ACF Regionals at Stanford (January 24, 2015)

Old college threads.
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

ACF Regionals at Stanford (January 24, 2015)

Post by Galadedrid Damodred »

Stanford University will host the California mirror of ACF Regionals on January 24, 2015. I, Austin Brownlow, will be the tournament director. For general information about 2015 ACF Regionals, including packet submission guidelines and the qualification system for ACF Nationals, please refer to the global announcement thread.

Registration
There is a two-step registration process for this tournament. First, fill out the central ACF registration form. Second, post in this thread or send an email to me with the following information: number of teams, buzzers, and staffers, plus whether each team is D2 or UG eligible. My email address is acb13 [AT] stanford [DOT] edu. Just posting in this thread does not officially register you for ACF Regionals!

If you can provide team members' names when you register, I would greatly appreciate it, but either way, I will send an email in January to each team contact asking for official rosters. This will enable me to enter player names into SQBS before the day of the tournament, thereby reducing the leadtime for compiling statistics.

Fees (copied from global announcement)
Base fee: $120 for one team from a school, $240 for two teams from a school, etc.
Buzzer systems*: -$5 each
Staffers: -$10 each No maximum.
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
International**: -$20
New to ACF teams***: -$25
New quizbowl teams****: -$75

* No discount for broken buzzers; no maximum.
** For teams representing schools located in a different country than the tournament host.
*** For schools which haven't played an ACF tournament between September 2012 and August 2014; having anyone on your team(s) who has played an ACF tournament prior to the 2014-15 competition year invalidates this discount.
**** For schools which did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament since September 2012; having anyone on your team(s) who has played a regular collegiate quizbowl tournament prior to the 2014-15 competition year invalidates this discount. May be combined with new ACF team discount for a total new-team discount of $100.

[The laptop discount has been eliminated. Staffers are expected either to bring a device with them which is capable of displaying Word documents and PDFs, unless they get explicit confirmation from hosts that the site they are attending will be using printed paper packets.]

As with other ACF tournaments, payment will be centralized. Teams will pay their entry fee directly to ACF prior to playing the tournament, and ACF will pay host fees out thereafter. For more questions about payment, contact ACF treasurer Jerry Vinokurov.

Logistics
This tournament will take place in the Old Union building. Due to room availability, there is a field cap of 16. Registration will open at 8:15 AM and the first round will start at 9 AM sharp; please aim to arrive by 8:45 AM. A week before the tournament, I will send out a more detailed email with a full schedule to all registered teams.

Resources
Searchable campus map
Hotels - I do not recommend staying in Palo Alto; you will almost certainly find cheaper rooms in Mountain View or Sunnyvale. I suggest you take a look at the cluster of hotels off exit 396 of Route 101, which was the best nearby-but-not-super-expensive option I found after browsing Google Maps for a little while.
Parking - You may park for free after 4 PM on Friday and anytime over the weekend in campus parking areas marked 'A' or 'C'. I recommend parking at or near the Oval on Palm Drive and walking down Lasuen Mall (the left side of the main quad) to White Plaza, where Old Union will be on the right.
Food - The Axe & Palm is on the first floor of Old Union and serves burgers and salads. Also in White Plaza, Tresidder has Subway, Jamba Juice, and CoHo (the latter being a sit-down restaurant that is a bit pricier than the other options), and the bookstore has a cafe on the second floor.

If you have any questions, please email ACF at acfregionals2015 [AT] gmail [DOT] com or myself at acb13 [AT] stanford [DOT] edu. See you in January!

Field (Current as of January 19) (CLOSED)
Stanford B
Stanford C
Berkeley A (UG)
Berkeley B (UG)
Berkeley C
Berkeley D (UG, D2)
UCLA (UG, D2)
Washington
UCSD A
UCSD B (UG, D2)
Bellarmine HS (UG)
California Crosspoint HS (UG)
Saratoga HS (UG)
Guilder HS (UG)

Total: 14 (9 UG, 3 D2)
Last edited by Galadedrid Damodred on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:46 am, edited 15 times in total.
Austin Brownlow
Louisville '14, Stanford '16
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Re: ACF Regionals at Stanford (January 24, 2015)

The ACF Regionals registration form is now live and is linked in the OP.
Austin Brownlow
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

The registered field for this tournament is available at this link.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

There are currently 12 teams officially registered for this tournament and 2 more (UCSD B and Arcadia HS) that I have heard will be attending, but have not filled out the ACF form. If you're one of those teams, please register by MLK. I am waiting to get confirmation of an additional staffer; if you're in the Bay Area and might be available to staff this tournament if that person can't make it, please message or email me. Thanks to everyone who has signed up for what will surely be a great day for West Coast quizbowl - I did some digging through the database, and the last regular college tournament with 14 teams that I could find was 2004 Cardinal Classic!

UPDATE 1/16: Arcadia is not coming. That means the current field size is 13, which is a cumbersome number for scheduling, so I'd love to see another team sign up!

UPDATE 1/19: Guilder HS registered a team. I am closing the field at 14 teams and sending out another logistics email soon.
Austin Brownlow
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Congratulations to UCSD A, who won the overall title by defeating Stanford B in a one game final. Berkeley A won the Undergraduate title by defeating Bellarmine in a one game final. UCLA won the D2 title outright. UCSD B defeated Berkeley D in a one game playoff for 2nd place D2. Stats will be up sometime tomorrow. Many thanks to staffers Stephen Liu, Nikhil Desai, Chris Fleitas, Terry Drinkwater, Samira Irfan, Sandy Huang, and Eric Smith.
Austin Brownlow
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

A big thanks to Stanford for hosting, a great job to the editors for their great set, and congrats to UCSD A!
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
Galadedrid Damodred
Wakka

Stats are up. Please let me know if you think you see an error somewhere. Note that the final standings are derived from the "Placement Matches" report, not the "All Matches" report. For example, Stanford B is ranked behind Berkeley A in the "All Matches" report because they have more total losses. However, Stanford B finished ahead of Berkeley A in the final standings because their prelim loss to Berkeley A did not carry over to the playoffs, where they went 5-1 while Berkeley A went 4-2.

Prelim Matches
Placement Matches
All Matches
Austin Brownlow