ACF Regionals at Brown University (2/23/13)

Old college threads.
SunWukong
Lulu

ACF Regionals at Brown University (2/23/13)

Post by SunWukong »

Brown University is hosting the 2013 ACF Regionals for the Northeast region on February 23. Games will be played in Wilson (not J. Walter Wilson). Registration will be 8:30-9:00 in Wilson 102.

Registration: As per new ACF policy, all registration must be done here. After you register with ACF, please send me an E-mail with your school name, number of teams, number of moderators, and number of buzzers, and an emergency phone number (should I need to contact you on the day of the tournament) to [email protected] so I know who's coming. It is absolutely necessary to register via the link above; an E-mail is insufficient to confirm your attendance!

ACF packet submission rules and deadlines:
ACF Regionals 2013 Global Announcement wrote:
Every team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2011 is required to submit a packet in order to play in Regionals. Please note that, like last year, this requirement also applies to eligible high school teams. Further information can be found at the ACF Packet Submission Guidelines.

The submission schedule for this tournament is:
December 30, 2012: -$50
January 13, 2013: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
January 27, 2013: no penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
February 3, 2013: +$25
February 10, 2013: +$50
After that: My unending wrath, +$100, and a guarantee you will be dropped from the field if you haven't negotiated an extension before then.

Payment Deadline (NEW): February 16, 2013 (your payment must be postmarked by this date).

Please submit your packet to [email protected]; the actual email with attached packet should include the phrase "[name of school + A/B/etc. if applicable) PACKET" in the subject line. In order to meet any particular deadline, your packet must be in our inbox by 11:59 pm PST on the stated day.

As alluded to above, extensions *may* be granted after the final February 10 deadline, but are at my discretion and will certainly not be granted if the request appears mysteriously at 11:58 pm the night of the deadline.

Packet Penalties: Be sure to fully read the information contained in the Packet Guidelines. Any cases of incorrect formatting, plagiarism, or prohibited question types will result in hefty fees. The editors also reserve the right to send back any egregious cases to be fixed by the team in question, so be sure to do it right the first time.

Please note that in cases of plagiarism in particular, I have now graded many a term paper and edited many a tournament, and I will catch you. This is doubtless because if you have decided to plagiarize from past questions/wikipedia/wherever, you are an idiot; I encourage you to cut your losses with that rather than compounding the situation with plagiarism.
Eligibility: As one might imagine, ACF eligibility rules apply. Rules for division II have changed this year.

If you have any questions, please shoot me an E-mail.
Last edited by SunWukong on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Daniel Brach-Neufeld
Georgetown Day School 2012
Brown University 2016
SunWukong
Lulu

Re: ACF Regionals at Brown University (2/23/13)

Post by SunWukong »

Field updates will be posted here as teams register.
School, Teams, Buzzers, Moderators
Penn, 1, 1, 0
Columbia, 2, 2, 0
RPI, 1, 1, 0
MIT, 2, 1, 0
Rutgers, 1, 1, 0
Wellesley, 1, 0, 0
NYU, 1, 1, 1
Yale, 3, 2, 0
Stony Brook, 1, 1, 0
Dartmouth, 3, 1, 0
Last edited by SunWukong on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:46 am, edited 9 times in total.
Daniel Brach-Neufeld
Brown University 2016
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Here's a link to the (registered) field. Teams, if you need to change anything here (more or fewer buzzers, unregistering a team, etc.), email me at [email protected]. Thanks!
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

If you're sticking around Saturday night, you should definitely come to the ACF Regionals afterparty! Hosted by Dan Klein and Allison Smith with special guest Jerry Vinokurov.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

With what seems like 17 teams, what is the schedule going to look like for this tournament? Are there enough people on staff to add a house team and do two brackets of 9, or do we need to dredge up another non-packet-sub team from a school such as Harvard? Seems like a 17-round round robin is both grueling and potentially impossible depending on the number of packets, and a 16-team schedule where the two brackets use different packets may also be infeasible if too many teams from this site have packets in the final set.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

We don't plan on bringing a C-team anymore, if that helps. We're not sure if we can field a B-Team at this event, either.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Chimango Caracara
Wakka

Post by Chimango Caracara »

gamegeek2 wrote:We don't plan on bringing a C-team anymore, if that helps. We're not sure if we can field a B-Team at this event, either.
False. Dartmouth will be bringing a B team. Please take statements made by Will Alston with a grain of salt.
Nick Jensen
UC Davis Microbiology Graduate Group 2017-2022
Dartmouth College 2011-2015
Susan

Post by Susan »

Let this be a reminder that you must email [email protected] if you're planning on changing how many teams you have signed up.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
SunWukong
Lulu

Post by SunWukong »

There now seem to be 15 teams registered...
Daniel Brach-Neufeld
Brown University 2016
Susan

Post by Susan »

Yes, RPI B and Dartmouth C have dropped.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Do you guys know whether we'll be able to park at Barus and Holley like we used to do for tournaments? Its like a block away from Wilson so its pretty convenient as I recall.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
SunWukong
Lulu

Post by SunWukong »

Congratulations to Penn, who defeated Yale A in the final to take first place. Dartmouth A and Yale B were the top two undergraduate teams and Yale B and Yale C were the top two teams with DII eligibility.

STATS
Daniel Brach-Neufeld
Brown University 2016
Tower Monarch
Rikku

Post by Tower Monarch »

Somehow my name is the only one on Dartmouth A spelled correctly, to the point that Nick JENsen was announced as a top scorer under the wrong name. Other notable last names include Pellowski and Alston. Thanks for hosting, Brown; this went very smoothly.
Cameron Orth - Freelance Writer/Moderator, PACE member
College: JTCC 2011, Dartmouth College '09-'10, '11-'14
Mathematics, Computer Science and Film/Media Studies
High School: Home Schooled/Cosby High '08-'09, MLWGSGIS A-E '06-'08
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Yale B also had 9 total games played when the rest of the field (besides Penn and Yale A) has 11.

EDIT: Was there a rebracket where Yale B was supposed to be put in the consolation bracket? If you use divisions in SQBS, this should fix it. Just hit settings and then general if you've already made a file, and then select use divisions.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Yeah, the brackets are mixed together. Top bracket was Penn, Yale A, us, MIT A, NYU, Dartmouth A. I think the other brackets just sort of dissolved or something part way through a RR.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
mtimmons
Wakka

Post by mtimmons »

The second (Yale B, Yale C, MIT B, RPI) and third brackets were supposed to play a double RR but decided to only play a single RR.
Max Timmons
St. Paul Central High School 2012
MIT 2016
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

Assumed Full A-Team wrote:Matthew Arnold, Aidan Mehigan
What percentage of the quizbowl community doesn't actually know my first name? Like 30%?

EDIT: That is, of people who know who "marnold" is.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

marnold wrote:
What percentage of the quizbowl community doesn't actually know my first name? Like 30%?

To say that's not one of my best moments is an understatement. I am really sorry about that, it's fixed now that my brain has decided to restore my sanity.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:
marnold wrote:

To say that's not one of my best moments is an understatement. I am really sorry about that, it's fixed now that my brain has decided to restore my sanity.
Haha, I'm not mad, it's just thinking my first name is Matthew is implausibly common. Shows the success of 'marnold' though.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

LOL wait, did I post that in this thread? I obviously meant to put it in the thread where the link to that stuff was. Mods can move it there if you want or just delete it altogether, or just leave it here as a shimmering reminder of the dangers of tabbed browsing.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Trapped in tab of robot Tony Kornheiser factory, please send help
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
SunWukong
Lulu

Post by SunWukong »

Sorry about the names of Dartmouth players; the errors have been corrected. I only got "Orth" right because I asked someone (the rth was a single, continuous letter). I don't know if it's possible to do divisions on SQBS for Mac (I've never seen that option and did look under settings). Not sure what was up with the posts about Columbia A names, but I've checked rosters and forum signatures and the SQBS report, and think I got these names correct.
Daniel Brach-Neufeld
Brown University 2016
Chimango Caracara
Wakka

Post by Chimango Caracara »

Sorry, I made a valiant attempt to write legibly that apparently failed (although for some reason succeeded for the B team's roster).
Nick Jensen
UC Davis Microbiology Graduate Group 2017-2022
Dartmouth College 2011-2015
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

SunWukong wrote:Sorry about the names of Dartmouth players; the errors have been corrected. I only got "Orth" right because I asked someone (the rth was a single, continuous letter). I don't know if it's possible to do divisions on SQBS for Mac (I've never seen that option and did look under settings). Not sure what was up with the posts about Columbia A names, but I've checked rosters and forum signatures and the SQBS report, and think I got these names correct.
SQBS for Mac has a text entry box that's empty by default on the right-hand side above the big space where the teams/rosters are entered. You can enter division names in there, and then assign division to the teams via drop-down menues in the roster area.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
SunWukong
Lulu

Post by SunWukong »

Found the divisions button. Stats changed to reflect final placement.
Daniel Brach-Neufeld
Brown University 2016
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Ah, it seems that Dartmouth have done what was thought to be impossible, averaging over 30 ppb for one round! Congratulations!
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
SunWukong
Lulu

Post by SunWukong »

Fixed.
Daniel Brach-Neufeld
Brown University 2016
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

I am likewise surprised at Dartmouth's ability to get 15 tossups against Columbia B without having actually heard any of them. (TUH says 0; maybe I'm misinterpreting that. The Yale C and NYU game has the same issue.)
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Our buzzer system is missing its power adapter. Was there one left behind at the tournament?
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

t-bar wrote:Our buzzer system is missing its power adapter. Was there one left behind at the tournament?
We still haven't gotten this adapter back, and the lead we thought we had on it turned out to be a dead end. Is anyone in possession of an adapter of mysterious providence (no pun intended)?
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

t-bar wrote:Our buzzer system is missing its power adapter. Was there one left behind at the tournament?
This sounds oddly familiar.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14