ICCS @ uWaterloo (September 27th)

Old college threads.
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

ICCS @ uWaterloo (September 27th)

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

uWaterloo is pleased to announce that we will be holding a mirror of the Introductory Collaborative Collegiate Set (ICCS) on the 27th of September. The full announcement for the tournament can be found here at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16162&p=288089&hilit=iccs.

Who is eligible? The eligibility rules run as follows:

1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
ii. If you have ever finished in the top 15 in scoring at PACE NSC or top 30 in scoring at NAQT HSNCT, or played on a team that finished in the top 10 at NSC or the top 20 at HSNCT.
iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.
6. Even if one of the rule 4 categories applies to you, you may still be able to play! Email [email protected] to apply for special dispensation. To apply: 1) state which of the rule 4 points would render you otherwise ineligible; 2) list when and how you achieved any of the accomplishments that led to your being otherwise ineligible; and 3) state succinctly why you want to play.

The cost will be $15 per person, with a $10 discount for buzzers.

The tournament will start at 10am, with registering opening at 9:30, so please don't be there any later than 9:30. The tournament will be held in the Rod Coutts Hall (RCH), with RCH 301 serving as the base room.

To register, post here or send me an email at [email protected]
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
Rikku

Re: ICCS @ uWaterloo (September 27th)

Field update:

McMaster A
McMaster B
Toronto
Waterloo A
Waterloo B
Last edited by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Looks like a pretty small field...I'll be there on Saturday with a flock of Mac noobs. Can I be a reader?
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

Toronto will be sending one team.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Rikku

Senator_Jay wrote:Looks like a pretty small field...I'll be there on Saturday with a flock of Mac noobs. Can I be a reader?
Urgh, if you must.

Number of Waterloo house teams is widely oscillating right now, but should be nailed down within 24 hours.
Rikku

A reminder that this tournament will be held in RCH (and *not* MC, in a shocking twist).
mhyee
Lulu

Post by mhyee »

This tournament is underway. The second round is currently being played.

Stats are posted here and will be updated as the scoresheets come in.

(There was already a listing for this tournament in the database. I couldn't add stats to that one, so I had to create a new entry. Sorry for the confusion.)
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
Formerly University of Waterloo
mhyee
Lulu

Post by mhyee »

After the round robin, the top two teams were Toronto (6-0) and Waterloo A (5-1). We played an advantaged final, where Waterloo A won the first game, and then Toronto won the second game, thus winning the tournament.

Congratulations to Toronto for winning Waterloo's mirror of ICCS. Thanks to all the teams for showing up!

The round robin stats have been updated. Final and combined stats will be posted later this evening.

EDIT: Final and combined stats are now up.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
Formerly University of Waterloo
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

I would like to thank Aayush, Aaron, Ming-Ho, Leslie, Jay, and all the others involved in making this tournament a great success. While I was a little disappointed with the results of my team, especially compared to our bonus conversion, it shows where we have to improve as a team. The other teams we played against were wonderful, and I was greatly impressed with the knowledge shown by these novices.
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
Rikku

Thanks to Western, Toronto and McMaster for coming down yesterday. Much fun was had and we hope the players enjoyed themselves.

Thanks to Aaron, Jay, Leslie and Matthew Roffey for staffing.