Nash Memorial (sometime after Nats)

Old college threads.
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Nash Memorial (sometime after Nats)

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

Hey everyone. I'm happy to announce the Nash Memorial science side event (Nag's Audit of Scientific Hypotheses if you'd like an acronym), a formal successor to Lederberg 2. I hope to have this run EDIT: sometime in the mid-far future. Right now, I'm handling the Bio and Chem and serving as Head Editor, Jake Sundberg is handling the Math, ?? is handling the Physics, Ophir Lif is likely contributing small amounts to minor science categories, ?? is handling the Earth Science, and we are all sharing the Astro, Other Science, and Trash.
IMPORTANT: We need people who can handle Physics and Computer Science. If you don't mind not playing and have at least some experience writing either or both categories, please email me soon!

There will be 10 packets of 23 powermarked tossups each, as well as a packet of tiebreakers. I'm enforcing a 10-line length cap in 10 pt. TNR, and no tossups will be less than 6 lines, so the average tossup should be slightly above 8 lines. No packet sub.

Difficulty:
We will try to hold tournament's difficulty to "Nationals-minus". In major science categories, there will be 1 hard answerline, 2 medium/Regionals answerlines, and 1 easy answerline per packet. There will most likely be 3 hard, 4 medium, and 3 easy minor science answerlines per packet.

Distribution:
Note that the distribution per packet is slightly different from both Avogadro's Number and Lederberg 2:
4 Biology
4 Chemistry
4 Physics
2 Astronomy
2 Mathematics
2 Computer Science
2 Earth Science
2 Other Science (Philosophy of, History of, and Current Events in Science, as well as Interdisciplinary stuff that doesn't fit well into the above categories)
1 Science-y Trash
23 Total

Cost:
$8/player

Team size:
Teams of 4 sounds like the best idea right now, because this could get interest comparable to Lederberg 2 or Avogadro's Number.

Logistics:
Will save this part for later.
Last edited by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
t-bar
Tidus

Re: Nash Memorial (ICT 2017)

Post by t-bar »

Is this still happening?
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

t-bar wrote:Is this still happening?
I second that question -- I'd be interested in playing this.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

Good evening, folks! Let me start with this: NASH is NOT a dead project. That said, it is delayed for the time being (and definitely beyond ICT).
But! if you would like to join as a CS or ES writer (or even if you want to do some Physics), we'd gladly welcome you! We will see when in the mid-far future we can complete this based on that and other factors.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

My initially planned 22/0 math questions are complete and ready to go. I have committed to writing an additional 25/0 or so, but as a rule I'm limiting myself to topics that I'm more familiar with in the hard sciences, such as classical mechanics, GR, quantum mechanics, maybe stat mech, and the occasional CS and interdisciplinary science questions. This set could use a physics writer who can write over a broad area of topics as well as a CS writer who can do the same.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired