Wanted: Music and Science Writers for CO

Old college threads.
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Wanted: Music and Science Writers for CO

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Thought I'd throw this out there now in the discussion section, since nothing much seems to be going on right now.

I've accepted the editorship of Chicago Open this year. I'd like to retain writers for science and classical music. I'd prefer that you be able to handle as many parts of "science" as possible, though I'll consider people who only feel comfortable with certain areas too. Obviously, you'd be paid for your percentage portion of the tourney. (The classical music writer will also be responsible for bearing the inevitable wrath of some sector of the music mafia, and quarantining that wrath in some lonely post that sane people shouldn't read).

My email for any interested candidates: [email protected]
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Re: Wanted: Music and Science Writers for CO

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Since I have to take the boards in late July, I can't come to CO. I may be able to kick you a few bio questions, though.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown University, 2009
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, 2018
Medicine Intern, Yale-Waterbury, 2018-9
Dermatology Resident, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2019-

Writer, NAQT, NHBB, IQBT, ACF, PACE
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Hmmm...or, you could edit all of science?! Someone better do it, cause I'll write 29 tossups on Fadeev-Popov ghosts.

But I'd imagine you're gonna tell me "taking the boards" requires a lot of "work" or something...so, anything you can contribute would be appreciated.

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
mc1093alpha
Lulu

Post by mc1093alpha »

Although I am in no way qualified to edit all of science, I would be willing to write math/CS (and astronomy and physics, if need be).
Benjamin Horowitz
Yale '14
Simsbury High School '10
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Starting next year I'll start a "customized science question writing" service for a flat fee of $5 per question. Unfortunately I'm playing this year so you can't avail my services...
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

In the event that I can't attend CO, I would be happy to write a few music or other FA questions. And by a few, I don't mean writing all the FA for the editors' packets.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

I'm pleased to announce that SteveJon Guth will be editing the science for this event. SteveJon is free to subcontract as he wishes, and I know E. Mukherjee is pinching in on some bio.

If any somewhat experienced writer just wants to freelance some questions, for example if they can't come to CO (like Bryan's suggestion above), I'm more than happy to accept such questions and offer some compensation - just give me a heads up a little ahead of time and let me know what to expect from you in terms of questions if you want to do that.

DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I'm pleased to announce that SteveJon Guth will be editing the science for this event.
This will assuredly disappoint all of us who had come to expect a Chicago Open filled with tossups on fictional weather phenomena and Huysler alloys. Does this mean I need to find an actual science person? This sucks, please bring back tossups on the life and career of Inge Lehmann.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE