NAQT-ACUI Region 8 SCT at UChicago

Old college threads.
jonah
Auron

NAQT-ACUI Region 8 SCT at UChicago

Post by jonah » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:07 pm

ACUI will be hosting the Region 8 NAQT Sectional Championship Tournament at the University of Chicago on Saturday, February 4. I will be serving as tournament director.

Location: Harper Memorial Library, 1116 E 59th St. Ample free parking is available along 59th St and the Midway (the two streets parallel to and immediately south of 59th).

Money: The base fee is $120. There is a $20 discount for schools who have not attended SCT, ICT, or CCCT in the last two years. There is a $20 discount for second, third, … teams from the same school. Please bring buzzer systems; they get you a $10 discount each, with no limit. Likewise with clocks ($5 discount each) and qualified staffers ($20 discount each and particular gratitude from me). The minimum fee is $0.

• Please register online at http://naqt.com/registration/register.j ... nt_id=4143.
  • Once you submit the entry, click on "total cost for your teams at this tournament", then click "request an invoice".
  • If you wish, you may pay by credit card using PayPal. NAQT handles billing directly, so please direct any questions regarding the payment process to NAQT at billing@naqt.com or 888-411-NAQT (6278).
  • Please submit payment via the methods described above. We do not have the means to accept payment and/or issue receipts at the competition site.
  • Registration closes January 29, 2012, but you do not need to have rosters finalized by then (you may change them at the tournament). Please register as soon as possible.
Field: The current field can always be seen at http://naqt.com/registration/field.jsp? ... nt_id=4143.

Contact If you have any questions, please contact me at jonah@naqt.com.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

Sam
Rikku

Re: NAQT-ACUI Region 8 SCT at UChicago

Post by Sam » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:33 pm

For SCT and NAQT tournaments in general, can a school register teams more than once? For example, could I register Chicago A and B today, and then C and D tomorrow?
Sam Bailey
Minnesota 'xx
Chicago '13

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:36 pm

Sam wrote:could I register Chicago A and B today, and then C and D tomorrow?
Sure, that's fine.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 pm

We currently have six teams in Division I and ten teams in Division II. Registration closes on Sunday.
Jonah Greenthal

cornfused
Auron

Post by cornfused » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:30 pm

jonah wrote:We currently have six teams in Division I and ten teams in Division II. Registration closes on Sunday.
HAHAHA. Ok, I read this quickly thought that was UC registering its teams. And part of me believed it.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:19 am

Registration will close tomorrow (Monday) evening. We currently have 6 teams in Division I and 8 teams in Division II; if field sizes do not change, we will do a double round robin in Division I, and a full round robin followed by a rebracket to two pools of four in Division II.
Last edited by jonah on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah Greenthal

at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:23 am

jonah wrote:Registration will close tomorrow (Monday) evening. We currently have 6 teams in Division I and 8 teams in Division II; if field sizes do not change, we will do a double round robin in Division II, and a full round robin followed by a rebracket to two pools of four in Division II.
Er, do you mean "double RR in Div 1 and full RR in Div. 2"?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:25 am

Gus Goes to Cybertown wrote:
jonah wrote:Registration will close tomorrow (Monday) evening. We currently have 6 teams in Division I and 8 teams in Division II; if field sizes do not change, we will do a double round robin in Division II, and a full round robin followed by a rebracket to two pools of four in Division II.
Er, do you mean "double RR in Div 1 and full RR in Div. 2"?
No, but I do mean "double round robin in Division I and...". I fixed this in the original post.
Jonah Greenthal

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:39 pm

Chicago D cleared the Division II field. In Division I, we are about to begin a final between Chicago B (advantaged; definitely top undergrad team) and Chicago A.
Jonah Greenthal

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:05 pm

Chicago A won the first game of the final 335–245. Second game starting shortly.
Jonah Greenthal

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Chicago A won the second game of the final 410–295, and thus Division I. Stats will be up within a couple of hours.
Jonah Greenthal

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Again, congratulations to Chicago A for winning Division I in the second game of the final against Chicago B; and to Chicago D for winning Division II, where Wisconsin B came in second place. The top individual scorer in Division I was Marshall Steinbaum (Chicago A), with 58.77 PP20TUH in the first 10 rounds; in Division II, Alex Gerten from Wisconsin B, with 87.43 PP20TUH in the first 8 rounds.

Thanks to everyone for coming, and to the staffers: Colby Burnett, Michael Joy, Selene Koo, Kevin Leistner, James McHaley, Kevin Olmstead, Greg Peterson, Ravi Randhava, Seth Teitler, Blake Tutt, Ruby Vega, Rick Warpinski, Andy Williams, and Shannon Williams.

If teams or staffers have any specific or general comments about tournament logistics, staff, or anything related to today's tournament other than in regard to the questions, please contact me. For information on question discussion, please see this thread.

Stats are now posted for Division I and Division II.
Jonah Greenthal