Delta Burke @ McMaster (Nov. 27, 2016)

Old college threads.
Protean
Lulu

Delta Burke @ McMaster (Nov. 27, 2016)

Post by Protean »

McMaster University is pleased to announce that we will be hosting an open mirror of Delta Burke on November 27, 2016 (this is the day after our Terrapin mirror, the announcement for which can be found here). The tournament will likely be held in the McMaster University Student Centre (MUSC). We are planning to start at 9:30am. Try to arrive at 9:00am so we can start in a timely fashion.

Delta Burke is written by Chris Borglum and other quizbowl members at Valencia College. More details about the set can be found here.

Logistics
Cost
$120 per team (Minimum Fee: $40/team)

Discounts
-$5 per set of working buzzers
-$10 per moderator
-$10 per 321.87 km (or 200 miles) traveled one way from your school to McMaster University
-$10 for teams made up of at least one player who is new to quizbowl*

*The player hasn't been involved with any quizbowl tournament before September 1, 2016.

Register by emailing us at [email protected] with pertinent information such as buzzer sets or staffers you (at least tentatively) plan on bringing - you can let us know if things change later.

Thanks, and we hope to see you here!
Raymond Chen
McMaster University, 2017
University of Toronto, 202x
Peter13
Wakka

Re: Delta Burke @ McMaster (Nov. 27, 2016)

Post by Peter13 »

Current Field

Paul K. et al.
Jay et al.
Aayush et al.
Adam et al.
Last edited by Peter13 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Count me in! I don't know who I'll be playing with yet, but assume that I'll be attending.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Copy of email sent to teams.
Hello everyone, and thanks for participating in Delta Burke @ McMaster this year! Below are just a few housekeeping notes about what to expect. If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected].

Our headquarters for Sunday will be in the McMaster University Student Centre, Room 302. Please try to arrive to the campus by 9:00AM (8:45AM if you are bringing buzzers). We are planning to start at 9:30AM, so try and budget your time with that in mind.

Delta Burke is a easier difficulty tournament (i.e. designed to be around NAQT Division II or ACF Fall). You can search for previous tournaments in the hsquizbowl database to find examples of questions from previous sets.

We will have a triple round robin. I have added a schedule that teams should be able to access / print out before the tournament commences. The schedule uses numbers to identify teams, which will be assigned the morning of the tournament.

Lastly, remember to respond to this email as confirmation that you are coming. If anything comes up last minute, please contact me ([email protected]) or this email and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Peter Cordeiro
Peter Cordeiro
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Thanks for hosting both this and Terrapin this weekend! I think we all had a lot of fun charging through the 24 packets, and I feel as though this was a good way to end this semester (quizbowl-wise, at least).
Jay Misuk
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I want to apologize again to Peter for forgetting about his mirror; fortunately I checked my e-mail before a flight Sunday and was able to get a friend to send the packets--in time, I hope.

Meantime, there is a private discussion group for the Delta Burke set, so go request to join it if you'd like to extol the aesthetic virtues of the questions.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Are stats going to be posted for this?
Jay Misuk

Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Senator_Jay wrote:Are stats going to be posted for this?
Yes. They will be posted when I have the time (i.e. should be up by this weekend).
Peter Cordeiro
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Congratulations to Jay and Aayush for winning Delta Burke by clearing the field 12-0! Another congratulations is in order for Aaron on Stars Hollow: The Musical for getting over 63 PPG to be our top scorer! Despite all the little things that put a little bit of a wrench in our plans, things turned remarkably more smooth than I envisaged the morning of the tournament.

Stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/
Peter Cordeiro
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

It's worth noting that the team that went 0-12 at this mirror averaged 15.58 ppb, a number better than 17 of the 24 CC teams that played at Valencia. The other three teams all crested 20 ppb, more than any team at our site.

Just a reminder of how difficult it is for me to manage middle and hard parts to be functional for my tournament (still my main interest when writing the set) as well as for the mirrors.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah