Imaginary Landscape no. 1 at HSNCT

Old college threads.
mhayes
Rikku

Re: Imaginary Landscape no. 1 at HSNCT

Post by mhayes » Mon May 30, 2011 12:50 am

I'd also like to thank Jonathan Magin and company for writing and running this event. It was well-run, the questions were well-constructed, and I had a really fun time.

It seems like there will be volunteers to run this event at PACE, which makes me glad. I think many people will enjoy this event, and if you are a classical music lover, I HIGHLY recommend participating in this.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Mon May 30, 2011 1:01 am

Does anybody have decent plug-in speakers to bring? Reportedly that did actually help the main event a lot. Also, would any other people be willing to run rooms, because if possible I would enjoy playing an actual tournament and not a shootout.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey » Mon May 30, 2011 6:18 pm

I'm in for helping moderate for the NSC incarnation of this tournament as well. I have all of the tournament files, and I can bring a flash drive so I can transfer them to the other moderators. I would be a big fan of having pizza delivered for all interested parties at the end of the rounds Saturday night, and starting rounds after the pizza was consumed.

I think I'll be able to bring speakers for myself, but not for anyone else. I thought the presence of speakers were quite beneficial to the tournament. If you would be able to bring some speakers for use in this, even if you don't necessarily wish to stick around for the actual tournament, it would be greatly appreciated.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15

theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA » Mon May 30, 2011 6:35 pm

The tournament was well-executed and generally fun to play. Thanks to Jonathan, Dave, and all of the other writers for doing a great job. Sorry for taking up a spot in the finals; I'm sure there were a few players in the second room who could have done a lot better than I did. Zev was generally dominant, congrats to him and everyone else for a tournament well played.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum

samer
Wakka

Post by samer » Mon May 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Papa's in the House wrote: I could stay late on Saturday night and do this. You'll have to put up with my crappy netbook speakers since that's all I'm bringing home for the weekend.
From a technical standpoint, I think the only real complaint is that for whatever reason, some of the words used in some of the questions were very difficult to comprehend. I imagine a netbook would amplify that problem.

Granted, that is sometimes more of an issue with the performance itself. To use a completely random example, it's a lot easier to understand the words of, say, Bach's Mass in B minor when it's performed with its original chamber orchestration than when it's performed by a full orchestra.
Last edited by samer on Mon May 30, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samer dot ismail -at- gmail dot com / Samer Ismail, PACE co-founder, NAQT editor

Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House » Mon May 30, 2011 7:22 pm

evilmonkey wrote:I would be a big fan of having pizza delivered for all interested parties at the end of the rounds Saturday night, and starting rounds after the pizza was consumed.
This is a wonderful idea.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012

magin
Yuna

Post by magin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:24 am

So, no one has contacted me and asked for the packets to run this yet. If someone wants to run this at PACE, he or she should contact me today.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:36 am

It sounds like Bryce already has the packets (?)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

magin
Yuna

Post by magin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:56 am

Cheynem wrote:It sounds like Bryce already has the packets (?)
Ah, that's right. Well, if there are any questions about the format or whatnot, don't hesitate to email me about them.
Jonathan Magin

evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:51 pm

So, I think I heard that NSC rounds should end no later than 6, so unless anyone objects we'll plan to start at 7 tomorrow. Ideally we can order some pizzas for people who want to play so we can get started more quickly. To that end, anyone who wants to play and wants to get pizza should email (or otherwise contact) me sometime before lunchtime tomorrow - I believe my email is linked on the right. I don't really know Northwestern, the buildings, or our ability to utilize them after 6, so I'll post a more definite location sometime tomorrow. As at HSNCT, there will be an entry fee of $15. If you have any further comments, questions, or concerns, feel free to email me.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:07 am

evilmonkey wrote:So, I think I heard that NSC rounds should end no later than 6, so unless anyone objects we'll plan to start at 7 tomorrow. Ideally we can order some pizzas for people who want to play so we can get started more quickly. To that end, anyone who wants to play and wants to get pizza should email (or otherwise contact) me sometime before lunchtime tomorrow - I believe my email is linked on the right. I don't really know Northwestern, the buildings, or our ability to utilize them after 6, so I'll post a more definite location sometime tomorrow. As at HSNCT, there will be an entry fee of $15. If you have any further comments, questions, or concerns, feel free to email me.
For people staffing PACE, the food should not be a concern.

Dan-Don
Yuna

Post by Dan-Don » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:18 am

We have the game rooms until 9:00 pm. So you should be fine to run this event in whatever game room you choose.
Dan Donohue, Saint Viator ('10), Northwestern ('14), NAQT

evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:58 pm

So, for those of you who didn't hear the announcement in the lunch staff room, interested parties should meet in Kresge 2430 at 7:00 (a time which may be changed due to tournament delays). We will get through as many rounds as we can before we get kicked out, and at that point we can continue at the Comfort Inn. Both Mike Peravonovic and I will have be able to transport people from Northwestern to the hotel after the tournament.

Edit: Depending on how far along tiebreaks are, simple quizbowl schedule mathcomp tells me that rounds might just be ending at 7:00. If that is the case, then we will not begin the tournament until 8:00.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15

evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:44 pm

Due to tournament delays and so forth, it looks like we're getting done at 7:30. Allowing an hour for eating, we'd be starting at 8:30, and getting kicked out at 9. Therefore, we have a new plan. Those interested in playing this tournament should convene in the Comfort Inn Lobby at 8:30, and once we know how many rooms we will need we will divide up into rooms.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15

evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:32 pm

Hey, anyone interested in this tournament - I won't be back to the hotel until 9, and I think we'll start around 930.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15

evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:57 am

So, this happened in the sense that there was some non-zero number of tossups heard. However it didn't happen in the sense that no formal tournament took place. We had a shootout using three of the packets between Matt Bollinger, Aaron Rosenberg, and Mike Cheyne in Mike Cheyne's hotel room.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:17 pm

This was really fun. I would love at some point to play the remaining packets, but I might just do them on my own time when they finally get released.

Jonathan, since we only played three packets in an informal setting, I'm not sure if you still want $15, but I can give you a smaller sum when I see you at CO. Perhaps I can buy you a beverage.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

magin
Yuna

Post by magin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Since the NSC mirror of this event didn't really materialize, are people interested in playing it at NASAT?
Jonathan Magin

The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:13 pm

magin wrote:Since the NSC mirror of this event didn't really materialize, are people interested in playing it at NASAT?
Sure, I'd love to play the other five packets of this.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Communications Officer, ACF

magin
Yuna

Post by magin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:01 pm

I have the go-ahead to announce a mirror of this tournament after NASAT finishes on Sunday. Anyone who wants to play, please email me at jonathan.magin@gmail.com.
Jonathan Magin