2012 British Student Quiz Championships -- 12 May 2012

Old college threads.
Kyle
Auron

2012 British Student Quiz Championships -- 12 May 2012

Post by Kyle »

The eighth annual British Student Quiz Championships are being held today at Imperial College, London. The tournament will be held on a modified version of the 2012 ICT D2 set, heavily Briticized by Edmund Dickinson.

I thought I should create a thread for it now because I am likely to have some things to say about it later. Anybody else who finds this thread should be aware that the ICT set is not cleared for public discussion because it will be used at two upcoming tournaments in the US. Nobody from Oxford or Cambridge should apply to join the private ICT discussion forum until after the Varsity Match. You may make comments about questions written by Edmund et al, but the onus is on you to be absolutely certain that those questions were not original to the NAQT set, and you will get in big trouble if you are wrong.

Last year, everybody complained that the reason we didn't get more new schools was that the tournament was held in June rather than in May. Edmund dutifully scheduled the tournament for May. The result: 11 teams rather than last year's twelve, with only one new university represented (and two missing). Absolute decimation of the field. Missing Manchester's four best players. Missing several (potentially all four) of Cambridge's best. Missing two of Oxford's top four. Missing Warwick's best player. I don't know if Sheffield ever managed to put together a team of four at all. Note to this country: don't demand that the tournament happen on the second weekend in May if you can't actually make it then.

I have ended up on an extremely polite team. Alison Hudson's manners will be familiar to many of you. Chris is a similarly deferential undergrad. Alex swears when he plays, but it's mostly words like "bloody" and "bugger," and he does it in such characteristically British fashion that it seems endearing. I'm going to try not to stick out as the obnoxious American on this team. I baked brownies to carry around and give out during the tournament. I learned this trick from Susan Ferrari, my VETO namesake, who softened a pretty staggering defeat at ACF Nationals 2008 by giving us all baked goods. I don't know if we'll be able to manage any victories quite so thorough. Perhaps we can if I can get Alison to rediscover the thirst for blood she once possessed. I'm going to try having her visualize that Chris Ray is on the other team.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Kyle
Auron

Re: 2012 British Student Quiz Championships -- 12 May 2012

Post by Kyle »

My plan to be really nice didn't get off to a great start. I got into a sort of physical altercation when I was refused a schedule, and I had to hold it at arm's length to play keep away long enough to look at which team we would play first. We have a bye now and then I will break out the brownies to try to atone.

It should be noted that four British high school students are here and are in good spirits. British high school teachers are very frustrating to deal with in the never-ending quest to put together a high school tournament, but the two particular students who really want to play are very eager and are wonderful to deal with. Joey is now playing in his fourth college tournament, having never actually managed to play a tournament at what ought to be the right level for him.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

We did well against Manchester. We had our backs to the window and they were seated facing it. Across the street, a nude woman was fixing her hair. This took the entire game.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
saintanthony
Lulu

Post by saintanthony »

Kyle wrote:Across the street, a nude woman was fixing her hair. This took the entire game.
Are you sure they just weren't watching the first episode of Skins?
Drew Scheeler
President Emeritus, Case Quizbowl
Case Western Reserve University '13
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Oxford A defeated Oxford C 520-175 in the first game of an advantaged final. Oxford C won the UG title. Sheffield was third at 8-2, followed by Imperial A at 7-3 and Oxford B at 6-4.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Priscus Attalus
Kimahri

Post by Priscus Attalus »

Kyle wrote:We did well against Manchester. We had our backs to the window and they were seated facing it. Across the street, a nude woman was fixing her hair. This took the entire game.
The fact she was there for the entire duration of that game but no other leads me to believe that you planted her there to distract Manchester, not that you needed any extra advantage.

Anyway, it was a very enjoyable day with some excellent games. It was a bit of a shame that there were only 11 teams, I would have hoped that Manchester and Cambridge sent two each for a start, but we should get some new teams next year through Tom and me. On the whole Edmund did a good job of Briticising also, the questions (particularly mine) were perhaps a touch harder than the original set, but that may be because, due to our post-colonial guilt, no-one in Britain knows any British history.

Well done Oxford 'A'.
Hugh Bennett

Open University
Formerly of Sheffield
Edmund
Wakka

Post by Edmund »

Not much to add to Kyle's precis except that stats will be delayed due to my having to do some travelling for work - they should be posted towards the end of the week. Thanks to him for the brownies and for having the self-control to only get into one physical altercation on the day.

A bit more detail: Oxford A (Alex Bubb, Kyle Haddad-Fonda, Alison Hudson, Chris Savory) cleared the field to set up an advantaged final vs the Oxford undergraduate team, officially denoted Oxford C (Hugh Binnie, David Knapp, Tarun Narasimhan, Victoria Shore), who ended 9-1. The comparative fortunes of British and American high school quizbowl can pretty accurately be summed up with the observation that four of the eight finalists of this competition were schooled in the USA.

I would like to thank NAQT for allowing me to rip apart and reassemble the ICT Div II set with abandon. I will assemble the exact numbers at some point but I think about 4/4 per packet was house-written, and the remainder was in places quite heavily edited for cultural content. The packets were redistributed from a mixed NAQT + BuzzerQuiz source of questions, rather than "inserting Britishness" by straight swapping questions in ICT packets. This hopefully gave a balanced result. For the sake of simplicity, I think I would add to Kyle's suggestion by asserting that the BSQC set should not be discussed in this thread until ICT Div II is cleared.

I'd also like to thank Elliott Bajema at Imperial for arranging rooms, Hugh Bennett and Thomas Grinyer for making major contributions to the Briticisation by writing lots of questions, and all of the teams who took part for turning up. Despite the field not being as large as we had hoped, it was still a good day with a number of close and competitive matches. When Oxford's hegemony over British quizzing will be broken remains to be seen.
Edmund Dickinson
UK Quizbowl
University of Oxford '11
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Edmund wrote:The comparative fortunes of British and American high school quizbowl can pretty accurately be summed up with the observation that four of the eight finalists of this competition were schooled in the USA.
And three of the four finished in the top ten of the HSNCT at least once. Perhaps if Britain had high school quizbowl...
Edmund wrote:For the sake of simplicity, I think I would add to Kyle's suggestion by asserting that the BSQC set should not be discussed in this thread until ICT Div II is cleared.
I answered a tossup on Hugh Gaitskell. I'm sure as hell going to talk about that in this thread!

I should thank Edmund for his work on this set. He and I have switched places (in a manner of speaking): he won the BSQC when I edited it and now I won it when he edited it. Consequently, I have a better idea than most how much work he had to put into it. It was a great set that certainly benefited from all his hard work. I really appreciated the opportunity to play on it.

There are some pictures linked from the OUQS website if anybody cares.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13