Classics Tournament Discussion

Old college threads.
dsimons
Lulu

Classics Tournament Discussion

Post by dsimons »

I'm pretty sure most everyone who wanted to hear this set has heard it, so I'll open it up to discussion. If you haven't heard it yet and want a copy, send me an email at dallas.simons at gmail. Also, I ended up taking the unused questions I thought were too hard and wrote some more for a series of five rounds of short speedcheck questions called the "Julius Classicus" tournament. These answers are all extremely obscure and designed for a different audience, but if anyone wants to see those feel free to send me an email as well.

In terms of the questions themselves, they were all written by me. I know some of the Greek questions may have been a weaker than the Roman ones on the whole, and there may have been some issues about things I thought were less/more well-known than they actually were, but I'm pleased with how the tournament turned out altogether.
Dallas Simons
MLK '08
Harvard '12
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Re: Classics Tournament Discussion

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

This set was a delight to play, even if I didn't know what was going on with half of the literature tossups. I especially enjoyed the creative joke tossups.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

You may have made my entire day by allowing me to power a tossup on Leucippe and Clitophon. Keep in mind that this is a day during which I'd previously heard somewhere near 400 videogame tossups.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Ukonvasara wrote:You may have made my entire day by allowing me to power a tossup on Leucippe and Clitophon. Keep in mind that this is a day during which I'd previously heard somewhere near 400 videogame tossups.
Achilles Tatius FTW.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.