ANNOUNCEMENT: VCU Open Mirror at Valencia (8/20)

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

ANNOUNCEMENT: VCU Open Mirror at Valencia (8/20)

Post by ValenciaQBowl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:26 am

Valencia College (yeah, we're the latest Florida CC to remove the word "community" from our name since we're now offering four BA degree programs in the health-related area) will host a mirror of the VCU Open on Saturday, August 20. Registration will begin at 9 am with matches starting around 10 am, and matches will take place in Building 9, the usual place.

The fee is $100; no packet submission is necessary since VCU is providing the questions.

Please e-mail me at cborglum at valenciacollege dot edu or post here to let me know if you're interested in joining us. More details will follow.

Field:
Borglum
Dallin and Ethan et al.
Valencia (2)
Manatee
South Florida CC
UCF
Billy Beyer!
Travis Vitello, Sean Platzer
Special Super Team to Make Ten Teams! (probably breaking Valencia into third team to weaken their hegemonic throat-grasp)
Last edited by ValenciaQBowl on Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah

Cheynem
Sin

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: VCU Open Mirror at Valencia (8/20)

Post by Cheynem » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:36 am

Are you also hosting the Sunday tournament?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:30 am

I asked some of our expected attendees if they would be interested in Sunday trash, but it appears that most don't want to stay overnight or do back-to-back 4-7-hour round trips. Right now it's unlikely, but I'll certainly keep asking as folks register, and if interest builds, I'll let you know.
Chris Borglum

Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:22 pm

ValenciaQBowl wrote:I asked some of our expected attendees if they would be interested in Sunday trash, but it appears that most don't want to stay overnight or do back-to-back 4-7-hour round trips. Right now it's unlikely, but I'll certainly keep asking as folks register, and if interest builds, I'll let you know.
If all else fails, Dallin and I will take on whatever minions you can scrounge up.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009

Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:20 am

Any updates?
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009

ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:18 pm

Sadly, no. Well, there's this: Boris (those of you who know will know who I mean; ifn you don't, you're missing out) will be in Clermont in the shadow of the statue of Vercingetorix, so I'm going to have to kind of TD while also playing. I hope Lena (as above) will be able to handle the packets, readers, and stats, but I'll arrange for Cody and VCU to send packets to her regardless, so I can still play. We may have to use folks on byes (if we end up with byes!) to read. We'll see.

Meantime, no new teams. I don't know if USC wants to come all the way down, or anyone else in the SE does. But in any case, quiz bowl will happen on August 20.
Chris Borglum

wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm obviously going.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU

sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:34 pm

Already known, but Sean and I will be there this weekend. Sarah, however, will most likely not be.
Travis Vitello
University of Florida '08
The Ohio State University '14
University of Virginia '21
Writer, NAQT

ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:17 pm

So I've edited the field update in the opening post in the thread to reflect the final field. It appears that Ian Mackenzie has rejoined the UCF fold, so I'll probably take a couple Valencians off their two teams and join them with Luke so we can stay with ten teams.

We'll get started around 9:15ish and be done, I hope, by 5:30.
Chris Borglum

ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:20 pm

So the Simon Critchley Fan Club (me) won this tournament in a ridiculously tight 200-195 final-round against the "UF Future" team of Dallin Kelson and Ethan Hewett. That match was decided when Dallin and Ethan were only able to pull 10 points on the last bonus following a Dallin power of toss-up 20. It was a great match, and probably the last time those guys won't win a tournament among teams in this state. They're very good and getting better, and I'm happy to see the UF program in such good hands.

As always, the people involved made it a fun experience for me and, I hope, for all involved. Some questions seemed a bit harder than D1 SCT level, but so it goes. Much thanks to Cody Voight for putting up with the voluminous paperwork my college is putting him through to get the fair dollar amount VCU deserves, and to those who wrote the packets, as well as to the alumni and friends of the Valencia program who staffed. Also, thanks to Mike Cheyne and those who helped write the VCU trash packets, which were much enjoyed over wings afterward.

Stats for the Open mirror will follow soon.
Chris Borglum

sychipola
Lulu

Post by sychipola » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:37 am

Stan Young, Chipola College