ACF history distribution?

Old college threads.
nurgles_herald
Lulu

ACF history distribution?

Post by nurgles_herald »

I couldn't find a thread appropriate for this, but if there is one please feel free to edit this post into said thread. Taking a look at the history distribution, it is no wonder to me why I felt there were too many damned Europeans at last year's ACF fall and not nearly enough African, Middle-Eastern, Pre-Colombian, and Asian history- the distribution is waaaay off. A distribution of 2/3 or 3/2 (for European, Canadian, Australian) and 1/2 or 2/1 (for the rest of the World, minus American) would be 1.) much more representative of the course selections that most colleges make available nowadays and 2.) waaaay more fun to play if you're a history kid.

The current distribution, where Canada can receive the same amount of face-time in the tournament as the entire non-European or American world, is really, really stupid. No offense to Canada or anything. But really. That's dumb.
Walker Yeatman, State College alumnus
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Re: ACF history distribution?

Post by Tower Monarch »

I think this thread, or rather the pseudo-digressions in-thread, demonstrated there's no one good answer here.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

There's only 4/4 History in the first 20/20; the majority of what gets pushed beyond the first 20/20 is probably from the 3/3 ECA (and more likely from the up to 2/2 European) simply by virtue of it being the majority category and editors wanting to give a fair shake to all parts of the history distribution.

There is no chance of Canadian history getting the same representation as non-European/American history over an entire tournament: for one, it would have to be written on instead of Australian or European history for every packet and then every packet would have to to put 1 world history tossup or bonus after the first 20. That is never going to happen in an ACF tournament.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
nurgles_herald
Lulu

Post by nurgles_herald »

The gist I got from that thread is that, although there's no good answer, 20% MAX on World history was absolutely the *wrong* answer which, when getting ready to write our school's packet for ACF fall, I am starting to feel very strongly about. Either the distribution should be shifted slightly away from Euro and slightly more towards World or just make it 1/1 American, 2/2 European and other stuff, 1/1 World, and 1/1 your choice. Tbh, history majors are so widely distributed that the 1/1 your choice would probably make for better packets than the current ACF distribution.
Walker Yeatman, State College alumnus
Windows ME
Wakka

Post by Windows ME »

nurgles_herald wrote:The gist I got from that thread is that, although there's no good answer, 20% MAX on World history was absolutely the *wrong* answer which, when getting ready to write our school's packet for ACF fall, I am starting to feel very strongly about. Either the distribution should be shifted slightly away from Euro and slightly more towards World or just make it 1/1 American, 2/2 European and other stuff, 1/1 World, and 1/1 your choice. Tbh, history majors are so widely distributed that the 1/1 your choice would probably make for better packets than the current ACF distribution.
Being a Canadian who plays on ACF questions, I'm pretty sure I hear, like, one per tournament. If I'm lucky.

It's a straw man argument against the current distribution, and only in theory at that.
Sinan U.
U of Toronto 2010
U of Alberta 2015
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

nurgles_herald wrote: The current distribution, where Canada can receive the same amount of face-time in the tournament as the entire non-European or American world, is really, really stupid. No offense to Canada or anything. But really. That's dumb.
If this was true, then all Canadian teams would have an innate history advantage for all ACF events.

I mean, if HSNCT Canadiana tossups can be powered by Canadian middle-schoolers...

But (sadly) this isn't true. You only see one or two Canadian history questions per tournament. So the premise of your argument is wrong.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Oh look, a subjective opinion proffered repeatedly as indisputable fact.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source