Fall Tournament at UF (Feeler Thread)

Old college threads.
Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Fall Tournament at UF (Feeler Thread)

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:40 pm

As I previously posted, the quizbowl circuit in the Southeast is (still) abysmal, and Dallin and myself have tossed around the idea of hosting a few fall tournaments next year. We would be like to write a tournament, but we are both relatively inexperienced and are also considering possible mirrors. With that being said, we agree that hosting good tournaments on good questions is just as important as our continued development as players, and as UF's newly appointed Tournament Director I can promise that we will host more tournaments this year than last. The exact details of our planned hosting calendar has yet to be decided, but we would like to know the expected interest in tournaments hosted in Gainesville. Gainesville is approximately 6 hours from UGA, 6 hours from Ga. Tech, 11 hours from WKU (not too bad Nick!), 8 hours from U of Alabama, 6 hours from USC, 11 hours from Ole Miss and 10 hours from Vanderbilt. I understand those travel times are by no means small, but every team is well within driving distance, and I would do everything in my power to find the lowest rates at hotels in Gainesville for you guys. There are so many good teams in our region that only playing each other at Sectionals is an injustice to every team listed above.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009

The Ununtiable Twine
Yuna

Re: Fall Tournament at UF (Feeler Thread)

Post by The Ununtiable Twine » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Jesus vs. Dragons wrote:We would be like to write a tournament, but we are both relatively inexperienced and are also considering possible mirrors.
Same here - maybe you'd be interested in combining your set with ours? This is just an idea of mine that I just came up with, and it's something that could be good for a discussion. I had a set of four or five editors ready to write a tournament - only caveat being that I don't think we'd be able to finish for the Fall (but the event is still on the docket). I suggested this to JT just now and he says it may be a good idea given that the absolute academic strengths of the members of both editing crews are sure to be different, which would probably make for good answer selection and better question writing in this case. I think if we do this, we should aim for the Spring to make sure that we have enough time to ensure that the set is of the highest quality possible.
Jesus vs. Dragons wrote: Gainesville is approximately 6 hours from UGA, 6 hours from Ga. Tech, 11 hours from WKU (not too bad Nick!), 8 hours from U of Alabama, 6 hours from USC, 11 hours from Ole Miss and 10 hours from Vanderbilt.
Good observation. Perhaps it would be in your best interests to host the main site event at a more central location, if possible. It would be a good idea a good percentage of these teams to make it to your tournament, and given your location, I don't think all of these teams would be able to make it.
Jesus vs. Dragons wrote:The exact details of our planned hosting calendar has yet to be decided, but we would like to know the expected interest in tournaments hosted in Gainesville.
Try not to rush into this just yet, I've been waiting for the newsletter to come out before thinking about hosting dates and whatnot. We have time.

EDIT: took out the big quote and moved this here
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana '04-'10, '14-'16, '18-'xx
Alabama '10-14
President, University of Louisiana at Lafayette Club for Academic Competition

The Ununtiable Twine
Yuna

Post by The Ununtiable Twine » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:56 pm

EDIT: accidental copy of my previous post. Don't know what happened.
Last edited by The Ununtiable Twine on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana '04-'10, '14-'16, '18-'xx
Alabama '10-14
President, University of Louisiana at Lafayette Club for Academic Competition

Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:32 pm

WKU probably wouldn't be able to make it to Florida, although we might consider it. However if you do indeed host the main site at UF, depending on the date, we would be more interested in bidding to mirror it for the Upper South/Lower Midwest region than making an 11 hour drive.

EDIT: Not to say, of course, that we're definitely going to rule out any trips to UF in the future. There is still a distinct possibility we would be interested if solely for the sake of regional competition.
Nick Conder
Louisville, KY

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."--Eugene V. Debs

Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:27 pm

Nick, if you all host a mirror at WKU, please let me know. We would be interested in sending anywhere from 3-5 teams.
Matt Church
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville

sonstige
Wakka

Post by sonstige » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Schedule permitting, but I expect to be active in quiz bowl again this upcoming fall; that I work/live in Orlando means the more tournaments in the southeast (UF in particular) the better.
Travis Vitello
University of Florida '08
The Ohio State University '14
University of Virginia '21
Writer, NAQT

TulaneKQB
Wakka

Post by TulaneKQB » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Tulane is interested in the goings-on elsewhere in the Southeast. Please keep us posted.
Ryan McLaren
President, Tulane University Krewe of Quiz Bowl (2009-12)
Member, Louisiana Quiz Bowl (http://www.louisianaquizbowl.org/)
Tulane University Law School '15

Jesus vs. Dragons
Tidus

Post by Jesus vs. Dragons » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:03 am

Hey Ryan, info on UF's first tournament can be found here.
Ethan Hewett
UF 2013
Chipola College 2010
Sneads High School 2009