ACF Fall UK 2015 at Warwick

Old college threads.
Ben Salter
Lulu

ACF Fall UK 2015 at Warwick

Post by Ben Salter »

Hello!

I am pleased to announce the UK site of ACF Fall 2015, to be held at the University of Warwick on Saturday, 7 November 2015. ACF Fall is the year's premier introductory-level collegiate quizbowl tournament, and we do hope that you join us at this event. The tournament will most likely be held in the Social Sciences building, on campus, with registration opening at 9:30am for a 10am start.

Registration
Registration for this event has two steps:
First, please write to us at [email protected] with team name, number, and buzzer/staffer information.
Second, fill out the central ACF Fall registration form at this site with all relevant information.

Fees
Base fee: £80 for one team from a school, £160 for two teams from a school, etc.
Buzzer systems*: -£5 each
Staffers: -£10 each No maximum.
Laptop: -£5 each Maximum 1 per team.
Travel: -£5 per 200 miles travelled one way
International**: -£20
New to ACF teams***: -£15
New quizbowl teams****: -£45

* No discount for broken buzzers; no maximum.
** For teams representing schools located in a different country than the tournament host.
*** For schools which haven't played an ACF tournament between September 2013 and August 2015, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.
**** For schools which did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament since September 2013, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school. May be combined with new ACF team discount for a total new-team discount of £60.

Packet Discounts/Penalties
Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2014 is required to submit a packet. High school players attending high school-only sites are included in this definition and are subject to the same discounts and penalties as college teams.

Half-packet templates will be sent out to your team after you have submitted the registration form. If you have questions on the submission guidelines, email them to [email protected] and they'll clarify.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2015: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

Submission schedule
11.59 PM PST September 13: -£20
11.59 PM PST September 27: -£10 (-£20 if optional)
11.59 PM PST October 11: no penalty (-£10 if optional)
11.59 PM PST October 18: +£15
11.59 PM PST October 25: +£30
After October 25: +£10/day until October 31; teams who are required to submit a packet and do not submit one by November 1 will not be allowed to play.

Payment
Payment for ACF Fall will be processed through the ACF treasurer, Gautam Kandlikar. He will get in touch with you about how much your team owes, how to pay for the tournament, etc. Please contact Gautam with any questions regarding payment.

Note Regarding Highschool Teams
High school teams are no longer allowed to compete in Collegiate ACF Fall events.

For more information, refer to the Global Announcement of ACF Fall 2015 or email the editors at [email protected].
Last edited by Ben Salter on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Salter
Warwick '17
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Re: ACF Fall UK 2015 at Warwick

Post by Senator_Jay »

Packet is submitted, and flight is booked. Looking forward to playing this thing!
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Ben Salter
Lulu

Post by Ben Salter »

So this happened, and ran pretty well (we were 20 minutes ahead of schedule before the finals - madness!)

For the prelims, the teams split into two brackets of 8 and 7 teams. Both Oxford A and Cambridge C cleared their field in their respective brackets.
In the afternoon, a few surprise results necessitated a playoff between Cambridge C and Cambridge A to decide who would face Oxford A in the final. After Cambridge A won that, a final was played, which went down to the last tossup. Oxford A inched past to win 375-330, putting up a tremendous 28 PPB in the process.

Also highly commendable was Jay Misuk, who came all the way from Canada to play, racking up 96.36 PPG and becoming the top scorer of the day.

Stats can be found here:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/

I'd like to applaud Gaurav, Richard and the rest of the ACF crew for putting together an excellent tournament, helping with all of the issues that arose from being on a different continent to all of the other sites, and in general just being very easy to work with. Thanks guys!
Ben Salter
Warwick '17
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Thank you very much to Ben and the rest of the crew at University of Warwick for hosting an awesome tournament! Things seemed to run smoothly, and the competition was very strong. I really appreciate you guys having me at your tournament and making me feel so welcome, and I look forward to perhaps doing something like this again. It was an honour to get to play with and against the people at this site, and I'm glad to note that I have now played a tournament on three continents, as well as been top negger on three different continents. Thanks for that opportunity!
Jay Misuk
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Senator_Jay wrote:...I have now played a tournament on three continents...
You mean "countries," right?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Charbroil wrote:
Senator_Jay wrote:...I have now played a tournament on three continents...
You mean "countries," right?

Why yes, yes I do...whoops!
Jay Misuk