WIT mirror at the University of Minnesota (3/9/2013)

Old college threads.
gaurav.kandlikar
Forums Staff: Moderator

WIT mirror at the University of Minnesota (3/9/2013)

Post by gaurav.kandlikar »

I am pleased to announce that the University of Minnesota will host a mirror Western Invitational Tournament, a regular difficulty packet-submission tournament edited by Berkeley, along with Auroni Gupta and Jarret Greene and Jasper Lee of Ohio State, on Saturday, March 9, 2013. We are waiting on room confirmation, but this tournament will probably be held in Blegen hall on the West Bank campus. Registration will run from 8.45-9.15, and games will start immediately thereafter.

To quote the editors, "This is a closed tournament. By default, players must be enrolled in an institution of some sort and must only play with other people from that institution."

Fees:
Base fee: $120
Travel discount: $10 off per 200 miles traveled (one-way as determined by Google
Buzzer discount: $10 off per working buzzer
Moderator discount: $10 off per moderator (contact me beforehand if you plan on bringing a moderator)

WIT's packet submission requirements are the same as that of ACF. Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2011 must submit a packet for this event.

Packet Schedule:
January 1: -$50
January 6: -$25
January 20: No Penalty
February 3: +$25
February 17: +$50
After February 17: $5 extra per day unless you have extenuating circumstances that you clear with [the editors]. If we don't have your packet by February 24, then you will not be allowed to play, no matter what.

Distribution:
5/5 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European, 2/2 World/Your Choice)
5/5 History (1/1 American, 2/2 European (at least 1 British), 1/1 World, 1/1 Your Choice
5/5 Science (1/1 biology, 1/1 physics, and 1 question each on chemistry, earth science, astronomy, math, computer science, and science history)
3/3 Religion, Mythology, and Philosophy
3/3 Fine Arts
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Trash
1/1 Current Events, Geography, or Your Choice

Packets should be emailed to Tanay Kothari (tanay(dot)[email protected]) with the subject line “WIT Packet: [Team Name].”

To register, please email me at quizbowl(at)umn.edu. Please include team number and any discounts you may be eligible for in the email.
Email me with any questions about tournament logistics; email Tanay at the address above if you have any questions about packet requirements, structure, etc.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
gaurav.kandlikar

Re: WIT mirror at the University of Minnesota (3/9/2013)

Final stats at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... stats/all/.

edit: Minneapolis Community & Technical College (Rob Carson, Bernadette Spencer) went undefeated over 10 rounds to win. Special thanks to Mike Cheyne for driving from Morris to staff; thanks to Srijay, Han and Melanie of UMN House for rotating out to staff. Thanks to the editors for the set.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Despite how unbelievable it may seem, I went 2/8/1 (or apparently 3/7/1? Not sure what that third power was) in our Round 2 win over EP, not Brendan (who went 0/4/0). I won't pay until this is remedied.

Otherwise, thanks for a well-run tournament that marked the inaugural appearance of the Denver Publishing Institute.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Also, in continuing my efforts to destroy Brendan's official PPG, he went 0/2/2 in our second match against Andrew, not 2/2/0, and our final score was 200 even on 0/7/4, so our bonus conversion that round should be 21.4, not 12.8.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
gaurav.kandlikar

Whoops, sorry. Those two things are fixed.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Hey, I don't know what happened, but I'm a little pissed that Macalester ran a trash mirror of Bayou a Drank on the same date as our tournament.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger