Lederberg 2: Daughter Cell (3/29/14)

Old college threads.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Lederberg 2: Daughter Cell (3/29/14)

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I'm very pleased to announce a science side event, the Joshua Lederberg Memorial Science Tournament 2: Daughter Cell. This tournament will have 10 packets of 21 tossups, and no bonuses. Tossups will be around 8-10 lines and powermarked. I am serving as head editor, and will be writing this tournament with Michael Hausinger, Saajid Moyen, Harrison Brown, and Mike Cheyne.

The difficulty will fall somewhere between ACF regionals and ACF nationals. My goal for this tournament is to have a range of answers and clues such that both battle-hardened science players and non-scientists will enjoy this tournament. Basically, if you're majoring or minoring in a science, have any interest in science, and/or have ever answered a science question in quizbowl, there will be something in this tournament for you.

DISTRIBUTION
4 Biology
4 Chemistry
4 Physics
2 Earth Science
2 Astro
2 Computer Science
2 Math (Including Applied Math)
1 Trash/fun(n)

I am currently planning to run this event as a (EDIT: quads) tournament, and to pair it with ICT. The cost will be $5 per person. Any other logistical details will be made clear closer to the actual tournament date.

EDIT: I almost forgot. The team creation spreadsheet is https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing. This is the only official sign up sheet. Please only sign up here.
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Lederberg 2: Daughter Cell (11/23 or 24)

Post by Cheynem »

I, of course, am writing all the math.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

If you know some bio/chem/comp-sci/math and you don't care about winning, you should play with me.
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:This tournament will have 12 packets of 21 tossups, and no bonuses.
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:DISTRIBUTION
4/4 Biology
4/4 Chemistry
4/4 Physics
2/2 Earth Science
2/2 Astro
2/2 Computer Science
2/2 Math (Including Applied Math)
1/1 Trash/fun(n)
All teams playing this tournament automatically get 0 PPB!
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

The Superfluous Man wrote:
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:This tournament will have 12 packets of 21 tossups, and no bonuses.
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:DISTRIBUTION
4/4 Biology
4/4 Chemistry
4/4 Physics
2/2 Earth Science
2/2 Astro
2/2 Computer Science
2/2 Math (Including Applied Math)
1/1 Trash/fun(n)
All teams playing this tournament automatically get 0 PPB!
Whoops. Fixing...
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

So, is this tournament 21 tossups in regulation, or 20 tossups, with a tiebreaker? Does that mean all the tiebreakers are other science?
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

If the last iteration featured bonuses and this one won't, wouldn't a better subtitle be "Spore" or "Gamete" or something?
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

touchpack wrote:So, is this tournament 21 tossups in regulation, or 20 tossups, with a tiebreaker? Does that mean all the tiebreakers are other science?
I haven't decided yet; I'm inclined to just make it 21 tossups in regulation, just letting ties stand. If I decide to go with 20 tossups in regulation, the tiebreaker will be chosen from the big three.
If the last iteration featured bonuses and this one won't, wouldn't a better subtitle be "Spore" or "Gamete" or something?
I wish I had thought of this.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:
touchpack wrote:So, is this tournament 21 tossups in regulation, or 20 tossups, with a tiebreaker? Does that mean all the tiebreakers are other science?
I haven't decided yet; I'm inclined to just make it 21 tossups in regulation, just letting ties stand. If I decide to go with 20 tossups in regulation, the tiebreaker will be chosen from the big three.
I'd personally prefer in that case to play all 21 tossups then.
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF
Fond du lac operon
Wakka

Post by Fond du lac operon »

Cheynem wrote:I, of course, am writing all the math.
Whereas I am handling the chemistry, astro, and the obligatory 1 hip-hop-related question per packet.
Harrison Brown
Centennial '08, Alabama '13

"No idea what [he's] talking about."
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Fond du lac operon wrote:
Cheynem wrote:I, of course, am writing all the math.
Whereas I am handling the chemistry, astro, and the obligatory 1 hip-hop-related question per packet.
DIE
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Upon reflection and talking to people, I have decided to move this tournament to the Saturday of ICT, to take place after ICT. This will ensure a larger field and more fun for everybody.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Re: Lederberg 2: Daughter Cell (3/29/14)

So this tournament is still being written at a fairly healthy rate. Bio's done, and chemistry, math, and astro are progressing quite well.

At this point, I'd like to ask if any of quizbowl's earth scientists have questions or ideas to contribute to this tournament. It seems like, as a category, earth science gets kind of a bad rap, and if there are topics that are perpetually neglected, I would be happy to put them in. It's also my worst category, so without the community's input it's going to take a lot more effort (proportionally) to get it up to par.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Post by Sun Devil Student »

Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur wrote:If you know some bio/chem/comp-sci/math and you don't care about winning, you should play with me.
I can help you with the bio and up to half of the chemistry. At this difficulty level, you'll want someone other than me for comp-sci or math. If this sounds like a good deal to you, feel free to move me from the free agent list onto your team.

If not, then I'll enter as a free agent and need teammates to help with (in descending order of weaknesses) physics, all the minor sciences, and chemistry.
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Updates:
1. The field is filling up fairly quickly. I would like to see free agents pair off into teams ASAP.

2. We're going to need quite a few readers and rooms. I would like to cap this tournament at 16 (EDIT: or 18) teams; failing at that, I'd like to cap it at 14 (we're at 13.5 now). Thus, I'd like to get seven more readers and seven rooms to play the tournament in. I'm assuming the people playing will be willing to offer their rooms (though I will be confirming this closer to the tournament), and readers will be given pizza for their time. Please get in contact with me or sign up on the field spreadsheet if you're interested in reading (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing)

3. My math editor has bailed. If anyone would like to take his place, please let me know.
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:3. My math editor has bailed. If anyone would like to take his place, please let me know.
Is this strictly an editorial position, and if so, who is doing the writing? I might be interested, but I do not have time to actually write the questions.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

jonah wrote:
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:3. My math editor has bailed. If anyone would like to take his place, please let me know.
Is this strictly an editorial position, and if so, who is doing the writing? I might be interested, but I do not have time to actually write the questions.
It's also a writing position, but I would appreciate you playtesting the questions at some point.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:
jonah wrote:
It's also a writing position, but I would appreciate you playtesting the questions at some point.
Yeah, I'll stick to playtesting. Sorry.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

There are currently 35 people who want to play this tournament, and the field cap is set for 32 people. Is this tournament going to remain doubles, is further interest simply going to be met by expanding the field to massive size? I'd like to know so I can start figuring out who I want to play with early if the number of players on a team increases.

(my personal preference would be quads)
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

As someone who is bad at science but interested in playing this tournament it would be great if team size limits were increased.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Mike Bentley wrote:As someone who is bad at science but interested in playing this tournament it would be great if team size limits were increased.
Yeah upon further reflection, there's way more people wanting to play this tournament than I had anticipated. I hereby make Lederberg a tournament of quads. I would like to see 10 or 12 total teams; the former would allow a full RR and finals on a 12-packet set (in fact I could make it an 11 packet set in that case) and the latter would just be a 12 team RR and a one game final (which isn't ideal but it's a side event). Please rearrange yourselves accordingly.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Some updates. The tournament's now 10 packets, since no one's going to play 12 packets after ICT. Next, I've been alerted that there's more interest for the tournament than 12 teams will hold. If there's enough interest for 14 teams, I can expand the field, but an odd number of teams is basically untenable.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

FINAL UPDATE

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... _web#gid=0

This tournament is happening, and will start no later than half an hour after the awards ceremony for ICT proper. Please meet in the lobby of the hotel as soon after the ICT awards as possible, and please have 5$/person ready to go (cash, check, or Venmo acceptable). Some logistics:

STRUCTURE

There are 14 teams playing this tournament. If you are still on the free agent list and want to be on a team, are currently on a team and don't want to be/can't play the tournament, or if the above spreadsheet is inaccurate in any way, please make the requisite changes ASAP. If you want to play this tournament and there's no room for you, find a way to bring the team total up to 16 so that it still works. I would like to be able to make schedules during the day on Friday, so if the teams aren't set by Friday morning, I'll randomly assign free agents to teams.

Unless the total number of teams changes, we'll be splitting into two brackets of 7, doing a round robin (including a cross-bracket game), then playing a two-game cross-bracket playoff (seeded by W-L, then PPG). Your final placement will be determined by how you do in your final pod of four teams, with a one-game final to break any ties. I realize this is non-ideal, but I weighed the options of allowing more people to play vs having an ideal structure (ie a 12-team 6/6 into 3 x-over deal), and decided it was better to allow more people to play.

ROOMS, READERS, AND BUZZERS

I currently have (EDIT: 5) rooms for this tournament; we'll need 7. If you're staying in the ICT hotel and are willing to allow your room to be used as a game room, please contact me. I also have six buzzer systems lined up, and would really like a seventh.

Seven people (Myself, Michael Hausinger, Rob Carson, Ophir Lif, Will Alston, Jacob Reed, and Tanay Kothari) have volunteered to read at this tournament, which is just enough to run seven rooms - thanks to all of you. However, I could use a stats person (EDIT: found one - thanks Nick from Yale).

FOOD

I'm arranging a food order for the staff, but it's logistically difficult for me to order pizza for the whole tournament. Please arrange dinner orders for yourself in advance of the tournament, preferably within the half-hour between the end of ICT and the start of this tournament. Eating during the tournament is encouraged.

Hope to see everyone there.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Nicholas Karas has dropped from our team, so we have an open spot if anybody wants it. Get in touch with me or any of my teammates if you want it!
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

There is one change to the schedule. All matches scheduled to occur in Room 2342 will instead take place in Room 445.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

This tournament was super awesome; staaaaaaaaats will probably be up tomorrow.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

This tournament was wacky and great. 10/10 would play again.

For anyone curious about results, the teitler/koo/sundberg/beyer team beat the busse/jose/mcpeak/silverman team in the finals 90-80.
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

This tournament happened, with "Team Teamocil" (Seth Teitler, Selene Koo, Billy Beyer, and Jake Sundberg) going undefeated to win.

Prelims: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/

Playoffs: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/

Combined: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/

Thanks very much to those of you who staffed, and I hope people found the tournament itself enjoyable.
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I guess everyone who wanted to has probably already played this, but is there any possibility that this might be run at some future date (perhaps online?) for those of us who didn't get to ICT? I'm assiduously avoiding the discussion thread for the moment in hopes of possibly playing these questions, but if there are no plans for that to happen, then maybe I'll just go ahead and read it.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

grapesmoker wrote:I guess everyone who wanted to has probably already played this, but is there any possibility that this might be run at some future date (perhaps online?) for those of us who didn't get to ICT? I'm assiduously avoiding the discussion thread for the moment in hopes of possibly playing these questions, but if there are no plans for that to happen, then maybe I'll just go ahead and read it.
I'd be very happy to read this over skype to anyone who wants to listen.

EDIT: I have added a signup to the team formation sheet in the OP.
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Cool, cool. If anyone wants to play this and would like to set a time (after Nationals would work best for me, obviously) please post in this thread.
Jerry Vinokurov
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

I'll play, though I don't expect to get many tossups outside of computer science and the occasional molecular bio tossup. Anytime in late April or beyond works for me.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

I am interested in playing this.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
samus149
Wakka

Post by samus149 »

I would like to (incompetently) play this too.
Sean M.
HTHS '14
Cornell University '18
UCSB '23

The opinions presented in this user's posts have not been approved by HTHS Quizbowl Team. Viewer discretion is advised. - Patrick LeBlanc, Captain
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

I liked playing this tournament a lot, even in a state of exhaustion, and it was nice to put some faces with names and meet other quizbowlers who like science. If you didn't play it after ICT and you're on the fence about doing so over Skype, I highly recommend participating.
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
shrey96
Lulu

Post by shrey96 »

I'd like to participate over Skype! I did listen to the last two rounds as a spectator of sorts after the ICT, but I'd love to play the first eight.
Shreyas Vissapragada
Columbia University '17
Metea Valley High School '13
gustavadolf
Lulu

Post by gustavadolf »

I'd be up, tentatively, to play this over Skype.
Corin Wagen
Kealing '12
LASA '16
MIT '20
anderson
Lulu

Post by anderson »

I'm interested. Second half of April or later would also be best for me.
Anderson Wang
Wissahickon HS '12
MIT '16
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I might drop in on a Skype mirror.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

I would like to see an online mirror happen too
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
Edmund
Wakka

Post by Edmund »

Time difference and internet connection permitting, I'd play an online mirror. Obviously weekends are best.
Edmund Dickinson
UK Quizbowl
University of Oxford '11
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I too would like to play an online mirror.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
nitajain
Kimahri

Post by nitajain »

I would also be very interested in playing this over Skype.
Nita Jain
UGA '15
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Everyone and anyone who is interested in playing a skype mirror of this tournament, please post your email address and skype name in here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ring#gid=2. I would like to ideally do it this Saturday night or sometime during the week next week.

EDIT: Forgot to ask for skype name
Last edited by Sima Guang Hater on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

This Saturday is the last night of Passover, which is going to make it difficult for me and perhaps a few of the others. Next weekend would be splendid for me, though, or any night during the week.
Jerry Vinokurov
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

Depending on when this is being held, I can help read.
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

Are we relying on the honor system and assuming that no one will look at the quizbowl packet archive?
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Hidehiro Anto wrote:Are we relying on the honor system and assuming that no one will look at the quizbowl packet archive?
no, this is actually intended on being played under the assumption that people had seen the packets
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

The Skype mirror of this tournament will be tonight (4/23/2014) at 8PM EST. [EDIT: reader found]. There are two spots left in the field, so if you want to play, feel free to email/get in contact with me
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Stats for the online mirror can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/. Commentary to follow.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD