2011 NAQT SCT

Old college threads.
master15625
Rikku

Re: 2011 NAQT SCT

Post by master15625 »

Thanks very much.

Is there a place we register, just like the other sites do, online?

Thanks.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Yes, and I was hoping this would be up this morning. Let me just check to see if can do this myself, or if it takes R.-level admin privileges on naqt.com...

Edit: done. You can register for the New England SCT here.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Just as a reminder: if your school wants to send teams to more than one SCT, you need to ask us for permission first. (In general, we will probably grant requests of the form "this will make travel easier/cheaper somehow" and probably deny requests of the form "we're trying to qualify our B team for ICT".)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Is there a place to go to get a quick run-down on DI-DII combined SCTs? In particular, I'm curious about how many teams would be needed to avoid a combined field and how qualification from such a field works.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

cournfused wrote:Is there a place to go to get a quick run-down on DI-DII combined SCTs? In particular, I'm curious about how many teams would be needed to avoid a combined field and how qualification from such a field works.
You need 4 in a division to avoid a combined field.
Important Bird Area

There doesn't seem to be a guide to this on naqt.com; that's something I should write over the summer for the 2012 SCT.

Meanwhile:

-As Donald notes, it requires four teams in a division to avoid a combined field.

-Combined fields use the question set appropriate to a majority of the teams in the field. In the case of 2, 4, or 6 team fields evenly divided between the two divisions, NAQT makes a decision as to which set is appropriate, given the experience of the players involved.

-Division I teams do not get autobids for winning a combined field*; they may, however, qualify for ICT depending on the strength of their D-value. A Division II team that wins a combined-field SCT with at least four teams in attendance does receive an autobid.

*(unless there are at least four Division I teams in attendance)

Update 2/14: R. informs me that the above is subtly incorrect; the overall champion of an SCT with at least four teams always receives an autobid, no matter the division structure involved.
Important Bird Area

naqt.com wrote:The last day for players to request an eligibility exception to compete in the 2011 Sectional Championship Tournaments is Saturday, January 29, 2011. To request an exception, send an e-mail to [email protected].
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Crossposting from the Region 7 thread, where there was a question about discounts for teams with fewer than four players:

Shorthanded teams are free to ask SCT hosts for discounts (as applicable to their situation). Hosts are still required to send NAQT the standard per-team fee ($40 for the first team and $35 from subsequent teams; $20 new-team discount)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Some of the SCT announcements on ACUI websites have copied over boilerplate ACUI language about requiring advisors, eligibility forms, or presence at a Friday night orientation meeting on penalty of fines or disqualification. Can I trust that quizbowl teams are blanketly exempt from these policies and that NAQT will back us up if anyone is misinformed about that fact?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

bt_green_warbler wrote:Hosts are still required to send NAQT the standard per-team fee ($40 for the first team and $35 from subsequent teams; $20 new-team discount)
Hosts send fees to NAQT? This only applies when teams pay the hosts directly, right?
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Any idea when eligibility exceptions will be confirmed or denied? In Region 11, Fort Hays State is the one I'm concerned about. I'm trying to pull staff, and it would be helpful to know how many more staff I need.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

bmcke wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:Hosts are still required to send NAQT the standard per-team fee ($40 for the first team and $35 from subsequent teams; $20 new-team discount)
Hosts send fees to NAQT? This only applies when teams pay the hosts directly, right?
Yeah, my understanding of what happened last year is that we just receive $n less in the mail from NAQT.
Andrew Watkins
Important Bird Area

Matt Weiner wrote:Can I trust that quizbowl teams are blanketly exempt from these policies and that NAQT will back us up if anyone is misinformed about that fact?
Yes.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

bmcke wrote:
That is correct; we invoice teams directly and will then reimburse the hosts following SCT. The only case where hosts should be collecting payment from teams is the (rare) case of a team that insists on paying in cash.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

alexdz wrote:Any idea when eligibility exceptions will be confirmed or denied?
Soon. I will ask R. for an update as to "how soon".
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

SCT has been completed and was delivered to the hosts earlier this morning.

If you're hosting an SCT and have not received packets in your inbox, please contact me immediately.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The protest committee for the 2011 SCT will be Jeff Hoppes, R. Robert Hentzel, Andrew Yaphe, and Matt Keller.

You can contact us tomorrow at 1(888) 411-NAQT (411-6278).

(This is also the appropriate number to report travel/logistics issues, of the form "our car has a flat tire and we can't get in touch with the TD," etc.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute has agreed to assist in staffing the Region 2 SCT at SUNY-New Paltz. The RPI program will receive one automatic bid to the ICT.

Thanks to Aaron Cohen and his teammates for their willingness to help us out with staffing on short notice.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

bt_green_warbler wrote:There doesn't seem to be a guide to this on naqt.com; that's something I should write over the summer for the 2012 SCT.

Meanwhile:

-As Donald notes, it requires four teams in a division to avoid a combined field.

-Combined fields use the question set appropriate to a majority of the teams in the field. In the case of 2, 4, or 6 team fields evenly divided between the two divisions, NAQT makes a decision as to which set is appropriate, given the experience of the players involved.

-Division I teams do not get autobids for winning a combined field*; they may, however, qualify for ICT depending on the strength of their D-value. A Division II team that wins a combined-field SCT with at least four teams in attendance does receive an autobid.

*(unless there are at least four Division I teams in attendance)

Update 2/14: R. informs me that the above is subtly incorrect; the overall champion of an SCT with at least four teams always receives an autobid, no matter the division structure involved.
In regards to the update, is this a rule change for this year? Last year, the only teams that this rule could have affected were Illinois-A (http://justpredictions.webs.com/quizbow ... egion9.htm) and Rice (http://justpredictions.webs.com/quizbow ... gion12.htm). At the time, I was told Rice (as D-2 champion of a D-1-heavy combined field) did receive a bid, but Illinois (as D-1 champion of a D-2-heavy combined field) did not (so as to not reward a single D-1 team that beats multiple D-2 teams automatically qualifying, despite them possibly having poor statistics. Obviously, Illinois's statistics were sufficient to qualify them, but I distinctly recall worry on the part of some of their players that the strength-of-schedule and divisional-adjustment would leave them close to or below the cutoff.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Important Bird Area

jonpin wrote:I distinctly recall worry on the part of some of their players that the strength-of-schedule and divisional-adjustment would leave them close to or below the cutoff.
I recall this as well; basically, I was wrong and Illinois A did automatically qualify last year. My apologies for the ongoing confusion about this issue.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF