MUT 2015 Errata

Old college threads.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

MUT 2015 Errata

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

If we screwed something up, please let us know. There are, I think, one or two clue repeats in the first run of the set that we've already caught.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Re: Errata

Post by Muriel Axon »

Dillon Edwards from Michigan State has written to me about the van Gogh repeat (with "A Pair of Shoes"), so I'll be fixing that shortly.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

While not a factual error, there was a packet with some bad quizbowl feng shui. One round had a history TU, a current events TU, a lit bonus, and a fine arts music bonus on Mexico.
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

The biggest mess-up (and the only real editor "mistake" mentioned in this post) was that the tossup on George Clooney repeated (it was TU 10 in Packet 6 and TU 11 in Packet 7). This was "fixed" by moderators reading the tiebreaker TU instead.

While playing the tournament, there was an awkward moment when I wasn't prompted on "reduction" for the "hydrogenation" tossup, but that was resolved thanks to Michigan State's cooperation. As has already been mentioned, Mexico showed up as the answerline to two TUs (both history - unless one was CE, which was troublesome) and two bonus parts (one lit, one music), all within the same packet (Packet 10). Packet 7 had a significantly milder India-bias with a TU on the Taj Mahal, Punjab-Haryana clues in the Le Corbusier TU and a bonus on Hindu religions (admittedly only a slight tilt towards India, but it did get me 2 powers and a 30 on a bonus).

I was mildly thrown off by the bonus in Packet 7 referring to the mole fraction as being represented with "x-sub-i", as we use "chi" to represent the mole fraction in India, but it appears that "x" is more common.
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yes, one of the two Mexico tossups was CE, which is obviously still non-ideal and will be changed.

Amusingly, that packet also has tossups on "Zurich" and "Switzerland."
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

The Nepal bonus in round 2 did not tell the moderator to not reveal the full answer to the first part, so the second part was rather easy.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

A very minor typo, but the question on France (Round 9, TU 11) is missing a quotation mark after the word "flower." The clue currently reads:
Round 9, TU 11 wrote: Recurring “statue,” “flower, and “love” themes...
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

Hidehiro Anto wrote:The Nepal bonus in round 2 did not tell the moderator to not reveal the full answer to the first part, so the second part was rather easy.
This was also done at the Waterloo site, and resulted in a very confused Adam Swift.
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
coldstonesteveaustin
Wakka

Post by coldstonesteveaustin »

Hidehiro Anto wrote:The Nepal bonus in round 2 did not tell the moderator to not reveal the full answer to the first part, so the second part was rather easy.
Ditto for the Ludwig II of Bavaria/Bavaria/Neuschwanstein Castle bonus in round 1.
Hidehiro Anto
Menlo School '14
UCLA '18

"Those who cannot remember 'Black Magic Woman' are condemned to repeat it." - Carlos Santayana
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Hidehiro Anto wrote:
Ditto for the Ludwig II of Bavaria/Bavaria/Neuschwanstein Castle bonus in round 1.
Sorry about that. I wrote both of these bonuses and didn't really think about putting warnings I guess. Thanks for letting us know.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

I only heard packets 1-6, but I think two of those (either in the same or consecutive packets) clued Dave Brubeck, which felt a little weird. There was a lot of jazz in general in the half-ish that I heard.

Definitely not a "feng shui" issue or whatever, but I wanted to mention that I chuckled a little bit that "USA" and "water" were tossed up in such close proximity, because those are the things that people usually buzz in saying "is this just [thing]?"
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

I wrote the Oye Como Va / drums / Gillespie bonus. I didn't notice the overlap until I staffed the tournament on Saturday. You're right that it was a little strange to have those two in adjacent packets. I would have altered my bonus had I noticed it before the first mirrors, but I'm comfortable with that small degree of overlap. The mention of Joe Morello was a minor part of the "drums" bonus part, and Morello was not mentioned at all in the Brubeck bonus. I don't think you could use my bonus to gain an advantage in the other one.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I sent Rob a list of editing issues (missing words, typographically misplaced information, extra words) I noticed while reading. At risk of scolding, I was just surprised there were so many after the set had been read at (at least?) one site. Am I the only person who marks such issues as I read? I know that doesn't mean we'll catch them all, but it's nice to note them for later fixing.

But again, great questions and question ideas!
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

We almost lost to Harvard B because I was confused into negging the Das Kapital tossup early with The Communist Manifesto (which is sometimes weirdly described a book as well) because, if I recall correctly, Das Kapital had been mentioned the previous round in a bonus part on Marx. My thinking was obviously poor here but this seems extremely suboptimal.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Yeah, looks like Das Kapital was mentioned in a history bonus part on Marx in round 2 and was a tossup in round 3. Nothing from the tossup other than the title was mentioned in the bonus part, and there's no ambiguity in the clues of the tossup, but you're right that it's suboptimal (and easily fixed).
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Emperor Pupienus
Wakka

Post by Emperor Pupienus »

In similar vein to Will Alston, I almost lost a game because I negged the question on the "Adams" family on a Quincy Adams clue because Quincy Adams had already been an answerline for a bonus. In fact, the clue for the tossup (coffin handbills) and for the bonus (Tariff of 1828) are both from the same year of his presidency! It was still an extremely idiotic neg in retrospect, but at game speed when you're panicking because you've already heard what you think is the answer, it is very easy to mess up.
Jason Z.
Nichols School '14
University of Chicago '18

Food or not food?
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm sympathetic to this but I also am unsure how big a problem it was--those questions were spaced out (packets one and eight) and did not overlap clues. In retrospect, I probably could have taken out the "Coffin Handbills" clue as pretty much everything about JQA in that tossup is about his non presidential doings. Particularly in easier tournaments, though, I think you're going to have some answerlines repeat a little. In this case, I could certainly have made it a little less explicitly a repeat.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Emperor Pupienus
Wakka

Post by Emperor Pupienus »

Cheynem wrote:I'm sympathetic to this but I also am unsure how big a problem it was--those questions were spaced out (packets one and eight) and did not overlap clues. In retrospect, I probably could have taken out the "Coffin Handbills" clue as pretty much everything about JQA in that tossup is about his non presidential doings. Particularly in easier tournaments, though, I think you're going to have some answerlines repeat a little. In this case, I could certainly have made it a little less explicitly a repeat.
Yeah the repeat does not remove the idiocy of my neg, and you are certainly right that I should not use answerlines too strongly to rule out answers in easier tournaments. I just think it is a bit suboptimal.
Jason Z.
Nichols School '14
University of Chicago '18

Food or not food?
Bloodwych
Wakka

Post by Bloodwych »

The question on Old French mentioned that it was performed by "troubadours," which isn't true. Trouveres wrote poetry in Old French.
🚿
Quince Orchard HS '11
Maryland - College Park '15

Well, you built up a world of magic
Because your real life is tragic
Yeah, you built up a world of magic