Western Invitational Tournament (March 2013)

Old college threads.
Tanay
Rikku

Western Invitational Tournament (March 2013)

Post by Tanay »

EDIT: This still exists, but is probably no longer a housewrite. More info to come.

I am pleased to announce that UC Berkeley is bringing back its annual housewrite, the Western Invitational Tournament. We are seeking collaboration with one other institution for this tournament. We hope to run it during the middle two weeks of March, but will be open to mirrors closer to the end of the year. Production is already under way, and writing for this tournament is scheduled to be completed one month before the first tournament that uses this set.

Questions
The intended difficulty for this tournament is ACF Regionals. Questions will be written by members of the UC Berkeley team. We are especially excited to announce that Jeff Hoppes and Auroni Gupta have agreed to edit the questions. Teams should expect a high-quality product. The distribution will be as follows:

4/4 Literature
4/4 History
4/4 Science
3/3 RMP
3/3 Fine Arts
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Other (including Geography, Current Events, and Pop Culture)

Questions will be no longer than seven lines.

Hosting

We seek mirrors across the country. The mirror fee will be $30 per team. Teams should consist of players attending the same academic institution.

The fee structure at the Berkeley site will be as follows:
Base fee: $120
Buzzer discount: $10 each
Moderator discount: $15 each
Travel discount: $5 per 50 miles

Note that the travel discount is relatively generous in order to encourage attendance from teams in circuits that may not be hosting mirrors. Of course, those teams are advised to first look for the closest possible mirror.

Please e-mail me ([email protected]) or PM me if you have questions or would like to mirror this tournament.

Thanks,
Tanay Kothari
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: Western Invitational Tournament (March 2013)

Post by grapesmoker »

I'm very heartened by the resurgence of WIT, as I'm sure is Steve Kaplan.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

To get an update, is this remaining a housewrite or will it become packet-submission? Also, has a collaborator been decided on? I saw that UVA expressed interest in collaborating and making it packet-submission in the other thread, but wanted to confirm.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

nadph wrote:To get an update, is this remaining a housewrite or will it become packet-submission? Also, has a collaborator been decided on? I saw that UVA expressed interest in collaborating and making it packet-submission in the other thread, but wanted to confirm.
This is probably going to be a packet-submission collaboration with UVa; stay tuned.
Tanay
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

So if this is a packet submission tournament, perhaps some details will be forthcoming?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

I've brought this up with UVa a few times and haven't been carrying on with this because I don't know whether the plans for collaboration are still on the table.
Tanay
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Tanay wrote:I've brought this up with UVa a few times and haven't been carrying on with this because I don't know whether the plans for collaboration are still on the table.
I don't know who you've been talking to, but Matt's been trying to reach you to make sure you guys can still handle science for weeks. Email him at mlb7vb at Virginia dot edu.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

The Laughing Cavalier wrote:
Tanay wrote:I've brought this up with UVa a few times and haven't been carrying on with this because I don't know whether the plans for collaboration are still on the table.
I don't know who you've been talking to, but Matt's been trying to reach you to make sure you guys can still handle science for weeks. Email him at mlb7vb at Virginia dot edu.
For the record, not really, but in any case, the situation has been resolved and questions have been getting submitted since the summer. This is definitely a go.
Tanay
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Official announcement with distribution and packet deadlines and such coming tomorrow night when I get home from IFT.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

What are the eligibility restrictions for this tournament?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
tracyclee
Lulu

Post by tracyclee »

I know this is really early, but can you make this tournament happen on NOT March 16? Chicago might fly out for this as long as it's not during our finals.
Tracy Lee
Arcadia High School '09
Chicago '13
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

tracyclee wrote:I know this is really early, but can you make this tournament happen on NOT March 16? Chicago might fly out for this as long as it's not during our finals.
Hey, Tracy, please see the other thread for dates. I'm going to try to archive or at least lock this one, since it's confusing...
Sam L,
PACE