PATHOGEN at Purdue, December 6

Old college threads.
stanjast
Lulu

PATHOGEN at Purdue, December 6

Post by stanjast » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:49 pm

The Purdue University Academic Team is proud to announce it will host the inaugural running of the Purdue Academic Team's Handful Of Games Exercising kNowledge on its West Lafayette, Indiana campus on Saturday, December 6.

PATHOGEN will be an event using timed rounds, NAQT Invitational Series questions (including power marks) and NAQT rules, but will be a CUT-STYLE EVENT. As such, the rules for team formation are these (per the NAQT website):
Individuals ineligible to play in Division II at the SCTs may play only as part of a two-person team or as a solo team.

Individuals who have answered an average of 2.5 tossups per game played or better in any past NAQT ICT in Division I may play only as a solo team.

(The statistic to determine eligibility is based only on tossups credited, regardless of interrupts. Thus a person playing 16 games in a past ICT in Division I must play solo if he or she correctly answered 40 or more tossups in that ICT. A person playing 15 games in a past ICT in Division I must play solo at CUT if he or she had 38 or more tossups to his or her credit.

Undergraduates whose first intercollegiate academic quiz competition as part of a college team came during the current season may play on teams of up to four players.

Undergraduates eligible for Division II play whose school did not earn an invitation to the NAQT ICT in either Division I or II in the past two years may play on teams of up to four players, whether they are in their first year of intercollegiate competition or not.

Undergraduates not in their first year of intercollegiate academic competition, whose school did earn an invitation to the NAQT ICT in either division in the past two years, may not play on teams of more than two players.

PLEASE NOTE: this is *not* an "open" tournament. All players must be enrolled at a post-secondary institution of some kind AND conform to the above rules.

Schools are encouraged to bring teams of multiple formations. If there are enough teams, we will try to sequester teams of similar experience/ability into their own divisions. But CUT-style events are designed to level the playing field somewhat and all teams may play in the same bracket if the field is small.

Schools may bring as many teams as they like, in whatever formation fits the above rules, and will be charged $25 PER PLAYER. There will, of course, be discounts (which will be applied to each *school's* bill, not each *team's* -- so each school is only eligible for one total travel discount and one discount per moderator brought, for instance). The fee schedule is as follows:

BASE PRICE: $25 PER PLAYER

Experienced Moderator (-$15)

Buzzer (-$5 for each buzzer used)

Schools traveling more than 200 miles (one-way, per Google maps): (-$25 -- the equivalent of one free player!)

Schools registering before 12 pm ET, Nov. 15 (-$5)

We will work to make sure as many teams as possible are credited with discounts. We will be happy to send electronic invoices in advance of the tournament, or will accept pay when you arrive on December 6. Teams may not play without having paid in full. For your money, Purdue will provide morning snacks on the day of the tourney and awards to the top teams and individuals.

This is a great opportunity to get back into the swing of playing a timed tournament before the NAQT SCTs in February. We hope you'll join us in West Lafayette!

Questions or tournament registration notices should be sent to Tournament Director Stan Jastrzebski at stan.jastrzebski@gmail.com. When registering, please indicate team makeup (we'll need to know *at least* how many people are on each team and players' names, if possible. Players' names may be sent separately if necessary, but we'd really appreciate having them before Nov. 29)
Stan Jastrzebski
News Director, WBAA Public Radio
Staff Advisor, Purdue University Quiz Bowl Team

Cheynem
Sin

Re: PATHOGEN at Purdue, December 6

Post by Cheynem » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:53 pm

So this is a college tournament on high school questions that is timed?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:56 pm

Hey DePauw guy, it's not 2002 any more, no self-respecting college team wants to play a timed tournament on high school questions. Thanks.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:59 pm

To expand on Rob's point:

1. It is not good to mirror a high school tournament because many college students may have written for it (or I guess played it, depending on what set you're using).

2. Timed format is shaky enough at SCT and ICT and probably not a good idea for a new program/tournament that may have staffing issues.

3. There are plenty of good college tournaments that can be mirrored. Using a HS tournament and a timed format are not good solutions.

I'm glad to see Purdue is active and hope a more appropriate tournament/question set can be found.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger

Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Just in case teams in the Midwest (who haven't played the set at Northwestern on 11/22) are itching to play quizbowl in early December, WKU is hosting a DEES mirror on December 7. Unlike the tournament announced in this thread, our tournament will use actual college questions and won't be on the clock.
Nick Conder
Louisville, KY

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."--Eugene V. Debs

stanjast
Lulu

Post by stanjast » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:47 pm

Nice to see some old traditions (like bad-mouthing people you've never met on internet message boards) haven't died in the time I was away from the circuit.

How about this: instead of just complaining, offer a real solution. Do you have a tourney you think we should mirror instead? Tell us what it is (or, better still, offer it up). This is much more constructive than flaming me, the team (and its players, who you ALSO haven't met, but are a much more courteous group than I've encountered at most programs) and NAQT.

