Region 12 SCT at Texas A&M (02/04/2012)

Old college threads.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Region 12 SCT at Texas A&M (02/04/2012)

Post by evilmonkey »

Howdy!

Texas A&M Quizbowl is pleased to announce that we will be hosting NAQT-ACUI Region 12 Sectional Championship Tournament on Saturday, February 4th, 2012. The tournament will be held in the Wehner Building, located on the West Campus of Texas A&M University in College Station, TX. We will also be hosting a TERP mirror the following day - for more information, see the post in the trash forum of this board that will be appearing shortly.

Tentatively, the tournament will begin at 9:00am, likely with some form of bracketed round robin. Registration will begin at 8:00am, and I would ask that teams wishing to claim buzzer discounts arrive no later than 8:30am so that we have adequate time to set up the buzzers in time for a 9:00am start. Lunch will be scheduled either for the end of said round robin or at 12:30, and we will aim to conclude the tournament by 4:30pm, with an estimated worst case scenario time of 7pm. These travel times are not definite - because of long travel distances, I am willing to adjust those times later to achieve maximum utility for all involved parties.

Tournament Fees:
$120 for the first team from your school
$100 for each subsequent team from your school

Discounts:
-$50 if your team has not played in NAQT Sectionals in the past two years
-$5 per functional buzzer system (only valid if your team shows up at least 30 minutes before Round 1 is scheduled to begin)
-$5 per functional countdown timer (only valid if your team shows up at the specified time AND clock is used; we will attempt to spread these out evenly over all teams wishing to claim this discount)
-$10 per competent moderator
-$5 per competent scorekeeper
-$10 per first 200 miles travelled per 5 players/staffers
-$5 per 100 miles past 200 travelled per 5 players/staffers
Note: That is, bringing 6 people gets a double travel discount, 11 people gets a triple travel discount, etc.; distance will be determined by Google Maps "Name of your University" to "Wehner Building, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX".
Minimum Fee: $45/team for teams not receiving new team discounts, $25/team for teams receiving new team discounts

We hope to have lunch delivered to the tournament site in an effort to speed up lunch. Lunch will cost $5/person for those playing, and moderators/scorekeepers will receive their lunch for free. There are a couple of eating places located in campus buildings very close by, and there are many more eating places located about a 10-15 minute walk from the tournament site. Further details regarding lunch will be sent out closer to tournament time.

Teams may register for this tournament by emailing me at bdurIDON'[email protected]. Please indicate an estimated number of teams, buzzers, clocks, and staffers you intend to bring. If you are considering attending, but are unsure, I would appreciate an email to that effect so that I can get a rough idea of how many teams I can expect. Any other questions, comments, or concerns can also be directed there.

We hope to see all of you in February!

EDIT: In an effort to further encourage teams to participate in SCT, we have decided to increase the discount for teams that have not participated in sectionals over the past 2 years.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Re: Region 12 SCT at Texas A&M (02/04/2012)

Post by evilmonkey »

Field Update
Texas x1
Millsaps x1
Texas A&M x 2-4 (as needed)
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

This tournament happened.

Standings:
1. Rice A (DI) - 10-0
2. Rice B (DII) - 6-4 (won 1 game DII final)
3. Texas A (DII) - 6-4
4. Texas A&M (DI) - 5-5
5. Millsaps (DII) - 2-8
6. Texas B (DII) - 1-9

Stats will be available sometime tomorrow, as we still have 6 rounds of a trash tournament to complete.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Last edited by evilmonkey on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Rice A's PPB numbers for their first game against Texas A look a little funny.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Thanks for the catch. I fixed it in SQBS. I'm now looking through the scoresheets to make sure there are no more errors before reuploading stats.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Corrected stats have now been uploaded.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15