Arizona Quizbowl Association - Arizona NAQT SCT (2/9/14)

Old college threads.
AZQuizbowl
Lulu

Arizona Quizbowl Association - Arizona NAQT SCT (2/9/14)

Post by AZQuizbowl »

Arizona Quizbowl Association will be hosting an Arizona branch of NAQT's SCT (Sectional Championship Tournament) on Sunday February 9th, 2014 on Arizona State University's Tempe Campus.

This post will be updated as more information becomes available.

If you are interested in attending or have any questions, feel free to comment on this post or email me directly at [email protected] .

We are expecting teams from Arizona State and University of Arizona. Teams from California are encouraged to attend.

Fee Structure:
First team: $120
Subsequent teams: $100

Lockout system: -$10
Clock: -$5
Moderator: -$30
New School: -$20

Registration is done via NAQT's online system here.
Payment can be made via cash or check and is due on the day of the tournament. Please make checks payable to Arizona Quizbowl Association.
Invoices will be issued upon request.

Suggested Hotels:

Days Inn Tempe ASU
The Days Inn is about a 20 minute walk to the tournament site and is roughly 65 dollars a night.

Mariott Residence Inn Tempe Downtown/UniversityThe Mariott Residence Inn is a new hotel that is a 5 minute walk from the tournament site. Rates are around 150-200 dollars a night.

Twin Palm HotelsTwin Palms is on the opposite side of campus from the building we'll be using; roughly a 5-10 minute walk. Rates are about 100 dollars a night.

Super 8 Tempe ASUThe Super 8 is about a 15 minute walk to the tournament site with rates at about 65 dollars a night.

Current Field:

DI:
Claremont Colleges
New Mexico State University
University of Arizona
Arizona State University

DII:
Claremont Colleges

Buzzers:
Claremont Colleges (1)
Arizona State (1)
Arizona Quizbowl Association (2)
Last edited by AZQuizbowl on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bunnie Hadsall
Arizona Quizbowl Association
Future Founder of the Dog Bowl

Walk away, crawl away. Your choice.
sonny
Lulu

ASU SCT posts

Post by sonny »

Hey Jeff,

Are you aware of any teams that are interested in going to the Southwestern site here at ASU? I just want to gauge the level of interest for this qualifier. I am aware that some of the schools in CA could go to the site at Berkeley as well.

Thanks
Sonny Vo
Arizona State
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: 2014 NAQT SCT: February 8

Post by Important Bird Area »

At least UC San Diego is significantly closer to ASU than to Berkeley. For the Los Angeles-area schools the drive is about the same in either direction.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
The Tourist
Lulu

Re: Arizona Quizbowl Association - Arizona NAQT SCT (2/9/14)

Post by The Tourist »

The University of Arizona will officially emerge from our lengthy slumber to attend this tournament. Sadly for my unsuspecting young teammates, we will be D1.

As an aside, should our preferences be part of the scheduling calculus, the U of A would find it much easier to attend tournaments on Saturdays in the future.
Ian McCloskey
Arizona State '13
Arizona '16
AZQuizbowl
Lulu

Re: Arizona Quizbowl Association - Arizona NAQT SCT (2/9/14)

Post by AZQuizbowl »

The Tourist wrote:The University of Arizona will officially emerge from our lengthy slumber to attend this tournament. Sadly for my unsuspecting young teammates, we will be D1.

As an aside, should our preferences be part of the scheduling calculus, the U of A would find it much easier to attend tournaments on Saturdays in the future.
We definitely loved having U of A at the SCT. Many apologies about the Sunday event--we had a National History Bee and Bowl event the day before that had been scheduled for some time, so when NAQT contacted us to run an SCT we didn't have the staff to cover both simultaneously, so they allowed us a Sunday tournament. When we do our schedule for next year, we will be taking the SCT into account.

Thanks again for coming up--it's great not only to see U of A participation, but it was awesome seeing you again!
Bunnie Hadsall
Arizona Quizbowl Association
Future Founder of the Dog Bowl

Walk away, crawl away. Your choice.