I'm (we're) open to discussion, but for the love of whatever deity you recognize, just be nice.

Sincerely,
An old guy who's trying not to be (too) crotchety

User was reminded to enable a signature. -mgmt

For lack of the ability to warn a second time, user is reminded here not to tell other people how to post or otherwise complain about his bad ideas being called bad by people who know better. Board moderation is reserved for the board moderators. --also the mgmt
Stan Jastrzebski

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:17 pm

This is not a good debut for you here. Please consult the board rules, and also consult the evolution of quizbowl over the last 12 years.

I would suggest the DEES tournament (http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=16257), which is being run around that time. It already has sites at Northwestern and Western Kentucky, but whoever was going to play the above thing would probably come. You might also do better by using the IS set to run a high school tournament (not on the clock, which is pointless and will lead to disaster unless you have very experienced readers) and then bidding for a college event such as ACF Regionals in the spring, since there are fewer sites already determined.

Please feel free to use this thread or a new one on the board to solicit any advice you need on running tournaments to contemporary standards.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

Milhouse
Rikku

Post by Milhouse » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:19 pm

It would appear that there is already a DEES mirror in Missouri, so I don't think that that would be the best idea. However, a brief search reveals no ICCS Mirror in your immediate area, though I do not know if it would be frowned upon to have a mirror in December, considering many sites have already occurred and the latest is on October 25th. There are eligibility restrictions on ICCS, but I doubt that anyone who is ineligible would want to play on High School questions, even solo.

Edit: For the record, I'm and idiot who doesn't know the relative location of anything with respect to anything else.
Last edited by Milhouse on Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Writer, NAQT

Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:33 pm

Sorry to be harsh--I just wanted to quickly get across how bad and unwelcome an idea running a college tournament on an IS set is in the current quizbowl climate. I'm glad you're open to suggestions for improvement; a small DEES mirror or a delayed ICCS mirror, as others have suggested, would probably be a better idea if you're looking to run an early-December college tournament. An even better idea is what Matt suggested: waiting until January and bidding for an ACF Regionals mirror. Outdated tournament ideas aside, I do think everyone here is interested in helping Purdue (and all new schools) become an active circuit participant.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:49 pm

You're not likely to draw much of a college field if you plan to use high school questions, and you've acted way too late to get a chance at mirroring most college sets. Hosting a mirror of ICCS or Delta Burke would be a better product for the audience you're trying to reach, and seems to be your best option for hosting a college event this semester.

If you want to host a high school tournament, that would be substantially more profitable for your team. I would actually recommend that instead of a college tournament, especially if you're locked into hosting on December 6. Hosting a college tournament in the spring is obviously quite possible, and I know you've bid to host SCT. Running a high quality tournament for high school teams, or a small tournament on real college questions, will inspire confidence in the community that would make it more likely for you to be trusted with an important event like SCT or ACF Regs. Running a college tournament on high school questions and on the clock will not do that.
Nick Conder
Louisville, KY

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."--Eugene V. Debs

Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Welcome to Indiana Quiz Bowl!

On 12/6, if you switch it to be a high school tournament, you'll run into direct competition with the Brownsburg High School tournament run on Chip questions.

(Check the current dates on www.inqblots.org.)
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:05 pm

Ben Dillon wrote:On 12/6, if you switch it to be a high school tournament, you'll run into direct competition with the Brownsburg High School tournament run on Chip questions.
Having the courage to offer a superior alternative to a Chip tournament seems like something Stan could do to dramatically win the esteem of the good quizbowl community.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org

Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:59 pm

SinceDelta Burke has been confirmed, it looks like the best option for hosting an early December collegiate tournament and attracting a good-sized field that fits the type of teams/players you're looking for, as it's written with less-experienced players in mind.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10

stanjast
Lulu

Post by stanjast » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:25 pm

This is an interesting suggestion, Jasper. Thanks for the constructive input.
Stan Jastrzebski

Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Running Delta Burke would be a great idea.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:57 am

Indeed, I'd be happy for Purdue to use the DB set. However, as I informed Stan, Peter Rodski of Jefferson County CC in Louisville is hosting his (now usual) mirror on November 15. I'm told Louisville is three-ish hours away from Purdue, so obviously there could be some overlap in the schools that might attend, even though Jefferson's mirror is CC-centric. In any case, I think it could work to have mirrors in both sites, as one hopes Purdue would draw more from west and north of West Lafayette, while Jefferson would draw more CCs and from the south and east.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah

Guile Island
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Guile Island » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:21 am

I could probably get some people from Northwestern interested in coming to this if you switched to Delta Burke.
Dylan Minarik
PACE (Former Director of Communications, 2018-19 season)

Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer

Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:04 pm

There's also a strong possibility I'd come play this if it were switched to Delta Burke.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo