ICT Lite at Virginia Tech, 3/31

Old college threads.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

ICT Lite at Virginia Tech, 3/31

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Virginia Tech is inviting all teams that are not planning on attending ICT in Chicago to attend our (slightly delayed) mirror of the Collegiate Novice Set. This will be held on the same day as the actual ICT in Chicago.

LOCATION, DIRECTIONS, PARKING: The tournament will take place at Virginia Tech's main campus in Blacksburg, Virginia. From I-81, take Exit 118B to US 460 West, and take the Prices Fork Rd exit towards downtown. Parking is unrestricted on the weekends, and is generally most available in the parking garage accessible from Prices Fork, in lots along Stanger Street, which is the first right turn from Prices Fork after the parking garage, and along the Drillfield, which is accessible from Stanger Street. A complete campus map is available here.

The exact location for this tournament will be announced as soon as rooms are reserved.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:
-The fee structure is as follows:
Base fee: $40 for each team from a school. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.
Buzzer discount: $5 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (control box and eight activators all work)-no limit to # of systems you can bring
Staff discount: $5 off school's total fee. This could be a coach, parent, student who is not playing, etc. Team-provided staffers will keep score for various games not involving the team with which they are affiliated. Volunteer staffers must stay through all the games (except finals) in order to receive credit for their school. There is no limit to the number of staffers you can bring.
Minimum fee: The minimum fee is $30

-To register, e- mail me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details. We are also requiring a cell phone contact number belonging to someone who will be attending the tournament, so that we can track you down if you are running late. Feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending. There is no further registration form or other action needed on your part in order to be officially registered; you only need to e-mail me at that address with the information requested. Posts made in this thread will not be considered official registrations; you must e-mail me.

METHOD OF PAYMENT: All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts, but we will accept checks by mail ahead of time if your procedures require it.
We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from school, school district, or quizbowl club funds. We have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment. We will contact registered teams with instructions to whom to make the checks out.

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded.

FOOD: Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided by the tournament. We will provide a list of suggested eateries for the lunch break.

FIELD:

Dartmouth 2/3
Radford
Rutgers
VT House
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Golran
Auron

Re: ICT Lite at Virginia Tech, 3/31

Post by Golran »

Are there the same eligibility restrictions for this event as there were with Collegiate Novice in the fall?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
The Goffman Prophecies

We haven't explicitly discussed that with Andrew. We were not intending to include the same restrictions, mostly because they wouldn't apply to the teams we are targeting - regional teams that played D2 SCT and don't ever play much else outside of that and the Big South championship (if eligible).

However, as I give this some more thought, it may not be wise to not enforce the eligibility rules. I'm going to discuss this with the team a little more and get a straightforward answer from Andrew (he's overseas at the moment), and will update as soon as I have one.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Is it possible for a high school to enter this tournament?
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
The Goffman Prophecies

Andrew and I are still talking about specifics regarding eligibility. Hope to have a concrete answer to this soon.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
The Goffman Prophecies

Update on eligibility:

After talking with Andrew, he's agreed to give us some leeway with some of the eligibility rules, specifically those in 4. for players who might still fall under a "novice" umbrella but aren't necessarily in their first two years of college or maybe have hit the 30 ppg plateau once or twice.

All the other rules, including the ban on high school teams, will be in effect for this tournament as well. If you've got questions about eligibility or have a player you think might be eligible, please email them to me at [email protected].
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Understood. I hope that the tourney goes well for you, and we'll see you in April for your HS tourney.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
The Goffman Prophecies

We had a total of six teams show up today. Dartmouth A cleared the field in a double round robin, going 10-0. Rutgers went 8-2 to finish second. Nick Jensen from Dartmouth A was the leading scorer.

Stats
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS