University of Minnesota Morris Trash Tournament Spring 2011

Old college threads.
hartm242
Lulu

University of Minnesota Morris Trash Tournament Spring 2011

Post by hartm242 »

The University of Minnesota Morris is planning a trash tournament this Spring. There will be more information available on this thread once we have a better idea of where and how we will holding this tournament. What I would like from this thread is to ask for a preliminary head count: Presumably the registration fee will be nominal and we would start the tournament around 9am or so to let everyone from the Twin Cities get here without waking up at an unreasonable hour. Would you all be willing to drive out to Morris, MN for a trash tournament on an upcoming Saturday? Possibly we will be working in conjunction with the University of St. Thomas and their Quiz Bowl team; St. Thomas has volunteered to lend us their facilities in exchange for the Morris team to the write questions, but the Morris team is strongly considering hosting this tournament on our own campus, and perhaps we will share the responsibility with St. Thomas for running the meet. If anyone is interested in coming to our trash tournament, please respond to this thread so I have evidence to give to my Student Activities Director that this tournament would generate enough interest to warrant some institutional support.
Joe Hartmann
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: University of Minnesota Morris Trash Tournament Spring 2011

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Assuming it doesn't conflict with another tournament, I'm sure we'd send a couple teams if you run it at St. Thomas. I can't guarantee the same attendance if it's at Morris, though.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

This also would assume cheap fees and some indication that these questions will be similar to acceptable standards for trash questions.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Cheynem wrote:This also would assume cheap fees and some indication that these questions will be similar to acceptable standards for trash questions.
Yeah, questions that are up to modern standards would be ideal.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
ArloLyle
Lulu

Post by ArloLyle »

I'd be interested in participating in this as either a team or free agent, whatever works, assuming it is an open tournament. St. Thomas would be preferable, but I would be willing to make the trip to Morris.
Arlo Lyle - Freelance Trash Player (MN)
--------------------------------------------------
Tulsa (2002-2005)
Georgia (2005-2007)
Alcoholics Synonymous (2002-2005,2007-2008)
Arlo and Ashley Plus Zero (2009)
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

Assuming no conflict with the dates, my team will definitely be there.

As much as I'd like to visit Morris, we'd strongly prefer a Twin Cities site. A day playing trash is a great day; a day playing trash and spending 6 hours in a car not as much.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Given that Penn's trash tournament is still happening, why not mirror that tournament?

If you need staff, I may consider coming up, depending on what weekend this is held on.
hartm242
Lulu

Post by hartm242 »

Do you have more information on Penn's trash tournament? Where do I contact these people? I would certainly consider us hosting a mirror if I can find out more information about when and where.
Joe Hartmann
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

hartm242 wrote:Do you have more information on Penn's trash tournament? Where do I contact these people? I would certainly consider us hosting a mirror if I can find out more information about when and where.
All of the information on Penn's trash tournament, including email contacts, is in this thread.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

According to the Penn Bowl Trash thread, this indeed will be a PBT mirror.

Can you confirm a date?
hartm242
Lulu

Post by hartm242 »

As of right now, the University of Minnesota Morris is mirroring Penn Bowl Trash on 2/26/11.

Matches will happen in John Q. Imholte Hall, which is located at 600 East 4th Street, Morris, MN 56267. Check-in will occur in Imholte 109 from 8:30 to 9:00. Matches will start as soon as all teams get there. Please park in the South Parking lot behind the Regional Fitness Center.

http://www.morris.umn.edu/visitors/down ... pusMap.pdf

HOTELS
If you're spending Friday or Saturday night in Morris, I would suggest the Best Northland Prairie Inn or the Super 8 a few blocks away, both on Highway 28.

FEE STRUCTURE & REGISTRATION
Post here with number of teams, number of experienced moderators, number of buzzers, and other things that might get you discounts such as miles traveled. This is the fee structure:

Each team: +$100
Each working buzzer system: -$5
Each competent moderator: -$5

If you have a question, post here. There's no limit on the number of buzzer systems and moderators you may bring, but the minimum fee is $80. Checks should be made out to UMM College Bowl and brought on the day of the tournament.

QUESTION SET
Penn Bowl trash is being written by Joe Nguyen and some other people from the University of Pennsylvania. It will consist of 12 rounds distributed thusly:
20/20 Total
4/4 Sports
4/4 Movies
4/4 TV
4/4 Music
2/1 or 1/2 Video Games
1/0 or 0/1 Comics
2/2 other (This will include a mix of food, consumerama, internet fads, trash lit, and questions which combine multiple elements of the distribution)

For more information, see the Penn Bowl Trash thread.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT
The tournament will consist of round-robin play. Our goal is to play 10 rounds. We're going to cap it at 16 teams.

CONTACT
Post here. For other questions, email me at [email protected]. For day-of-tournament emergencies, call me at (651)343-3590.
Joe Hartmann
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Hey,

ACF Regionals is being hosted at the University of Minnesota on February 26th (and I just realized now that I haven't posted an announcement thread yet, though it has been posted in the global announcement thread for a while now). I, and presumably the rest of my team, and further-presumably the rest of your potential field, would be quite appreciative if you could run this tournament on a different weekend! I'd certainly like to play it, for one thing.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
hartm242
Lulu

Post by hartm242 »

Okay. We'll change the date. Otherwise, everything else on the announcement is set. We'll host a mirror sometime in late March, perhaps.

Give us a few days to talk it over and I'll post an updated tournament date when we can reserve enough rooms on campus.
Joe Hartmann
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

hartm242 wrote: We'll host a mirror sometime in late March, perhaps.
If you end up on the weekend of March 19-20, I can't be there. Otherwise, my team will be there with one buzzer.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
hartm242
Lulu

Post by hartm242 »

I'm declaring that the UMM Penn Bowl mirror will be held on April 2nd instead of March 26th as previously indicated. Otherwise, everything else in the announcement is correct: we will still be in the Imholte building, same time, same fee, same distribution. Any questions, concerns, etc. contact me on this thread or through my e-mail.
Joe Hartmann
Susan

Post by Susan »

hartm242 wrote:I'm declaring that the UMM Penn Bowl mirror will be held on April 2nd instead of March 26th as previously indicated. Otherwise, everything else in the announcement is correct: we will still be in the Imholte building, same time, same fee, same distribution. Any questions, concerns, etc. contact me on this thread or through my e-mail.
This means you'll be hosting it against another Minnesota tournament (MUT). You may want to check the collegiate quizbowl calendar when choosing tournament dates to minimize conflicts with nearby tournaments.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
CaptainSwing
Lulu

Post by CaptainSwing »

Guys,

I'm assuming you have spring break Mar. 12 and Mar. 19. So what about Mar. 5 or Mar. 26? You would be in conflict with IO and Buzzerfest, but that is not near as bad as playing against ICT, Nats, or MUT.
Max Henkel
Carleton '14
Writer, NAQT
hartm242
Lulu

Post by hartm242 »

We're strongly considering March 26th or March 27th. I've heard that it would be easier for some teams to get to Morris on the 27th rather than the 26th. So I would like to ask you all whether Saturday or Sunday on that weekend would better. Right now we're favoring Sunday, but that date could change if there's opposition from multiple teams. I want to start a new 'UMM Penn Bowl' thread by Thursday night/Friday morning of February 3rd/4th and announce any new details (we may need to move from the John Q. Imholte Hall to another building on campus; I will know by Thursday...). So watch out for any updates next week.
Joe Hartmann
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Moved to archives to avoid confusion.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum