Filling out the Mid-Atlantic Calendar

Old college threads.
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Filling out the Mid-Atlantic Calendar

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

Terrapin has yet to be announced, and it's supposed to be in eight weeks.

There is currently no Mid- Atlantic ACF Fall host. Last year's incarnation had 13 teams; there is clearly sufficient demand for at least one site in the Corridor.

These are both tournaments our team was eagerly planning to attend, and frankly I'm getting a little worried.

Thoughts?
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

I'll sign on with your concerns. It would be nice to hear more about Terrapin since we're pretty much a lock to attend.

I was surprised no Mid-Atlantic team bid on ACF Fall. I'd consider placing a bid, but it occurs on Princeton's fall break, so there would be no way to staff the tournament sufficiently. I'll consider driving to Rochester if we have to, though that would be an overnight trip, and MapQuest is quoting that as an extremely unappealing 6 hour drive.

So hopefully someone will step up for the M-A and get us our ACF Fall.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Maryland passed on hosting ACF Fall because the prospect of hosting 3 tournaments in a month was a little too much.

We're putting the final touches on the Terrapin announcement, and it should be out either today or tomorrow. Hope to see all of you there.

I'm hoping the same with regards to ACF Fall. We're already making an overnight trip to Cornell, and the response I've been getting from the team about making another trip of that length isn't that great.

Hopefully someone can step up.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Yuna

I'll admit our reasons for not wanting to host ACF Fall are a bit less compelling than Chris's and Dan's, but they are there. (We're hosting one other tournament in that general timeframe with a first-time TD and we really really want to play and not staff. I just don't have the time or energy necessary to lead anything myself this semester.)

Just to throw out a few hopeful possibilities and name schools that aren't aready hosting something this semester, I would hope that Delaware, Penn, and Columbia might all have large enough teams to host it. It's very hard to get into NYC by car, but if Columbia were to host and push the start time a little bit later, rail transportation could be a very viable option. (Note: I'm not sure to what extent anyone from those three teams reads this board, except for Samer...)

As for Rochester, 7 hours is simply too far away for a non-national, especially since we have an uncertain car situation this year (our driver graduated and we're scrambling to find a replacement.)
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

benjaminthedonkey wrote:I would hope that Delaware, Penn, and Columbia might all have large enough teams to host it.
I've actually gotta wonder a bit about Delaware's program. I know Baby Hen is another junior bird tournament that takes place around the same time as SNEWT, and I haven't seen an announcement for that.

Maybe I missed it.
benjaminthedonkey wrote:especially since we have an uncertain car situation this year (our driver graduated and we're scrambling to find a replacement.)
I doubt Swarthmore is in the same situation as Maryland is, but I know that student organizations here are allowed to rent vehicles from the campus motor pool, and you don't have to be over 25 to rent. Just a suggestion; I don't know if you've looked at that or not.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Yuna

UndercoverParrothead wrote:I've actually gotta wonder a bit about Delaware's program. I know Baby Hen is another junior bird tournament that takes place around the same time as SNEWT, and I haven't seen an announcement for that.

Maybe I missed it.
Yeah, I haven't heard it either. They did update their Maize Pages contacts this month, though, so they're certainly still around. Also, keep in mind that Unity Bowl took last year's Hen date.
UndercoverParrothead wrote:I doubt Swarthmore is in the same situation as Maryland is, but I know that student organizations here are allowed to rent vehicles from the campus motor pool, and you don't have to be over 25 to rent. Just a suggestion; I don't know if you've looked at that or not.
We do have something similar, but you need to get a van licence first, which is a process that has been increasingly hard in the past couple years, as it involves parallel parking a very large vehicle with many blind spots perfectly on the first try. And most of us have little experience driving. We should have someone with a van licence before too long, hopefully. (There is one person on the team with a car, but he's not very active, and the car is a tiny convertible that has trouble fitting in a third, let alone a fourth.)
Chris White
rukh214
Lulu

mid-atlantic bid

Post by rukh214 »

Rutgers-Newark is interested in hosting ACF Fall. Although this would be our first time hosting a tournament, we believe we have adequate resources and enough people to run it smoothly. I have emailed Matt C. and I await his reply. Our hosting acf fall, of course, depends on whether or not another school has yet made a bid for the mid-atlantic region. Moreover, according to a post by Matt, bids were supposed to have been made by August 16 (?) and since we have clearly passed the deadline, our request might not be honored. Anyway, the purpose of this post is to inform the M/A community that rutgers-newark is willing to host acf fall, for there is clearly a sufficient demand for a site in this region.
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

I commend Rutgers-Newark for putting in a bid for ACF Fall. There is no need to worry about being "rejected," as ACF is happy to add tournament sites to serve unserved regions. In addition, I noticed there is also no New England tournament site, so you will draw teams like Yale and Harvard--who rarely leave New England for tournaments--in addition to Princeton, Maryland, Swarthmore, etc. At least I hope those New England teams can put in the effort to travel 20 miles beyond NYC for a regular season tournament.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

I am still holding out hope that someone in the Boston area will step up and host.
Yuna

The prospect of ACF Fall at Rutgers-Newark is good news indeed.
Chris White
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

One thing I'd suggest to fill-out your schedule is someone out there mirroring Illinois Open again. As per last year, we are actively seeking potential mirror sites for our event on what we think fairly generous terms (e-mail me to discuss them, if you're interested.) Unlike last year, however, the Illinois Open will be less impossible. Since SNEWT is on 11/13, we're obviously looking for a delayed mirror.

MaS