Science Fiction Side Event Packet Available

Old college threads.
silverscreentest
Lulu

Science Fiction Side Event Packet Available

Post by silverscreentest » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:40 am

Every year at the Balticon convention over Memorial Day, I hold a science fiction trivia contest in the format of my movie trivia game show Silver Screen Test. I have taken the questions I used then, re-formatted them and re-arranged them into a document with 53 toss-ups and 46 three-part bonuses. The toss-ups are three-sentence pyramidal with power marks, which you can feel free to ignore. There are also visual and audio parts to some bonuses.

Science fiction in this case also includes fantasy and horror. Most of it is about written works, movies and television, with questions about written works about twice the total of movies and television combined. There is also a smattering of other stuff of interest to geekery such as comic books, artwork, video games, anime, websites and actual science.

My thought was to offer this as a live side event. If you're interested, post here, send me a PM or an email at brick@silverscreentest.com. If I get no takers I'll just send it over to Mike Bentley's Wastebin in a few weeks.

alexdz
Rikku

Re: Science Fiction Side Event Packet Available

Post by alexdz » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:44 pm

This sounds interesting. I could definitely be interested in this as a side event if it were scheduled/located in a good place for me.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Coach, Harcum College (PA)
====
Former midwesterner (South Callaway - Mizzou - UIUC) coping with life on the east coast.

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:49 pm

Brick has authorized me to do a reading of this packet on Saturday night (probably around 8 CST). I'll probably read it with people playing one on one and getting first crack at bonuses if they get the tossup. After reading through the packet, the difficulty is a bit all over the place (harder in literature, I think) and the definition of sci-fi is very, very generous, so be warned.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:56 pm

If you are interested in playing this, please come to the IRC room #scifi at 7 CST.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger