ACF Fall at Illinois (11/03/12)

Old college threads.
bag-of-worms
Lulu

ACF Fall at Illinois (11/03/12)

Post by bag-of-worms »

The University of Illinois will host ACF Fall on November 3rd, 2012.

Logistics:
This tournament will be held in David Kinley Hall, which is located near the intersection of 6th and Gregory, as noted here. A full interactive map of campus can be found here, just scroll a bit south to see the general area. There is a parking lot just west of the Main Library (right across the street from DKH)--that lot is denoted as E3 on this map. We will meet in room 114.

Registration will begin at 8:15 a.m. I want every team to be here by 8:50 a.m. so we can start at 9 a.m.

Field:

House (2+)
Wash U
Notre Dame

For all questions regarding this specific mirror, please contact me at [email protected]. Questions about packet submission should be directed to Matthew Bollinger at [email protected].

Registration

To register, please email me at [email protected] and fill out this form http://tinyurl.com/9fpqgge. Include your team name, the number of teams you will bring, and the number of buzzers that you will bring. Posting in this thread will not be sufficient to register.

Packet Submission
As per the ACF submission rules, any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2011 is required to submit a packet in order to participate in an ACF tournament in 2012-2013. This includes ACF Fall. As of a recent rule change, high school players are now included in this definition and are subject to the same discounts and penalties as college teams. Teams required to submit packets who do not submit one by the final deadline will be dropped from the tournament.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2012: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

Fees:

Do not write the University of Illinois a check for this tournament. You will pay the ACF Treasurer directly.
http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/payin ... urnaments/

Base fee: $120 per team
Buzzer systems: -$5 each
Staffers: -$10 each
Laptop: -$5 each (as needed)
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled. One way.
New ACF teams: -$25
New quizbowl teams: -$75 (will be combined with the New ACF team discount)

This year’s submission schedule is:

Packet submitted before 11:59 PM eastern time on:
September 9, 2012: -$50
September 23, 2012: -$25 (-$50 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 7, 2012: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 14, 2012: +$25
October 21, 2012: +$50
After Oct. 21, 2012: The editors may grant one or more 24-hour extensions at an additional penalty of $10 per day.

Packet Penalties

Teams will incur penalties for the following offenses:
*Incorrect formatting: Please take a moment to review the ACF Packet Guidelines on formatting to make sure you format your packet correctly.
*Plagiarism: Please do not attempt to plagiarize. It is often very easy to catch. People caught plagiarizing will be subject to large fines and public shaming.
*Writing specific types of forbidden questions: Types of questions prohibited at ACF events include spelling questions, binary matching bonuses, and 5-10-15 bonuses.
Please see the additional packet penalties section for more info.

Friendly Reminders

Please refer to the ACF Packet Guidelines document for more detailed explanations of packet submission and fee-related information.

If you are sending multiple packet writing teams, PLEASE make sure you don’t collaborate on your packets or talk about their contents.

The difficulty level of ACF Fall 2012 is the same as it has been for the past four years, such as can be seen in ACF Fall 2009 and ACF Fall 2010. These tournaments can be found on collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com. Remember above all that the tournament is supposed to be accessible to new teams who have never played quizbowl before, in both your answerlines and your selection of clues. If you suspect one of your answer choices may be too hard, it probably is.
Last edited by bag-of-worms on Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Austin
Illinois
armitage
Wakka

Re: ACF Fall at Illinois (11/03/12)

Post by armitage »

Maybe this is early but could we get a field update for this?
Richard
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

So, this tournament was literally announced 2 weeks out, and a single day before the final packet deadline. I just want to say there's a couple words I have to describe that, and those words are "fucking retarded."
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Horned Screamer wrote:So, this tournament was literally announced 2 weeks out, and a single day before the final packet deadline. I just want to say there's a couple words I have to describe that, and those words are "fucking retarded."
First off, this tournament was announced two weeks ago, not two weeks before the tournament. If you're going to make a complaint, please get your facts right.

Second, while I admit that ideally this tournament would have been announced earlier, we originally weren't even going to have a southern Midwest site on top of the Wisconsin one. Those teams that were interested in going to a Fall site would have had to drive 5 or 6 hours--which, as one Charlie Dees has posted many a time, would have been a doable drive. When Ike and Missouri teams asked for a new site that would be more accessible to their younger players, I granted it to them, and a new site was added late. Although these teams did have plenty of time to write their packets due to the existence of the Wisconsin site, I still gave packet extensions to those teams like WUStL that asked for them. Do you have something constructive to add?
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15

I didn't see this thread then, I guess, all I saw was an email sent to the MU club account dated Oct. 20th that was announcing this.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

However, my critique stands that it's REALLY fucking stupid to announce a tournament less than a month in advance and is a disastrous precedent for college quizbowl and it's infuriating that it happens, and I think ACF should simply not allow hosts to organize that late.

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Just wanted to echo Charlie here that site announcements seemed to get up really late this year.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
bag-of-worms
Lulu

Post by bag-of-worms »

Austin
Illinois
bag-of-worms
Lulu

Post by bag-of-worms »

Illinois A cleared the field and won the undergraduate trophy. Washington University placed second and won the Division II crown.
Full stats
Austin
Illinois