Minnesota Open Discussion

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: Minnesota Open Discussion

Post by Mike Bentley »

grapesmoker wrote:
Cheynem wrote:I guess that's fair...but I didn't. I mean, was this like confusing to someone? Did someone think this was like a specific series of Bourke White photographs or like some weird-ass tossup on "Twentieth Century Photographs"? Unless this question was drastically confusing (which I maintain, if you know what's going on, I'm not sure why it would be), then this is really coming down to just an aesthetic difference in answer lines, which is understandable if fruitless to discuss. I used "Photos of Bourke-White" as an answer-line, you wouldn't, and that's great.
I thought it was perfectly clear what was being asked for.
Eh, I was a little confused. Maybe it was some series by Bourke-White or something? I ultimately figured it out, but just asking about Bourke-White would have probably been clearer.

For what it's worth, like Auroni, I buzzed in on Porter after determining it was "the protagonist of Look Back in Anger" and couldn't remember his name. But I can probably see the argument that this guy is famous enough to be tossed up in his own right.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

grapesmoker wrote:Again, I felt like the "he changed his super-Jewish name" anecdote was not terrible helpful
For what it's worth, I think this is where Bruce buzzed, so I guess it was helpful to at least one person.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Here are the things I wrote from scratch:

Tossups: ee cummings, tam o'shanter, invention of morel, ben shahn, bruckner's fourth, bogatyrs, b traven, battle of nagashino, mark helprin, botchan, thomas blood, alan hovhaness, sobek, cave story, corinna's going a-maying, bertolt brecht, mathis der maler, hermes, pastoral symphonies, sept 1, 1939, zadig, gta: vice city, gigantes, once were warriors, iguanodon, beethoven's string quartets, deianeira, superman, annibale carracci, burns family, jean rhys, donald barthelme, ballad of reading gaol, penderecki, oliver wendell holmes sr., first duino elegy, confessions of a mask, german requiem, joseph knecht, giovanni verga, chalchiuhtlicue, metamorphosis of narcissus, aum shinrikyo

Bonuses: bloom/fiedler/cahan, fowles/magus/manticore, max frisch bonus, travel lit bonus, context-free grammars bonus, kol nidre/alkan/schelomo, hadid/fluxus/hermitage, dumezil/indra/ashvins, 1958 nfl championship bonus, kaufman collaborations bonus, generation of 27 bonus, bulgars bonus, ockeghem/josquin/l'homme arme, grand opera bonus, great chain of being bonus, children of pallas bonus, shaolin soccer etc. bonus, ts eliot bonus, industrial chem processes bonus, trombones in classical music bonus, tyrfing/berserkers/wayland, massive attack/bittersweet symphony/hirst, tsvetaeva/petersburg/the idiot, mao dun/ha jin/akutagawa, brillouin zones etc. bonus, french academic painters bonus, musicologists bonus, further adventures of heracles bonus, transcendentalism bonus, urban sociologists bonus, conrad aiken etc. bonus, australian lit bonus, mozart family bonus, finnish myth bonus, golden age roman lit bonus, third man/wyler/touch of evil, classical era classical music bonus, ryujin/alpheus/phorcys, justine/durrell and de sade/pasolini, pre-shakespearean english lit bonus, joyce characters bonus, south african lit bonus, mahler bonus, herzog and de meuron bonus, emanations in myth bonus, calvin and hobbes bonus, faulkner bonus, brontes bonus, frank lloyd wright bonus, ullikummi/ea/anu

Any criticisms/complaints/suggestions/etc.?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Ukonvasara wrote:iguanodon
This was pretty great. I was fully expecting to buzz on Bernissart-coal-mine clues for Iguanodon at some point over the weekend; I just expected it to be lurking in Bruce's side event, not the main tournament.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Pilgrim wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:Again, I felt like the "he changed his super-Jewish name" anecdote was not terrible helpful
For what it's worth, I think this is where Bruce buzzed, so I guess it was helpful to at least one person.
Yes. I knew that clue because I read it while researching the tossup on him for Wild Kingdom.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The Philippians tossup unfortunately contained a hose for 2 Timothy, as both books have the verse where Paul says he is being "poured out like a drink offering." I understand this hosed Columbia, and I apologize. The 2 Timothy usage is actually the more famous one, too. I think what happened was that I read over Philippians again for the tossup, saw the verse, recognized it as memorable, and thought this was where it was used, not realizing it was used in another place. As far as I know, all the other clues are unique to Philippians.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Cheynem wrote:The Philippians tossup unfortunately contained a hose for 2 Timothy, as both books have the verse where Paul says he is being "poured out like a drink offering." I understand this hosed Columbia, and I apologize. The 2 Timothy usage is actually the more famous one, too. I think what happened was that I read over Philippians again for the tossup, saw the verse, recognized it as memorable, and thought this was where it was used, not realizing it was used in another place. As far as I know, all the other clues are unique to Philippians.
There's something like that in one of the Psalms, too...

OK, found it in Psalm 22: "I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels."
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Eh, that doesn't seem as similar as the other two verses, although I guess translations may play a role. The context of the first two clues would also seem to rule out Psalms, in my opinion.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

paging papool
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White