Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at Maryland (10/9)

Old college threads.
Batsteve
Lulu

Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at Maryland (10/9)

Post by Batsteve »

The University of Maryland College Park is hosting a mirror of the Early Autumn Collegiate Novice on Saturday, October 9th.

Precise logistics are To Be Announced, but we anticipate starting the tournament at the classic Jimenez Hall shortly after 9:00.

Fee Structure
Base fee: $15/player [$60 for a 4 person team]
$5 off the base fee for schools per working buzzer system provided
$10 off the base fee for schools per moderator used [needs to be approved]
$10 off the base fee for schools for each 100 miles traveled
Minimum fee: $5/player

Eligibility Rules
The following are the eligibility rules for this, as per the editors.

1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits).
ii. If you were ever on a playoff team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

Email registrations to [email protected]. Include the number of people, the number of teams, the number of buzzers, and any moderators you intend on bringing.
SteveJon
Unaffiliated
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at Maryland (10/9)

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Two quick points:
A) I'm kinda disappointed that this is so late- was this like, the first weekend you could get from the reservations office? If at all possible it would be pretty great to have this tournament before EFT.
B) Andrew Hart has noted in the Harvard thread that he would like if at all possible for mirrors of this tournament to start later that usual. Will that be the case at this site?
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

A) I'm kinda disappointed that this is so late- was this like, the first weekend you could get from the reservations office? If at all possible it would be pretty great to have this tournament before EFT.
I think at least one other Novice tournament is running at least this late, but that's rather incidental. I actually disagree that hosting this tournament "later" (I mean, this is 3-5 weeks after classes begin for people, right?) is such a bad thing. If we held this tournament two weeks earlier, it would be nigh impossible to solicit teams by calling various local student activity co-ordinators, as I plan to do; people just won't have been back on campus long enough. I also sincerely doubt that a player construct exists that could both A) Go to EFT first and then not want to play quizbowl ever again AND B) Go to novice first, be totally cool with quizbowl, proceed to EFT one week later and continue to be totally cool. The point of this tournament is very much to recruit people - and particular, schools - with no active circuit experience. I think having a month to work with is going to play to our benefit or, at minimum, have no negative effects.
B) Andrew Hart has noted in the Harvard thread that he would like if at all possible for mirrors of this tournament to start later that usual. Will that be the case at this site?
Yeah, we can certainly start at 10:00 am or whatever works for people.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Batsteve
Lulu

Post by Batsteve »

Field Update:

VCU
UMBC x2
Ursinus
Princeton x3
George Washington (x2?)
George Mason
Maryland House (some number)
Last edited by Batsteve on Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveJon
Unaffiliated
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

Contrary to what I told you at EFT, we won't actually be attending. Too many of our freshmen can't come due to parents' weekend.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

We've received a number of new registrations (mostly from people in person at the VCU EFT site), but do shoot us an email to confirm your attendance if you aren't listed in the field.

The start time for this tournament, in accordance with ACF novice mandate, will be 10 am. We'll be meeting in Jimenez Hall, room 0301. There is no home football game this weekend, so there should be no problems parking or getting to campus, but anyone with questions should feel free to email me.

EDIT: Just kidding, the room we're in is actually 0105 - 0301 isn't real, so if you're there now, you should probably leave ASAP.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Although no one's probably reading this now, we're meeting in room 0105 instead of room 0301.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Maryland B (Ozzie and "The Other" Monica) beat Maryland A (Isaac "only down 180? That's no biggie" Hirsch and Will(?)) to win this. Princeton B beat VCU for third.

This set was really really good.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:This set was really really good.
Can't wait to see it and read it at practice eventually. When is the final mirror of this tournament?
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Congratulations to Maryland B (Ozzie Fallick, Monica Remmers), who defeated Maryland A (Isaac Hirsch, Will Wieprecht) 435-250 in the finals of the Early Autumn Collegiate Novice tournament. After prelims and playoffs, we were left with a spiffy four-way tie between both Maryland squads, VCU (Cody, Samantha, Harrison, Jonathan), and Princeton B (Aaron S, Aaron K, Seokmin, Steve). Teams were ranked by ppg and and played a semifinals-finals series. UMD B defeating VCU 340-320 in a tremendously close game that was decided on the last tossup after VCU had held solid control of the lead for most of the second half. UMD A staged a staggering comeback (as referenced by George's post above) against Princeton B, prevailing 420-290 after (I think?) being down 290-110 at one point. Princeton B then defeated VCU 355-85 in the the 3rd/4th game.

Princeton A and Ursinus (in an impressive showing at the first ever tournament) rounded out the top playoff bracket, while Princeton C won the consolation bracket.

Full stats are available at http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings.

Thanks to the editors for a great set, and to the teams for coming out - I was really excited to see so many new faces in our neck of the woods, and look forward to seeing you all around for quite some time. Thanks also to George Berry from VCU, Ben Cole from George Mason, and Abe and Elisabeth from Ursinus for staffing. Extra special thanks to Dan Humphrey for filling in after a series of comical misfortunes befall our staffing corps and helping us stay on track, and extra extra special thanks to Matt Weiner of VCU for moderating for us despite having a cold. Seriously appreciated dude.

I echo George's comments that this set was quite good, and hope this event continues in the future.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE