Chicago Open 2014 (July 19-20, UChicago)

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Chicago Open 2014 (July 19-20, UChicago)

Post by theMoMA »

I'm buying pizza for the staffers on Saturday; I don't know Auroni's plan for feeding staffers.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Touko Kettunen wrote:Is food free for staffers or do we need to pony up as well?

Also, Chicago is having a pre-CO practice on Friday in the Regenstein library from 2-5 if anyone wants to come.
The food is being ordered for everyone there (staffers and players alike). Since many staffers for a given event are playing other events, I think it's fair to make food free for people who are only staffing that day.

With that said, if you (general you) drop out of an event you're signed up to play just so that you can avoid having to pay for lunch, you are a shitty person. Do not do this.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Okay, sorry if I'm being obtuse, but this last message makes me wonder if I understand: is lunch from Uncle Joe's automatically being ordered for everyone who's playing stuff on Sunday, then, regardless of one specifically requesting it from you, Auroni? Right now it looks like I'm playing the history doubles in the morning, but since I'm skipping the video games and coming back for the lit, I figured I'd take care of my own lunch off campus.

I'm assuming that's okay, as the original message said we need to give you $5 only if we want in, but let me know if I'm expected to be part of Uncle Joe's ordering by dint of being registered for two of the tournaments Sunday.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:Okay, sorry if I'm being obtuse, but this last message makes me wonder if I understand: is lunch from Uncle Joe's automatically being ordered for everyone who's playing stuff on Sunday, then, regardless of one specifically requesting it from you, Auroni? Right now it looks like I'm playing the history doubles in the morning, but since I'm skipping the video games and coming back for the lit, I figured I'd take care of my own lunch off campus.

I'm assuming that's okay, as the original message said we need to give you $5 only if we want in, but let me know if I'm expected to be part of Uncle Joe's ordering by dint of being registered for two of the tournaments Sunday.
That's fine, you don't need to pay if you don't plan to eat the provided lunch.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Arun is unable to make the tournament, so anyone who wants to play for free as the 4th person on our team should e-mail me at [email protected].
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Kay, Chicago.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

So is this when we start making up names for the accomplishments of the Virginians? Like "Matt Bollinger just completed the Triple Double, winning both team titles and individual scoring crowns at ICT, ACF, and Chicago in the same year"?
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

jonpin wrote:So is this when we start making up names for the accomplishments of the Virginians? Like "Matt Bollinger just completed the Triple Double, winning both team titles and individual scoring crowns at ICT, ACF, and Chicago in the same year"?
Actually a quadruple double if you count NHBB. You've done David Robinson proud, son.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

People started to head home before 8pm, a good time was had by all, etc. Thanks for coming to CO.

Congratulations to the Virginia + Mukherjee for a great showing today. It was fun to read for all the teams, too. Every one has interesting depth and breadth in their knowledge... There were some fantastic buzzes and hard parts being pulled throughout the day.

The questions are going to be used next weekend, too... so unless Andrew says otherwise, hold off on discussing the set for now.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Gautam wrote:The questions are going to be used next weekend, too... so unless Andrew says otherwise, hold off on discussing the set for now.
At what event?

Hearty congratulations to Matt Bollinger, Evan Adams, and Tommy Casalaspi for quadrupling the number of single-year Triple Crown winners. This was a really fun, really well-run day of quizbowl (Chicago Open done with 15 rounds at 7:30 PM, thanks to a sterling staffer corps), and while the set had some rough patches here or there, it made for a really engaging and interesting day.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Is a private discussion forum going to be set up?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Congratulations to Matt, Eric, Tommy, and Evan! They were one of the most deserving CO champions I've seen.

Thanks to everyone who played. I was so impressed with the level of play throughout the whole day. Editing this tournament is all about seeing people enjoy and excel on the questions, and that was overwhelmingly what I saw.

Special thanks to also everyone who staffed and moderated; you guys were amazing. I'm especially grateful to Joe Su, Kay Li, and Chris Romero. The fact that the tournament ran smoothly and efficiently was largely thanks to their constant attention to any possible issues.

Finally, a HUGE thank you to Ike Jose, Gautam and Gaurav Kandlikar, Jacob Reed, and Austin Brownlow for their work on the set. The tournament couldn't have happened without them. As I told a couple people today, in the last 12 days, I started a job at a law firm that I didn't expect to begin this early when I took the editorship. For the past two weeks, I've worked on the set in basically every free moment when I wasn't billing hours or sleeping; Ike, Gautam, Gaurav, Jacob, and Austin answered my emails at all hours and kept churning out great questions without any need for prodding. They made what was otherwise a very unpleasant situation for me so much easier. If you're ever going to spend 17 hours editing CO in lieu of celebrating your birthday, I highly recommend doing it with these guys.

I've set up a private discussion forum that you can access through your User Control Panel (User Control Panel > Usergroups > CO 2014 discussion [click radio button and go to "submit" at the bottom after making sure that the "select" drop-down menu is on "join selected"]). Discuss away.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
gaurav.kandlikar
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by gaurav.kandlikar »

We found a set of keys on a pink carabiner adorned with unruly white and green strings. Find me today to claim them, or email me if you won't be at the site.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Thanks to the organizers, editors, and everyone else involved with the set for an excellent time. I look forward to hearing the final three packets on IRC or some such venue.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I'll read the final three packets in the IRC Wednesday night at around 9pm central barring a litigation emergency.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
MLafer
Rikku

Post by MLafer »

The stats still show my team lost to the Gehring team. We actually won this game after our protest was upheld and then scored points on the subsequent bonus.
Matt Lafer
Plymouth Salem 1997-2001
University of Michigan 2001-2005
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

MLafer wrote:The stats still show my team lost to the Gehring team. We actually won this game after our protest was upheld and then scored points on the subsequent bonus.
I think history is unclear on the real outcome of that whole protest. Other than the part where Kurtis tried to play a bonus he already heard.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

OctagonJoe wrote:
MLafer wrote:The stats still show my team lost to the Gehring team. We actually won this game after our protest was upheld and then scored points on the subsequent bonus.
I think history is unclear on the real outcome of that whole protest. Other than the part where Kurtis tried to play a bonus he already heard.
Is this the match that had the physics protest?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Yes. I emailed Kay to have him correct it.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

It's been corrected. Message me if you have any other corrections.
Kay, Chicago.
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Reading packets 16-18 in about 90 minutes. Drop by #quizbowl around 9 and we'll move to a separate room to play the questions.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I posted the set. It should be here as soon as it's approved: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/questionsets/743
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum