NAQT SCT at Georgia Tech (2/7/15)

Old college threads.
adamsil
Wakka

NAQT SCT at Georgia Tech (2/7/15)

Post by adamsil »

Hi all,

You are invited to the Southeast mirror of the NAQT SCT, which Georgia Tech will be hosting on its Atlanta, GA campus on February 7, 2015.

This event will be held in two adjacent buildings--Howey Physics and Ford Environmental Science & Technology, which are located near the intersection of Ferst Drive and Atlantic Street on Georgia Tech's campus. More info about parking will be provided at a later date. We will be starting play at 9 AM, and we ask that all teams be present at 8:30 so that we can start the tournament on time. We intend to have separate D1 and D2 fields assuming we get enough teams. This tournament is a qualifier for the NAQT ICT, also in Atlanta at the end of March.

You can register for the tournament here: https://www.naqt.com/registration/regis ... nt_id=6225

Here's a summary of the fees for the tournament:

Base registration: $125/team
New school discount (not attending SCT, ICT, or CCCT last two years): -$20/team
Multiple team discount: -$25.00/team (every team after first)
Buzzer system discount: -$10.00/team (unlimited)
Clock discount: -$5.00/clock (unlimited)
Staff discount: -$30.00/staffer (unlimited, though be reasonable)
Distance traveled: -$10.00/school for more than 200 miles traveled

Email me if you've got any questions at adsilverman at bellsouth dot net. Thanks!

Current Field:

D1

D2
North Greenville
Adam Silverman
Georgia Tech 2012-2016
Northwestern 2016-

cessing
Lulu

Re: NAQT SCT at Georgia Tech (2/7/15)

Post by cessing »

when is the registration deadline?
Chris Essinger
VP of Competition
Clemson Academic Team

adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

Let's say the week before for practical purposes right now, and depending on the field size that may go closer to the date of the tournament. Earlier registration is better, of course!
Adam Silverman
Georgia Tech 2012-2016
Northwestern 2016-

Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

The default is that SCT registration closes on February 2nd (that is: Monday before SCT on Saturday). Hosts are free to keep registration open later if they so choose.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

cessing
Lulu

Post by cessing »

Clemson should be bring 2 D2 teams. Waiting to official register so that we have correct numbers
Chris Essinger
VP of Competition
Clemson Academic Team

adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

Right now we've got 5 DI teams and 12 D2 teams. I've added a house DI team to fill six, since there's no good way to deal with 5 teams, but if there's any teams out there still looking to get in, or any D2 teams that would like to play up, I'd appreciate it if you could switch, since it's easier to field a house D2 team than a house D1 team. I intend to use all of our experienced players for moderators since we've only got about 16 staffers right now.

Another note: this tournament will be held at Skiles, not Ford or Howey. I'll send a final email to teams on Thursday with info about how to get to the new location. If we do stick with 6 and 12, then bracketing will be a cinch.
Adam Silverman
Georgia Tech 2012-2016
Northwestern 2016-

adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

In DI, Georgia Tech ran the board in the double round robin to take first place, and Vanderbilt got second with a 7-3 record. In D2, undefeated UGA A won the first game of an advantaged final over Wofford A. Stats will be up later tonight.

Thanks to all the staffers who came out today to help; the tournament seemed to run pretty quick, despite a room snafu in the morning. Hope to see many of you at ICT.
Adam Silverman
Georgia Tech 2012-2016
Northwestern 2016-

adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

Adam Silverman
Georgia Tech 2012-2016
Northwestern 2016-

Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

We're missing hundreds of bonus points in both games against South Carolina
Nick Conder
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance

Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

Thanks to Georgia Tech gor hosting. Congrats to Georgia Tech and UGA on their respective titles. I did have a question why is Clemson listed as playing 12 games, which is more than teams in the final and tiebreak in DII ?
Matt Church
Univerity of Louisville
Matt Church
University of Louisville

The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

NickConderWKU wrote:We're missing hundreds of bonus points in both games against South Carolina
oh i'm sure they'll fix it
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana '04-'10, '14-'16, '18-'xx
Alabama '10-14
President, University of Louisiana at Lafayette Club for Academic Competition

adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

NickConderWKU wrote:We're missing hundreds of bonus points in both games against South Carolina
I will fix this in the morning.
Church51907 wrote:I did have a question why is Clemson listed as playing 12 games, which is more than teams in the final and tiebreak in DII ?
Clemson played two half-packet tiebreakers, so it got entered as two separate 12-tossup games. I'm not quite sure what the standard protocol is for reporting number of games with half-packets.
Adam Silverman
Georgia Tech 2012-2016
Northwestern 2016-

Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

adamsil wrote:
I will fix this in the morning.
Thanks! I sent you an email with what scores/info I have from those games (which I checked at the end of each game with what I heard from the scorekeepers,) and also another instance involving two other teams where I the staffers from that room told me the score had to have been entered wrong.
Nick Conder
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance

Church51907
Wakka

Post by Church51907 »

Wouldn't the d2 standings go UGA A, Wofford A, Louisville B, UGA B, Charleston, UGA C as 1-6?
Matt Church
U of L
Matt Church
University of Louisville

adamsil
Wakka

Post by adamsil »

Sorry about the delay; somehow half the stats got overwritten, so I had to manually enter Rounds 6-10 again. A few input errors also got fixed.

They're up now, corrected. http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ned_fixed/
Adam Silverman
Georgia Tech 2012-2016
Northwestern 2016-