Expanding the canon

Old college threads.

Which American novelist needs to start coming up in questions?

Sutton E. Griggs
11%
Harold Frederic
22%
John W. De Forest
22%
Royall Tyler
11%
William Gilmore Simms
33%

Total votes: 9

Baron Jacobi

Expanding the canon

Post by Baron Jacobi »

Having heard a few too many questions about Ernest Hemingway, I thought it was time to expand the canon of American novelists. Why ask the umpteenth question on "Huckleberry Finn" or "The Last of the Mohicans," when you could blaze new ground with a tossup on "Imperium in Imperio" or "The Algerine Captive"? Vote now for your favorite under-represented novelist, and I guarantee you'll hear questions on him next year.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Needs more John Esten Cooke.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

More asbestos...

and Abraham Cahan
QuizbowlPostmodernist
Wakka

Post by QuizbowlPostmodernist »

Hmmm...none of the above isn't an option. Maybe it's just because I haven't heard of any of those people, but I feel like repeating my belief that literature is the area least in need of canon expansion.

--Anthony
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

QuizbowlPostmodernist wrote:Hmmm...none of the above isn't an option. Maybe it's just because I haven't heard of any of those people, but I feel like repeating my belief that literature is the area least in need of canon expansion.

--Anthony
I hear that things posted on the internet may not always be meant in earnest. Just something I heard somewhere.
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Wow. William Gilmore Simms. As a good South Carolinian, I wouldn't mind seeing him come up some. But seeing as how I've never even seen him come up as a bonus question, I don't think I'll be writing anything on him. Interesting suggestion, though. Even if it was in jest.