All-Star awards

Old college threads.
Scipio
Wakka

All-Star awards

Post by Scipio »

So, I'm noticing as Fall results come in that the top three scorers only were mentioned in reports from Illinois and Rutgers; in fact, New England often only lists the top two or three. For most of my career, which has lasted for a thousand years now, the standard has typically been the top four or the MVP and the top four. Out of curiosity, are four actually decorated at the site and just the top three mentioned, or are only the top three honored? And if the latter, how come three and not four, or even eight, as has been done on occasion?
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008

Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

ACF Fall at Illinois was my first college-level tournament ever, so I can speak for it and it alone, but only the top three in D1 and D2 were mentioned and "decorated".

Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

AT BU, I believe the top 5 D2 scorers and top 9 D1 scorers were given prizes (and only 18 people in total were there I believe.)

quizbowlmike
Wakka

Post by quizbowlmike »

At USF there were trophies for the top 3 individuals in each division.

Captain Sinico
Auron

Re: All-Star awards

Post by Captain Sinico »

Scipio wrote:So, I'm noticing as Fall results come in that the top three scorers only were mentioned in reports from Illinois and Rutgers...
First of all, our announcement lists 6 top scorers (three from each division.) Also, while we mentioned only six in our results announcement, the full stats are available. You can, therefore, easily view the top 35 scorers from the tournament, even the fictitious ones.
Also, I really don't see why this matters... but that's another discussion.

MaS

Scipio
Wakka

Post by Scipio »

Also, I really don't see why this matters... but that's another discussion.
Obviously, this matters because if you don't award four all-stars, it means your tournament is a sham. I think the entire quizbowl community would agree with me on this one.

Just kidding. I was just curious, that's all.
Seth Lyons Kendall
University of Memphis, 1993-1997
University of Kentucky, 1997-1999, 2000-2008