ACF Regionals @ University of South Carolina

Old college threads.
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

ACF Regionals @ University of South Carolina

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

The Academic Team at the University of South Carolina will host ACF Regionals on Saturday February 23rd.

Location and time: The tournament will take place in the Gambrell Hall. We will meet in the lobby. Registration will begin at 8 and play will begin no later than 9:15. There are a few meter parking lots in the immediate vicinity and several parallel meters along Barnwell, College, and Pendleton streets. The regular meters are not checked on Saturdays, though there are a few 15 minute meters that are. The Cocky mascot is pointing to the building here, and the green represents the metered lots. Located in the geographic center of South Carolina, Columbia is a fairly short drive from anywhere in South Carolina. It is 1.5 hours from Charlotte and 3.5 hours from Atlanta.

Registration: Please register using this form. You MUST fill out this form to play this tournament. An email to us is NOT sufficient.

Packet submission guidelines are as follows, copied from the global announcement.

Packet Submission:
Every team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2011 is required to submit a packet in order to play in Regionals. Please note that, like last year, this requirement also applies to eligible high school teams. Further information can be found at the ACF Packet Submission Guidelines.

The submission schedule for this tournament is:
December 30, 2012: -$50
January 13, 2013: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
January 27, 2013: no penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
February 3, 2013: +$25
February 10, 2013: +$50
After that: +$100, and a guarantee you will be dropped from the field if you haven't negotiated an extension before then.

Payment Deadline (NEW): February 16, 2013 (your payment must be postmarked by this date).

Please submit your packet to [email protected]; the actual email with attached packet should include the phrase "[name of school + A/B/etc. if applicable) PACKET" in the subject line. In order to meet any particular deadline, your packet must be in our inbox by 11:59 pm PST on the stated day.

Packet Penalties: Be sure to fully read the information contained in the Packet Guidelines. Any cases of incorrect formatting, plagiarism, or prohibited question types will result in hefty fees. The editors also reserve the right to send back any egregious cases to be fixed by the team in question, so be sure to do it right the first time.

Eligibility: Normal ACF eligibility.

If you have any questions about this regional, please contact me at [email protected] .

USC A
USC B
Clemson
Alabama A
Alabama B
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech A
Virginia Tech B

Expressed Interest:

Emory
College of Charleston
Last edited by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: ACF Regionals @ University of South Carolina

Post by AKKOLADE »

Field?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

No one has registered yet; I'll post a spreadsheet as soon as someone does (I mean, as soon as I can after someone does; let's all be reasonable people here).
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Auron

South Carolina will likely have some house teams. Alabama and College of Charleston have expressed interest.
Eric D.
Susan

Post by Susan »

The registered field for this tournament can be found here. Teams, please email [email protected] or PM me if you need to change any information.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Auron

Hey, everyone is ready to play for the USC ACF regionals, but no packets have arrived. Please e-mail them to [email protected] as soon as possible, or let me know what the status is. Thanks!
Eric D.
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Hey, they should be there - I sent you a confirmation text, but please call me ASAP at 240 672 1140 if you still don't have them.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Auron

Congratulations to Georgia Tech for winning ACF Regionals 2013 at the University of South Carolina. They finished with a 10-0 record. Alabama finished 2nd overall. USC A won the undergraduate championship and Virginia Tech A won the DII championship. The leading scorer was Adam from Georgia Tech with 90.5 PPG followed by Harrison from Alabama A with 54.5 PPG and Will from GT with 47.5 PPG.

Thanks to everyone for coming. Special thanks to USC A team alums Bryn Reinecke and JR Fennel for reading. Also special thanks to Michael Hundley of VPI for helping out and to the other Virginia Tech folks who kept score. And finally, thanks to Katie Ciardi from Clemson for scorekeeping, and to Clemson's other scorekeeper volunteer whose name escapes me at the moment.

I hope everyone enjoyed the tournament. Here are the stats. We played a round robin followed by a split round robin between the top 4 and bottom 4 teams.
Eric D.