Tony Parker Open Announcement

Old college threads.
mrsmiley4
Lulu

Tony Parker Open Announcement

Post by mrsmiley4 »

My apologies for the short notice on this post.

The Maryland Academic Quiz Team is pleased to announce the Tony Parker Open, a mirror of the Manu Ginobili Open (pending me hearing back from Ezequiel Berdichevsky), to be held March 26, 2005 in beautiful(?) College Park. As with the original Chicago-Umich event, this will be a modified ACF tournament with questions by M. Berdichevsky and Leo Wolpert, and all are welcome to come and compete.

Fees have yet to be determined, as I still have to talk to Sandeep and/or Dan about such things, but I imagine that the final cost will end up being at or less than the $80 charged for the Manu Ginobili tournament. There will also be discounts for buzzers/distance/small teams/etc. I will reply to this post when fees are actually available.

For questions/comments/registration/slurs against the French*, please shoot me an email at bhouston at umd dot edu. We hope to see you on the 26th!

Cheers,
Brad Houston
TD/Official Figurehead for Tony Parker Open

*Only nothing about "surrender monkeys", please. There's so much else about which to make fun of the French, I hate to see creative talent being siphoned into this one meme :)
mrsmiley4
Lulu

Post by mrsmiley4 »

Upon further consultation, it has been determined that the base fee will in fact be $80. Of course, as noted there will be discounts for buzzers and the like. Basically, if the financial issue is a problem, email me and we can work something out.

Brad
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Is there a discount for a good, Frenchie au-au *throat clear* team name?
mrsmiley4
Lulu

Post by mrsmiley4 »

Bien Sur! Monsieur Parker would approve of such a discount, I feel. Amount, as with all other discount amounts, to be announced later.
Leo Wolpert
Wakka

Post by Leo Wolpert »

I just want to give everyone in this thread a heads up. These questions are tough. Really tough. Tougher than last year's Chicago Open or ACF Nationals, in my estimation. Almost all of the tossups are gettable (or guessable) by the giveaway for good, experienced teams, but most of them also have at least 6 (often more) lines of clues that require real, hardcore knowledge to buzz off of. A good team will be able to get 10 points on most bonuses fairly easily, but you must have pretty deep knowledge of the subject if you expect to get 20 or 30 points.

So, basically, if you are not prepared to play several rounds of very long, very challenging academic questions, you will likely not enjoy this set. Consider yourselves warned.
mrsmiley4
Lulu

Post by mrsmiley4 »

Hi all,

My apologies again for not getting this out here until today. The Fee/Discount structure for the Tony Parker Open this Saturday will be as follows:

Base Fee: $80
Buzzer: -$10 (limit 1 per team)
Travel discount (>300 miles by Mapquest): -$10
Small team discount (1 or 2 players): -$10
Suitably "French" team name (TD's discretion): -$5

Due to financial constraints, we ask that you take EITHER the travel discount or the small team discount but not both.

Remember, to register or for any questions please email me at bhouston at umd dot edu. See you on Saturday!

Cheers,
Brad, who is going to try to keep the tournament running in a more timely manner than he is posting the announcements
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

I'm trying this as an experiment more than anything, but assuming I don't get distracted by purchasing Buffett tickets or falling asleep, I'm going to attempt to run "real-time" stats on the web.

See http://www.studentorg.umd.edu/maqt/0405/2005tonyparker/ for the stats, once things get rolling. We're still waiting for a team to arrive.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Looks to be working well. Cool beans.
Also, those questions really were hard, I guess.

MaS