Matt Cvijanovich

Old college threads.
MichaelFalk
Lulu

Matt Cvijanovich

Post by MichaelFalk »

Greetings, everyone:

I apologize for passing news along in a message board posting, but I'm trying to reach everyone I possibly can who needs to know this news.

Matt Cvijanovich passed away today after a two-week battle with acute pancreatitis. His wake will be in Fargo, North Dakota at the Boulger Funeral Home on Wednesday.

This is really about all I know, but if you have any questions or need more information, please drop me an email at mjf27 at e-falk dot com.

Sincerely,
-Michael Falk
formerly of Iowa State
Chris Frankel
Wakka

Post by Chris Frankel »

My condolences.

He was a great player and contributor to the game, as his work on ACF Fall showed, and from my interactions with him he seemed like a good guy too.
suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

Matt was a fantastic player and a great guy...while I never got the opportunity to play on his team, he was always courteous and friendly at tournaments and the summer and fall semesters of practice we had with him.

I think I speak for all of us here at UIUC when I say we'll miss his presence as a friend and teammate. I just hope that other players can learn from his play, his sportsmanship, and his general demeanor...those things all certainly struck a chord with me.
Scipio
Wakka

Post by Scipio »

When I first read this I thought for a second that it might be a terrible, grisly joke. On a moment's reflection, I find myself really earnestly wishing it were a joke.

Like most people in quizbowl at large, I can't really claim that I knew Cvijanovich; when I played against him, I recall that he was an excellent player (he could on occasion beat me into myth questions, for example) whose skills certainly gained my respect. In addition, he always conducted himself both in and out of games with decorum, deportment, and what appears to have been a genuinely friendly demeanor. For those reasons, and for his editing of the ACF Fall, Matt brought something to the game, and I hope it is not inappropriate to say that I will miss him.

I will, in sum, add to the general consensus that Cvijanovich was a fine player and an overall good guy. To those who really knew him that sentiment may seem a little narrow, but I think it is safe to say that in the quizbowl universe such an epitaph is about the highest honor that can be bestowed. I hope we can all be remembered in such a way.
MichaelFalk
Lulu

More info on Matt

Post by MichaelFalk »

Hi everyone,
Here's new information that I've found today:

Matt's obituary from the Fargo Forum is
available online at:
http://new.in-forum.com/articles/index. ... obituaries

As nearly as I can tell, visiting the site above does not require registration, but if you try to reload the page it may try to make you register. Just a warning.

Visitation will be from 3:00-7:00 PM on Wednesday, January 5, 2005 at the Boulger Funeral Home, 123 South Tenth St, Fargo, ND 58103. If you're in the neighborhood and would like to make the drive to Fargo, you are welcome.

Flowers may be sent to the funeral home, but per the family's request, memorials may be made to the ISU Academic Quiz Club (address forthcoming). If you'd like to send a card or a letter to Matt's family, please write me for their address. If you've got memories of Matt to share, it will help to provide comfort in this very difficult time, and I know they'd love to hear from you. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to let me know-- email or post a reply.

You can find me as always at mjf27 at e-falk dot com

Thank you, everybody, for your kind words about Matt.

All the best,
-Michael Falk