Distribution

Post by Important Bird Area »

Discuss the distribution here.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
SnookerUSF
Rikku

Re: Distribution

Post by SnookerUSF »

Hello,

As a staffer for New Paltz (Region 2) SCT DI site, I noticed anecdotally that there seemed to be a healthy increase in the amount of Phil./SS (is this actually the case) from previous incarnations, which I was excited to see (for unapologetically biased regions). But since my personal interests ought not to decide how NAQT should form its distribution did anyone feel that it took away from categories that you had felt were underrepresented in this year's SCT.

Would it be possible to paste in this thread the actual distribution of all the questions in the DI/DII SCT? It would be a nice baseline to establish reasonable discussions here rather than the usual impressionistic, fact-deficient (and ultimately pointless debates) that often take place in regard to NAQT's distribution.
Ahmad Ragab, itinerant moderator at the New School for Social Research

ACF Nationals 2011:"Too real for the streets"
-Auroni Gupta

"Can 40,000 redacted topic Tossups be wrong?"

"With my gnomes I'm highlighting the danger of political opportunism and right-wing ideology. I get the feeling that this gnome has reopened an old wound."
-Ottomar Hoerl
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

SnookerUSF wrote:Hello,

As a staffer for New Paltz (Region 2) SCT DI site, I noticed anecdotally that there seemed to be a healthy increase in the amount of Phil./SS (is this actually the case) from previous incarnations, which I was excited to see (for unapologetically biased regions). But since my personal interests ought not to decide how NAQT should form its distribution did anyone feel that it took away from categories that you had felt were underrepresented in this year's SCT.

Would it be possible to paste in this thread the actual distribution of all the questions in the DI/DII SCT? It would be a nice baseline to establish reasonable discussions here rather than the usual impressionistic, fact-deficient (and ultimately pointless debates) that often take place in regard to NAQT's distribution.
There were some changes to the distribution; I believe the current SCT/ICT distribution is available here. I don't know exactly what changes were made to last year's distribution to give the current version, but I'm pretty sure you're correct that there was more Phil./SS than last year. Hopefully Jeff can give us a full run-down on exactly which categories were bumped up/down.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

Maybe it was just me, but for the DII set I noticed very few Norse Myth questions which kind of surprised me. I heard from a teammate that the DI set had more Norse questions.
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Edward Elric wrote:Maybe it was just me, but for the DII set I noticed very few Norse Myth questions which kind of surprised me. I heard from a teammate that the DI set had more Norse questions.
There was 1/2 Norse myth in the DII set; one of the bonuses landed in the backup packet.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

setht wrote:There were some changes to the distribution; Hopefully Jeff can give us a full run-down on exactly which categories were bumped up/down.
I don't have text of this to hand (because the final version was generated in a phone call with R.)

Sometime this week I'll go through the files and produce a list of what precisely we adjusted.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF