33. Columbia B - Same deal here. I'm sure you guys are smart, you go to Columbia!
32. Notre Dame - This is apparently a guy playing solo. I admire you, guy playing solo! I'm not looking forward to playing ACF Nationals with a full team.
31. Chicago C - In an already star-studded ACF Nationals, the cast of the hit NBC drama Chicago Fire plays as Chicago C. David Eigenberg gets a little use out of his philosophy degree, and Jesse Spencer distracts Columbia B with his dreamy eyes that you could just fall into forever and ever, just you and Jesse Spencer together, soulmates, marry me, Jesse Spencer.
30. VCU - Cody Voight is severely disadvantaged when the only earth science tossup in the entire tournament is on "sunshine."
29. Truman State - Truman State foolishly goes to Famous Original Rays instead of Original Famous Rays for lunch in NYC, leading to them getting food poisoning after the lunch break.
28. Carleton College - Does Carsten Gehring still go here? What about 19th century Supreme Court justice Pierce Butler? I might be a little out of date on this team's roster.
27. Hunter College - Is this Doug Yetman? Is anything Doug Yetman, really?
26. South Carolina - In rankings threads, it's actually good for a team when I forget about them, because it means they move up in the rankings.
25. Penn B - James Lasker fuckin' nails that tossup on "sunshine."
24. Rutgers - I owe this team 30 bucks. Come and find me and get your 30 dollars, Rutgers!
23. Alabama - In a crucial game, the final tossup simply asks players to "make a funny post in a rankings thread." Sadly, no member of the Alabama team is able to.
22. Northwestern - As the quizbowl facebook group helpfully and constantly reminds me, Dylan Minarik is on this team.
21. Berkeley A - This team's relaxed, Cali surfer-bro style ends up clashing hilariously with this fast-talking, uptight New York tournament.
20. Michigan State - Wins on a tossup on Society Against the State, which happens to be the name of Joe Nutter's anarchist punk band.
19. Chicago B - I brought in guest analyst Donovan McNabb's Twitter feed for this prediction:
18. Maryland B - This team takes a hit after Isaac Hirsch's guest set at Caroline's on Friday night leads to immediate television offers, leaving the team a player short as he prepares for production on his sitcom.@DonovanJMcNabb wrote: I have Chicago B as 19th. Do you think they will do better or worse? What do you think?
17. North Carolina - While finishing in the middle of the pack, Nick Neutefel invents 4 new quizbowl statistics during the tournament.
16. Stanford A - Despite being the #1 overall seed in the tournament, the team underperforms.
15. WUSTL - WUSTL is a team that is left on the ACF Nationals field spreadsheet.
14. William & Mary - Shit, I forgot about William & Mary. Enjoy 15th, William & Mary!
13. Ohio State - With Mike Cheyne not playing this tournament, Jarret Greene feels a strange sense of ennui and ceases answering tossups or competing at all, really.
12. Washington A - This team has a lot of heart, but Mike Bentley's lack of a post presence and Libo Zheng's shaky jump shot will hurt them down the stretch.
11. Harvard A - Harvard is placed in a bracket with Maryland A, Chicago A, Virginia A, Penn and Yale.
10. Alberta - Now that I'm out of the Fantasy Quizbowl play-offs, Trevor Davis goes off and has a great tournament, scoring in droves. This would make me very unhappy if I cared about fantasy quizbowl at all.
9. Dartmouth A - Dartmouth makes a Cinderella run that falls just short when Nick Jensen somehow fails to identify the T. Rex in a bonus part.
8. Columbia A - Did I overrate this team? Probably. Am I doing a terrible job of keeping track of which teams I have and haven't done yet? Yes.
7. Illinois A -
I like this dumb joke I made this year and would like to re-use it.Me, last year wrote:After their surprise ICT performance last year, I think it's safe to say everybody is onboard the Billy Busse.
6. Michigan - Due to a typo, Will Nediger becomes Will Negider and performs disastrously in the playoffs.
5. Chicago A - Marshall Steinbaum spontaneously combusts after Matt Weiner pops his head into the gameroom to deny his protest a second before he even lodges it.
4. Maryland A - Chris Ray reveals he only planned on graduating with the assumption that he would win Nats this year and, well...
3. Penn A - Quizbowl Emergency Hospital S3, E5: "An arm injury to patient Dallas Simons leads Dr. Mukherjee to undertake a risky operation right before nationals." (2014)
2. Yale A - Yale A this year is like the Yale A last year of getting second place.
1. Virginia A - Matt Bollinger wins the finals on a clue about a Herbie Hancock song I told him about once, technically making me an ACF Nationals champion.