Guerilla Action Packet Tournament

Old college threads.
eliza.grames
Wakka

Guerilla Action Packet Tournament

Post by eliza.grames »

People should write more action tossups because they're delightful, so this is an announcement for a guerrilla action packet tournament. I won't edit anything or even look at it, because I want to embarrass myself by trying to answer your questions. This tournament will be played at (This) Tournament is a Crime in Michigan (in February) and wherever else people want to hear super great action packets.

As much as I prefer pop-culture action tossups, you can write on whatever you want for this set, even if it's academic or photography or whatever. The distribution is ?/0 action tossups, in which the answer must be able to be acted out with minimal use of props. Partner or group tossups are allowed. Send packets to [email protected].

Submitted packets
Eliza

Pledged packets
Rob
Columbia and NYU people
Last edited by eliza.grames on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21
p-vs-vp
Lulu

Re: Guerilla Action Packet Tournament

Post by p-vs-vp »

Wow! I'm so glad Americans have noticed the success of VETO and are beginning to reproduce it stateside!!!
Arjun Sondhi
VP of Public Relations, Leslie's Miscellaneous Treats
University of Washington, 2014-present
University of Waterloo, 2009-2014

"Can you dance like a hippogriff?
Ma ma ma, ma ma ma, ma ma ma"

But I WANT to be stupid!
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I will gladly embarrass myself again at one of these!

I might be searching for a collaborator on a packet, too. Hit me up.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Is this packet available anywhere?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

AKKOLADE wrote:Is this packet available anywhere?
I evidently forgot to leave a date out of the original announcement, but this isn't happening until February.
Eliza Grames
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

How are these written? Do we just write tossups that use "this action" as a pronoun, and the person can buzz in at any time and perform the action? Are these tossups 6 lines long? What do the answer lines look like?
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Was there a previous one of these? What did I play like a packet of at NSC?
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:How are these written?
Much like the editors of Chicago Open, I like to type them in Google Docs.

But seriously, they're quiz bowl questions. You come up with an idea for a question where the answer is something that can be acted out (like charades) and that has unique clues which can be arranged in pyramidal order. Then you find those clues and put them in pyramidal order.
Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:Do we just write tossups that use "this action" as a pronoun, and the person can buzz in at any time and perform the action?
You could also write questions where the pronoun is "this gesture" or "this pronoun" but in general "this action" covers anything that would work as an action tossup.
Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:Are these tossups 6 lines long?
They are if you write them to be 6 lines long. Mine are mostly about 8 lines long but Saul's are more like 6 lines.
Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:What do the answer lines look like?
If it's a specific identifiable action with a clear name (e.g. the Skyhook) then you can just write that and expect moderators to be generally competent people. If it's a common-link or more nebulous answer, then just write it out like you're describing what the person is doing. You could be an overachiever and do both if you really wanted to or if you think moderators are dumb.
AKKOLADE wrote:Was there a previous one of these? What did I play like a packet of at NSC?
Yeah, Saul wrote a photo action packet and Wilton wrote a general action packet.
Eliza Grames
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

eliza.grames wrote:
AKKOLADE wrote:Was there a previous one of these? What did I play like a packet of at NSC?
Yeah, Saul wrote a photo action packet and Wilton wrote a general action packet.
SAUL

WILTON

HELP
Fred Morlan
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

AKKOLADE wrote:
eliza.grames wrote:
SAUL

WILTON

HELP
My packet was about reenacting historical photographs. I read it to staffers twice at NSC; one reading was on Sunday during lunch, and the other was some evening, but I forget if it was Friday or Saturday evening. Aidan read Wilton's packet the same evening I read mine, and as far as I know that was the only time that packet was read.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia