Chicago Open food discussion

Old college threads.
Great Bustard
Auron

Chicago Open food discussion

Post by Great Bustard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:47 am

I will staff this, and NHBB will once again provide Giordano's Pizza and soft drinks for all participants for lunch. If I can be of use in the organization process in the weeks prior to the tournament, I'm happy to help on that front too.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad

Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Chicago Open 2013 (7/20-21/13)

Post by Susan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:12 pm

I hope there's time enough for people to get an alternative lunch.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:17 pm

Standard-winged Nightjar wrote:I will staff this, and NHBB will once again provide Giordano's Pizza and soft drinks for all participants for lunch. If I can be of use in the organization process in the weeks prior to the tournament, I'm happy to help on that front too.
I'm partial to Giordano's, but they have other options beyond deep dish. I'm certainly willing to order salads, gluten-free options, non-deep dish pizza, whatever people want within reason.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad

Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:50 pm

I'm sure it would be helpful to Dave if people explained their concerns -- do they want gluten-free options, a different style of pizza, more variety, etc.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source

Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:02 pm

I simply do not like deep dish pizza, especially take-out, and would be satisfied by thin crust. Green things would probably be good too, but salad does get you into dangerous territory like forks.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)

Get in the elevator.

Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:04 pm

I'm fine with pizza (thanks for offering to cater again, Dave), but I would like for there to be other options to choose from than deep dish.
Auroni Gupta
UIUC
ACF

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:18 pm

I like deep dish pizza. I also like thin and stuffed crust pizza. And thanks again, Dave!
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Washburn Rural High School, 2005
Brown University, 2009
Medical Scientist Training Program, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, 2018
Intern in Internal Medicine, Yale-Waterbury, 2018-9
Dermatology Resident, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2019-

Member Emeritus, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer, NAQT, NHBB, IQBT

"The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It's one of the never-ending cycles in life."

Susan

Post by Susan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:28 pm

I mean, I think it would make sense to see what the schedule constraints are and whether a centrally-provided lunch is even necessary or desirable.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:48 pm

I remember last year Kurtis getting burned when the special order pizza or whatever he requested ran out quickly and he didn't have time to get food, so he didn't eat anything until like 10 PM. That's my concern with central order stuff for what it's worth.

I'm very grateful to Dave for ordering things but I think for me I would prefer the snacks/drinks more than the central lunch order; if given enough time I usually can either get food on my own or coordinate a delivery order with my team.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

grapesmoker
Sin

Re: Chicago Open food discussion

Post by grapesmoker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:04 pm

I too appreciate Dave's offer, but my sense is that probably about half the field will likely go out for lunch (myself among them). Maybe it would be good to have some kind of sign-up sheet for those who want the pizza and will stick around for it? That way NHBB won't waste money ordering pizza that will go uneaten.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:10 pm

grapesmoker wrote:I too appreciate Dave's offer, but my sense is that probably about half the field will likely go out for lunch (myself among them). Maybe it would be good to have some kind of sign-up sheet for those who want the pizza and will stick around for it? That way NHBB won't waste money ordering pizza that will go uneaten.
This seems like the best solution. I know I'm very likely to just order Noodles, Etc. again regardless of what else is going on, so preventing waste seems like a good idea.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Okay, a sign up sheet works for me. I think we can table this discussion for now based on that understanding until about July 1 or so.
David Madden

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:52 am

Can somebody who knows how to do such things put together a google doc so that people can list what they want for lunch? I'm only going to order from Giordano's, though I'm happy to get stuff other than deep dish. Also, if you put down a very specific request for pizza, note that it will probably get lumped into something more generic so that a whole pie can be ordered. As far as ordering stuff other than pizza, that's ok, but keep the price below $7, since there are a lot of people, and $7 basically equates to the cost of (very good) pizza per person. If you want to order something over $7, that's fine, but then you'll owe me whatever your food costs are above that. If you don't want Giordano's, that's fine, but then you're on your own.
Organizers / TD: If I'm handling this, then it may be awkward for me to read the game right before lunch. Also, what's the best of these locations to order from?
http://giordanos.com/order-online/
David Madden

Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:04 am

For some reason, the Hyde Park location isn't on that linked page. Anyway, here it is: http://giordanos.com/location/hyde-park/. Not sure if they deliver.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.

Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:44 pm

I know they delivered to me at least a few times in college. Given that a deep dish can take up to 40 some odd minutes to complete, I'd highly recommend ordering early and checking in with them at least a couple of days beforehand to verify they can actually accommodate such a large order.
Nolan -
UChicago 09
Michigan State Well-wisher

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:40 pm

This is kind of a weird question, but will anyone be providing drinks for the Sunday food?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Cheynem wrote:This is kind of a weird question, but will anyone be providing drinks for the Sunday food?
Let me just be clear: Sunday's food is entirely separate from Dave's offer to get food for CO. Why do you ask about drinks? I have no plans at present.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Well, in my experience at CO, it's hard to find something to drink in terms of vending machines or nearby places that sell drinks, so I didn't know if drinks were going to be provided. That's why I ask.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Ok, so no one posted a lunch schematic, and in any case, trying to get separate orders for loads of people is probably a bridge too far anyway. I will order about 120 slices total of pizza, on the assumption that some people will only want one slice and some none. Some of this will be deep dish; some will be normal. Some will be plain, some will have toppings. I will ensure that the pizza providers can confirm that they can provide the order, and I will also take the pre-lunch round off from moderating. That said, I will not be held responsible if the food arrives late - all I can do is tell them to arrive ideally about 5 minutes prior to 2. Also, can someone tell me where I should the direct delivery drivers to go?
David Madden

Susan

Post by Susan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:18 pm

You should have them meet you at 58th and Ellis, across from the bookstore. This is the street-facing back of the building--asking them to carry the pizzas around to the front has, in the past, resulted in confusion and in tournament staff having to chase the pizza man down Ellis.

This order seems a little light to me.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF

Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:51 pm

Irrelevant to food, but I might stop by during lunch if anyone wants to pay me ahead of time for Sunday's trash tournament. I'll probably do the same thing at Marshall's cookout too.
Nolan -
UChicago 09

Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:09 pm

Susan wrote:You should have them meet you at 58th and Ellis, across from the bookstore. This is the street-facing back of the building--asking them to carry the pizzas around to the front has, in the past, resulted in confusion and in tournament staff having to chase the pizza man down Ellis.

This order seems a little light to me.
Unfortunately there is currently a construction site at precisely this location. I recommend to meet the pizza farther down Ellis. Say "Ellis and 59th" even though that's farther away than is strictly necessary; it will be less confusing.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.

Benin Rebirth Party
Yuna

Post by Benin Rebirth Party » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:53 pm

As of 1:20, Dave Madden has gone to pick up drinks
Joe Su
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 20--

FINALIST -- 2017 ILQBM MEME OF THE YEAR

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:48 am

While I like the idea of centrally ordering CO food, improvements need to be made. I got proper lunch on Saturday, I know others did not. I did not get a proper lunch on Sunday since almost all of the chicken was consumed before the trash finals ended. More food or more specific central coordination needs to happen.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:00 pm

Cheynem wrote:While I like the idea of centrally ordering CO food, improvements need to be made. I got proper lunch on Saturday, I know others did not. I did not get a proper lunch on Sunday since almost all of the chicken was consumed before the trash finals ended. More food or more specific central coordination needs to happen.

Absolutely agreed. I didn't get anything from the Uncle Joe's order myself. I may be partially to blame for this, but I think there was some miscommunication about how lunch was actually going to work. Hyde Park is not great at all for lunch breaks, especially on Sundays during the summer. Maybe in the future, someone should be designated "official food wrangler" well ahead of time and be responsible for getting food from like say three restaurants (has anyone tried catering from Potbelly or Jimmy John's; both seem doable).
Nolan -
UChicago 09

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Cheynem wrote:While I like the idea of centrally ordering CO food, improvements need to be made. I got proper lunch on Saturday, I know others did not. I did not get a proper lunch on Sunday since almost all of the chicken was consumed before the trash finals ended. More food or more specific central coordination needs to happen.
I ordered two extra pizzas afterwards, and went around to rooms to get the message out. These did get eaten; I presume by the people who had not gotten 2 slices the first time. I apologize if people still didn't get fed (drinks seemed fine), though I seem to recall that last year there were various leftover pizzas, so this is something that I guess we just learn from.
David Madden

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Oh, whoops, I forgot you ordered extra pizzas. Sorry about that.

Drinks were indeed fine. Thanks again for the food/drink.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Benin Rebirth Party
Yuna

Post by Benin Rebirth Party » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:06 pm

In hindsight, I could have gone to buy more food and drink either day for everyone, but I don't have a phone or a car, so I didn't. The control room in the future should also be in charge of nourishment; there are places 5 minute drives away, but there's no accessible vending machine. This way actual staff members don't have to step out to get food.

Note: More food was ordered Saturday but not Sunday.
Joe Su
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 20--

FINALIST -- 2017 ILQBM MEME OF THE YEAR

The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
Tidus

Post by The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:47 am

I'd just like to give a huge thank-you for providing something to drink (non-water) that wasn't soda. This should happen at tournaments more often.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10, Northwestern B '14

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight

Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:43 am

I'm sorry that the Uncle Joe's order turned out to be less than sufficient to feed all of those who needed to be fed. I agree that centralized food ordering is the ideal for all of CO weekend, and in future (barring Dave's generosity) there should be a more concerted effort toward floating a solvent financial structure for CO weekend lunch. Essentially what happened was that the lunch was the least of my concerns between Urgent Call and the barbecue, and I had already made a substantial outlay for the latter, so I erred by limiting my downside risk for Uncle Joe's and not making a thorough count. I think ordering lunch should become a distinct role for CO weekend in future.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Get in the elevator.

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:16 am

Tees-Exe Line wrote:I'm sorry that the Uncle Joe's order turned out to be less than sufficient to feed all of those who needed to be fed. I agree that centralized food ordering is the ideal for all of CO weekend, and in future (barring Dave's generosity) there should be a more concerted effort toward floating a solvent financial structure for CO weekend lunch. Essentially what happened was that the lunch was the least of my concerns between Urgent Call and the barbecue, and I had already made a substantial outlay for the latter, so I erred by limiting my downside risk for Uncle Joe's and not making a thorough count. I think ordering lunch should become a distinct role for CO weekend in future.
Not to bag on anyone, but how exactly is this "ideal"? We had 45 minutes for lunch, enough time for me to walk down to Z&H, order and eat a sandwich, purchase a coffee and croissant at Medici, and walk back to campus to arrive 5 minutes before the start of the next round. People can certainly do whatever they like, but I opted out of centrally planned CO food because in my experience it's never worked all that well.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance

Susan

Post by Susan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:50 am

As someone who has coordinated centralized (not "ventralized" as my clumsy fingers would have it) food for CO before, ordering from one place on an opt-in basis is the way to go. People can do their own thing if they want (though if centralized food is provided you can be pretty merciless about enforcing a short break) and you avoid the potential "huge glut of quizbowlers storm the nearest place and make it take forever" issue. I'd strongly recommend against ordering from a couple of different places, though--I've never seen that turn out well (things arrive at three wildly different times, people grab food they didn't order because it's there and theirs isn't, sad vegetarians cry, etc.)
Susan
Member emerita, ACF