ACF Regionals 2011 Global Announcement (February 26, 2011)

Old college threads.
#1 Mercury Adept
Wakka

Re: ACF Regionals 2011 Global Announcement (February 26, 2011)

Post by #1 Mercury Adept »

Ar$oni$t$ Get All the Girl$ wrote:There may or may not be a very delated ACF regionals mirror at Tulane on the 19th so not all of them are done yet (at least not for sure).
Ah, OK. Somehow I failed to see that thread.
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Are all the mirrors done? Will the packets be released soon?
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

tiwonge wrote:Are all the mirrors done? Will the packets be released soon?
I am wondering this too.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

jonah wrote:
I am wondering this too.
Yes and yes. They'll be up this week.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Ukonvasara wrote:
jonah wrote:
I am wondering this too.
Yes and yes. They'll be up this week.
Pretty please?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

While we've been happy with not paying anything for the questions, I imagine that people would also appreciate invoices, assuming we're not the only ones who haven't received one.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Post by Sun Devil Student »

Charbroil wrote:While we've been happy with not paying anything for the questions, I imagine that people would also appreciate invoices, assuming we're not the only ones who haven't received one.
Actually, that reminds me, ASU submitted an optional packet for this, so we were supposed to have a $50 credit with ACF (we had only house teams at our mirror, so no mirror fees), but I forgot to use the credit at ACF Nationals... can we use it on the next ACF tournament we go to (probably ACF Fall)?
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Sun Devil Student wrote:
Charbroil wrote:While we've been happy with not paying anything for the questions, I imagine that people would also appreciate invoices, assuming we're not the only ones who haven't received one.
Actually, that reminds me, ASU submitted an optional packet for this, so we were supposed to have a $50 credit with ACF (we had only house teams at our mirror, so no mirror fees), but I forgot to use the credit at ACF Nationals... can we use it on the next ACF tournament we go to (probably ACF Fall)?
Hey, I think I need to clear up some misconceptions about how these things work.

There's not such thing as "ACF credit." I'm not sure where people are getting this idea but I am aware of multiple instances of folks saying things like "we wrote for ACF tournament X but didn't get our discount/our packet wasn't used/something??? I CAN HAZ CREDITS PLZ?!" Each ACF tournament is effectively independent as far as money collection goes, so doing something for ACF Regionals means you should really settle your issues with ACF Regionals and not whoever edits Nationals, and so on. Obviously, you should get your money but right now there's no real way for you to get it from ACF editors who didn't work on the tournament you attended. Maybe that will change in the future but that's the state of things today.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
#1 Mercury Adept
Wakka

Post by #1 Mercury Adept »

Wait, you mean for the tournament, right? Or has quizbowl gone back to the "sell questions to the attending teams" model without my noticing? Or am I just being really dense and failing to figure out where the packets are posted (all I know is that it's not collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com, Stanford Archive, or ACF)?
M(ir)ia(m) Nussbaum
Former player for Ithaca High School, Cornell, MIT
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Repulse class ship of the line wrote:
Wait, you mean for the tournament, right? Or has quizbowl gone back to the "sell questions to the attending teams" model without my noticing? Or am I just being really dense and failing to figure out where the packets are posted (all I know is that it's not collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com, Stanford Archive, or ACF)?
We hosted and never received an invoice so we could bill our school to pay Rob Carson for the questions we used in hosting. On an unrelated note, the questions also haven't been sent to any of the archives.

Addendum: I was also commenting that other hosts may be experiencing the same issue.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Post by Sun Devil Student »

grapesmoker wrote:
Sun Devil Student wrote:
Hey, I think I need to clear up some misconceptions about how these things work.

There's not such thing as "ACF credit." I'm not sure where people are getting this idea but I am aware of multiple instances of folks saying things like "we wrote for ACF tournament X but didn't get our discount/our packet wasn't used/something??? I CAN HAZ CREDITS PLZ?!" Each ACF tournament is effectively independent as far as money collection goes, so doing something for ACF Regionals means you should really settle your issues with ACF Regionals and not whoever edits Nationals, and so on. Obviously, you should get your money but right now there's no real way for you to get it from ACF editors who didn't work on the tournament you attended. Maybe that will change in the future but that's the state of things today.
So I take it we should talk to Golden Gopher Rob Carson, since he was the ACF Regionals editor? I'll make sure my successors at ASU Quizbowl know about this next time ASU plays at any tournament he edits.
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Sun Devil Student wrote:So I take it we should talk to Golden Gopher Rob Carson, since he was the ACF Regionals editor? I'll make sure my successors at ASU Quizbowl know about this next time ASU plays at any tournament he edits.
In general you should take all your questions about a tournament to that tournament's head editor, unless otherwise specified.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Charbroil wrote:
Repulse class ship of the line wrote:
We hosted and never received an invoice so we could bill our school to pay Rob Carson for the questions we used in hosting. On an unrelated note, the questions also haven't been sent to any of the archives.

Addendum: I was also commenting that other hosts may be experiencing the same issue.
Hey, I still haven't been compensated for editing work done on this tournament. Have schools received invoices? If not, this has reached "fucking insane" status; whether or not they have, I want my filthy lucre.
Andrew Watkins