ACF Fall at the Claremont Colleges

Old college threads.
XanderWolfe
Lulu

ACF Fall at the Claremont Colleges

Post by XanderWolfe »

The Claremont Colleges will be hosting the California mirror for ACF Fall 2012. The tournament will take place on November 3rd in Mason Hall on Pomona.

Registration
To register, email me at [email protected] AND fill out this form http://tinyurl.com/9fpqgge. In your registration, please mention how many teams you are bringing and any discounts you qualify for.

For all questions regarding this specific mirror, please contact me at [email protected]. Questions about packet submission and the tournament in general should be directed to Matthew Bollinger at [email protected].

Packet Submission
As per the ACF submission rules, any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2011 is required to submit a packet in order to participate in an ACF tournament in 2012-2013. This includes ACF Fall. As of a recent rule change, high school players are now included in this definition and are subject to the same discounts and penalties as college teams. Teams required to submit packets who do not submit one by the final deadline will be dropped from the tournament.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2012: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

Fees
Base fee: $120 for one team from a school, $240 for two teams from a school, etc.
Buzzer systems: -$5 each No discount for broken buzzers; no maximum.
Staffers: -$10 each No maximum.
Laptop: -$5 each Maximum 1 per team.
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
International: -$20
For teams representing schools located in a different country than the tournament host.
New ACF teams: -$25
For schools who did not send a team to ACF Fall, Regionals, or Nationals between September 2010 and August 2012, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.
New quizbowl teams: -$75
For schools who did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament since September 2010, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school. May be combined with new ACF team discount for a total new-team discount of $100.

The submission schedule for this tournament is:
October 7, 2012: No penalty (-$25 for teams not required to submit packets)
October 14, 2012: +$25
October 21, 2012: +$50
After Oct. 21, 2012: The editors may grant one or more 24-hour extensions at an additional penalty of $10 per day.

Packet Penalties
Teams will incur penalties for the following offenses:
*Incorrect formatting: Please take a moment to review the ACF Packet Guidelines on formatting to make sure you format your packet correctly.
*Plagiarism: Please do not attempt to plagiarize. It is often very easy to catch. People caught plagiarizing will be subject to large fines and public shaming.
*Writing specific types of forbidden questions: Types of questions prohibited at ACF events include spelling questions, binary matching bonuses, and 5-10-15 bonuses.
Please see the additional packet penalties section for more info.

Friendly Reminders
Please refer to the ACF Packet Guidelines document for more detailed explanations of packet submission and fee-related information.

If you are sending multiple packet writing teams, PLEASE make sure you don’t collaborate on your packets or talk about their contents.

The difficulty level of ACF Fall 2012 is the same as it has been for the past four years, such as can be seen in ACF Fall 2009 and ACF Fall 2010. These tournaments can be found on collegiate.quizbowlpackets.com. Remember above all that the tournament is supposed to be accessible to new teams who have never played quizbowl before, in both your answerlines and your selection of clues. If you suspect one of your answer choices may be too hard, it probably is.
Last edited by XanderWolfe on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Kohn
Claremont Colleges (Harvey Mudd) '13
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: ACF Fall at the Claremont Colleges

Post by grapesmoker »

I haven't seen any registrations for this site. Are people actually attending the California site or not?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

UCSD and Stanford, you've submitted 3 packets between the two of you. Can you guys register for this and try to get other teams to do so so that this happens?

EDIT: Also, Caltech.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
XanderWolfe
Lulu

Post by XanderWolfe »

I've gotten email registrations from UCSD and Caltech and emails expressing interest from Arcadia and ASU.
Alex Kohn
Claremont Colleges (Harvey Mudd) '13
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

XanderWolfe wrote:I've gotten email registrations from UCSD and Caltech and emails expressing interest from Arcadia and ASU.
Arcadia has registered officially, as of yesterday. I have no idea what Stanford is doing.
Jerry Vinokurov
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

grapesmoker wrote:
XanderWolfe wrote:I've gotten email registrations from UCSD and Caltech and emails expressing interest from Arcadia and ASU.
Arcadia has registered officially, as of yesterday. I have no idea what Stanford is doing.
To my knowledge, Stanford registered a team using the ACF signup form on Friday.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

After I posted, Stanford did indeed register a team.
Jerry Vinokurov
The Tourist
Lulu

Post by The Tourist »

The announcement did not come in time for our players to put together a packet, but ASU intends to send one team of freshmen and two staffers. Registration should happen sometime in the next 24 hours.
Ian McCloskey
Arizona State '13
Arizona '16
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Just curious, what's the finalized field for this?
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
XanderWolfe
Lulu

Post by XanderWolfe »

2 from Stanford
2 from Caltech
1 from Arcadia
1 from ASU
1 from UCSD