ACF Fall at the University of South Carolina (11/6/10)

Old college threads.
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

ACF Fall at the University of South Carolina (11/6/10)

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

The Academic Team at the University of South Carolina will be hosting ACF Fall for the Southeast region on Saturday, November 6, 2010 in Columbia.

This tournament is packet submission for any college team that has a player who played collegiate quizbowl before September 1, 2009. More information regarding this requirement and the due dates and distribution for packets can be found here and here. Packets should be submitted to [email protected].

The tournament will take place in the Close-Hipp Building (Moore School of Business). Check-in will begin at 8:00 AM, morning announcements will be at 8:45, and play will begin at 9:00.

Teams must register prior to the day of the tournament in order to play. Please e- mail me at ericd25 at hotmail dot com with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details. I will e-mail my team contacts with necessary information as we approach the tournament. Feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:

As per ACF standards, the base fee for teams is $120. Discounts are available as follows:

• $5 off for each [functional] buzzer set.
• $10 off for each staffer.
• $5 for a laptop: only 1 allowed per team.
• $10 off for every 200 miles you traveled (as determined by mapquest).
• $25 for every team that is new to ACF
• $75 off for every team that is new to quizbowl.
• $50 off for high school teams

Minimum fee: $0

Also, there are packet submission discounts and penalties as follows:

Packet submitted before 11:59 PM on:
Sept 19, 2010: -$50
Sept 26, 2010: -$25 (-$50 for teams not required to submit packets)
Oct 10, 2010: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets)
Oct 17, 2010: +$25
Oct 24, 2010: +$50
After Oct. 24, 2010: The editors may grant one or more 24-hour extensions at an additional penalty of $10 per day.

DIRECTIONS:

The tournament will take place in the Close/Hipp Building (The Moore School of Business). We will meet in room 401. The address is 1705 College Street. There are a few meter parking lots in the immediate vicinity and several parallel meters along Barnwell, College, and Pendleton streets. The regular meters are not checked on Saturdays, though there are a few 15 minute meters that are. The Cocky mascot is pointing to the building here, and the green represents the metered lots. Located in the geographic center of South Carolina, Columbia is a fairly short drive from anywhere in South Carolina. It is 1.5 hours from Charlotte, 3.5 hours from Atlanta, and 3.5 hours from the Research Triangle.

QUESTIONS: ACF Fall is one of the most accessible tournaments of the year. Prior ACF Fall tournaments may be accessed at http://acf-quizbowl.com/archive.php.

FORMAT: The format will vary depending on the number of teams that register, but we will strive to offer all teams at least 10 games, and we will keep individual statistics. Trophies will be awarded to the top 2 teams, and book prizes will be awarded to at least the top 8 individual scorers.

RULES: We’ll follow ACF rules, which are located at http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/acfrules_final.pdf.

We encourage players to familiarize themselves with these rules prior to the event, and we will have a brief overview of the rules on the morning of the tournament.

METHOD OF PAYMENT: We will accept payment on the day of the tournament by cash or check, and we will provide receipts on site. Please contact me as soon as possible if other methods of payment are necessary so that we can make appropriate arrangements. Checks should be made payable to the “Academic Team at USC.”

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, though only four may play at one time. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day—no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with as few as one players.

FOOD: Breakfast and lunch will not be provided. There are a large number of eateries on and around campus, and we will provide teams with a food guide.

Please e-mail me if you have any further questions. We aim to put on a great event for all teams
who attend.

Field Update:

UNC (1 team)
Dorman (2 teams)
USC House Teams (3 teams)

Interested:

Wake Forest
Last edited by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:52 am, edited 8 times in total.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
lazcisco
Lulu

Re: ACF Fall at the University of South Carolina (11/6/10)

Post by lazcisco »

UNC will send two teams.
Lenny Evans
North Carolina School of Science and Math '07
University of North Carolina '11
Auron

Glad to hear you're coming, UNC.

This is a note for teams planning on coming to this tournament: South Carolina is playing Arkansas in football that day. Game time has not been set yet, but there will likely be a decent amount of traffic, though it shouldn't cause significant delays. If the game is a noon game, it is highly advisable to get to the tournament site closer to 8:00 A.M. than 9.

I will note that, unlike most schools, USC's stadium is several miles from campus, so traffic isn't a nightmare here like other schools with similar-sized stadiums. I just wanted to provide fair warning.
Eric D.
Auron

We have a few schools signed up already, but there's room for plenty more. Feel free to contact me at ericd25 at hotmail dot com to register.
Eric D.
Auron

A few updates:

First, the tournament will take place in the Close/Hipp Building (The Moore School of Business). We will meet in room 401. The address is 1705 College Street. There are a few meter parking lots in the immediate vicinity and several parallel meters along Barnwell, College, and Pendleton streets. The regular meters are not checked on Saturdays, though there are a few 15 minute meters that are. The Cocky mascot is pointing to the building here, and the green represents the metered lots.

Second, the South Carolina-Arkansas game will be at 7:00 pm Saturday night. This means that morning traffic should be normal but post-tournament traffic will be heavy. Post-tournament traffic on Interstates 20, 26, and 77 outbound should be normal, though.
Eric D.
lazcisco
Lulu

Post by lazcisco »

It turns out we have enough people interested for two teams, but don't have enough drivers, so we'll only be able to send one team. Sorry about that.

Are there only three schools signed up?
Lenny Evans
North Carolina School of Science and Math '07
University of North Carolina '11
Auron

lazcisco wrote:It turns out we have enough people interested for two teams, but don't have enough drivers, so we'll only be able to send one team. Sorry about that.

Are there only three schools signed up?
Yeah, so far it's UNC, Dorman, and South Carolina. South Carolina is capable of fielding 3-4 quality teams in order to make the field at least 6 teams. Usually we get a few teams to sign up at the last minute as well. Wake has expressed interest, and I wouldn't be surprised if Wofford, North Greenville, or some other schools sign up.

Also, have you considered talking with another team in the triangle about coming? I've tried contacting Duke, and I know NC State has also been to a tournament or two this semester. Perhaps you all could work out a driving arrangement or something with one of those teams. But we're happy with any UNC team we can get.
Eric D.
Auron

I sent the pre-tournament e-mail to the teams who signed up. Lenny, I sent it to what I think is your e-mail account. If you didn't get it, contact me at ericd25 at hotmail dot com and I'll send it.

Also, any schools thinking of signing up should contact me ASAP.

Field Update:

Dorman (2 teams)
UNC
USC (3 teams)
Eric D.
Auron

Congratulations to the University of North Carolina for winning the Southeastern ACF Fall at USC. They finished with a 10-2 record. USC B finished second with a 8-4 record followed by Dorman A at 7-5.

Thanks to everyone for coming. I hope everyone had a good time. Special thanks to Bryn and Sarah for reading.

Stats are located here: http://results.scobo.net/USCarolina/ACFFall.
Eric D.