DEES at WKU (12/7/14)

Old college threads.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

DEES at WKU (12/7/14)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The WKU Academic Competition Club will be hosting a mirror of DEES, or Demonstratively Excellent Educational Saturnalia on December 7 in Bowling Green, KY. I, Nick Conder, will be directing this tournament. This is no longer packet-submission, so if you wrote a packet for a discount you'll get that discount, and the everybody else can come play too.

Fees
$120 base fee
$10 moderator discount
$10 buzzer discount (max: 2)
$10 travel discount (per 200 miles, one-way, as determined by Google Maps or Mapquest)

Please bring payment on the day of the tournament in the form of cash or a check made out to the WKU Academic Competition Club. Despite what address I tell teams to mail payments to, advances in technology have rendered many otherwise intelligent people incapable of using the US Postal Service properly. If for some bizarre reason you're absolutely required to mail payment ahead of time, ask me well in advance so I can tell you where to send it. You will not be allowed to pay after December 7 except in extreme circumstances. If those extreme circumstances occur, you must notify me in advance, and I will reserve the right to assess late fees on your payment. Discounts will not be given to teams who bring bad moderators or broken buzzers.

Eligibility
This tournament is open to all teams whose players attend the same educational institution. Students who are enrolled in both high school and college are welcome to play with either institution, although for obvious reasons you can only play for one team over the course of the tournament. If you have ever been caught cheating at a quizbowl competition, you are not allowed to play or attend this tournament. This tournament is technically open to non-students, but under no circumstances can non-students join existing college teams nor can players at separate colleges play on the same team; I'll also be regulating the non-student policy to keep out superteams.

Format
We'll be using ACF rules for this event, questions are not power-marked, and we expect to offer teams at least 11 games. We'll finalize the format when we figure out how many teams we're going to have. The field is capped at 12 teams, although this may be subject to change as we approach the tournament.

Logistics
This tournament will take place in Cherry Hall on WKU's campus. The address for this building is 1906 College Heights Blvd. Bowling Green, KY and a picture of the building is my avatar. Parking is available across the street in the College Hill Lot, there are several lunch options on WKU's campus and even more within a couple miles of campus. Registration will start at 8:00 AM in the lobby of Cherry, and will end at 8:30. Everybody should plan to be here by 8:30, as we plan to have the tournament started no later than 9:00 AM, and even earlier if you all get here on time. The end of the tournament will depend on how many rounds we end up having, but expect it to be somewhere around 5:00 or 6:00 PM. We will provide awards to the top 3 teams and top 8 players.

To register for this tournament, please post in this thread and email us at [email protected]
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: DEES @ WKU (12/6/14)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Field (10 teams)
Alabama (2 teams)
Gatton Academy (1 team)
Kentucky (2 teams)
Kenyon (1 team)
Louisville (1 team)
Thompson/Lee Open (1 team)
Wright State (1 team)
House team
Last edited by Rococo A Go Go on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:02 am, edited 24 times in total.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: DEES @ WKU (12/6/14)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

We have a history of opening the decision on whether our college tournaments take place on Saturday or Sunday to the teams interested in attending, and this time is no different. I've already heard from Vandy that nothing would prevent them from coming either day, and I know at least one other school prefers Sunday. If a groundswell of interested teams support moving the tournament to Sunday, we'll do so, and may indeed do so unless there are many opposed to it.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: DEES @ WKU (12/7/14)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Note that we have decided to host this tournament on Sunday, December 7.

I've also updated the field, which is starting to come together. Packet deadlines are coming and going, so get to writing your packets!
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: DEES at WKU (12/7/14)

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The no-penalty deadline for packets is this Sunday, so people should be getting those in. We have fairly small field with two months to go, but we can accommodate up to 12 (and possibly more) so please get your registrations in soon!
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The lack of area teams who even bothered to submit packets does concern me a bit, but this tournament is still happening. We need a field of at least 4 to make this tournament work, and since we have that right now, the plans are all full speed ahead. Getting a few more teams would make this tournament much easier on the hosts and the attending the teams of course, and this will surely be a fun event full of great questions, so please sign up and attend!
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Good news everybody! We have a decent field materializing, a lot of people have stepped up to help edit the set since Charlie disappeared, and the easing of rules surrounding who can play this tournament means many of you who had previously ruled out attending should definitely reconsider. This tournament's packet requirement is now optional, so if you did not write a packet this will not be used to keep you out of the field. If you did write a packet (this should just apply to Louisville) then you'll still receive the proper discount. Also this tournament is technically open to non-students, but under no circumstances non-students join existing college teams nor can players at separate colleges play on the same team; I'll also be regulating the non-student policy to keep out superteams.

Anybody in the region who wants to play this tournament should contact us soon at [email protected]
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

I will express interest in attending this tournament as part of an open team.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
a bird
Wakka

Post by a bird »

Kenyon is currently looking into attending this.
Graham R.

Maryland
bing10
Lulu

Post by bing10 »

Wright State is definitely interested in this, pending finding enough team members to attend.
Emily Bingham
Northmont High School 2011
Wright State University
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

I'm very likely to show up as a staffer, but I can also join an open team if the need arises.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

We're dropping the house team with the understanding that the field is going to be large enough that we won't need to throw anybody out there. If we end up on 5 teams or some other unfortunate number, they may get added again.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Since I'm now almost certain there won't be any conflicts for me on that day, I am going to sign up. If anyone wants to join my team, feel free to message me.
Jasper Lee
Solon High School '10
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

Unicolored Jay wrote:Since I'm now almost certain there won't be any conflicts for me on that day, I am going to sign up. If anyone wants to join my team, feel free to message me.
Would you be interested in combining with the other current open team? Right now it's just me and a friend, so that would make it three of us.
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
Unicolored Jay

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Vissi d'arte wrote:
Unicolored Jay wrote:Since I'm now almost certain there won't be any conflicts for me on that day, I am going to sign up. If anyone wants to join my team, feel free to message me.
Would you be interested in combining with the other current open team? Right now it's just me and a friend, so that would make it three of us.
Alright, cool!
Jasper Lee
Solon High School '10
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The field is currently at 10 teams. I'll send out an email with logistical information later this week, possibly as early as Wednesday. If you're planning on dropping teams, or if there's somebody out there on the fence about attending, I'll need to know ASAP.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

EDIT (12/7, 9:16 AM) Kentucky C dropped yesterday and Gatton dropped this morning due to illness. We won't be using a house team and instead threw together an 8 team, 10 round schedule on the fly. Round 1 is underway and stats will appear periodically throughout today.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
mriggle
Lulu

Post by mriggle »

At the end of the day, the open team "Postmaster General of Sri Lanka" went undefeated (10-0) and won the WKU mirror of DEES. Kenyon (8-2) finished second and Wright State (5-5) finished third.

The top five individual scorers in the preliminary games were, in order:

Jasper Lee
Graham Reid
Jason Thompson
Emily Bingham
Ramapriya Rangaraju

Thanks to everyone who came! Full stats should be posted by the end of the night.
Last edited by mriggle on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Riggle
Pope John Paul II Catholic High School (Huntsville, Alabama): 2008-2012
Western Kentucky University: 2012-present
The ChatSack Triple-Play
Lulu

Post by The ChatSack Triple-Play »

After a regrettable sleep-related delay, combined stats are up.
Sasha Malone
WKU '20

they/them

"Because we're young we think nothing can destroy us. Something can." ~ John Darnielle