2017 ACF Regionals at Stanford (02/18/17)

Old college threads.
Knot Gneiss
Lulu

2017 ACF Regionals at Stanford (02/18/17)

Post by Knot Gneiss »

I'm pleased to announce that Stanford will be hosting the California mirror of 2017 ACF Regionals on Saturday, February 18. Those who wish to find further information about the tournament can go to the original announcement here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19259

Location and Logistics
I will update this section with information about rooms and start time once those things have been finalized.

Registration and Fees
Registration will be done through a central ACF form. A link will be added when that's available. In addition, send information about buzzers, moderators, and teams to bhhnguyen AT gmail DOT com.

The standard ACF fee schedule applies:
Base fee: $135
Buzzer: -$5/functional system
Staffers: -$10/staffer
Shorthanded fee (teams of 1 or 2 players): $60
New to quizbowl discount: -$100

New to Quizbowl discount is intended for schools which did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (exclusively Novice tournaments do not count) since September 2015, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.

Packet Submission
As noted in the main announcement, you must submit a packet if your team has at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament* (either as a college student or as a high school student) prior to September 1, 2015. Because packet submission is on a per-team basis, your school may register multiple teams, some of which are packet-required and some of which are packet-exempt.

* This includes all ACF tournaments, NAQT Division I or Division II SCT, NAQT ICT, and typical academic invitationals and summer opens count, but does not include trash or "hybrid" tournaments, College Bowl/HCASC, and tournaments played on explicitly designated novice sets.

The submission schedule for this tournament is:
December 11th, 2016: -$50
December 28th, 2016: -$25
January 8th, 2017: +$0
January 22nd, 2017: +$25
February 5th, 2017: +$50
After that, +$10 for each additional day that you're late.
After February 12th, you will be dropped from the tournament, with no exceptions.

Please submit your packet to [email protected]. The actual e-mail with the attached packet should have a subject-line reading: "School + Team Letter (if applicable) PACKET". In order to meet a deadline, you must submit your packet before 11:59pm Pacific Time on that date. Packets should be submitted in Microsoft Word .doc or .docx format.

Field
House
Berkeley x5
UCSD x2
Washington x2
Caltech
UCLA

Total: 12

Hope to see you there.
Last edited by Knot Gneiss on Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Benji Nguyen
LASA
Stanford
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: 2017 ACF Regionals at Stanford (02/18/17)

Post by Mike Bentley »

Cross-posting an announcement about a potential Eyes mirror from the WAO thread:
I'm thinking of hosting an Eyes mirror at this event (possibly over lunch), but I'd like to gauge what the interest is. If it's not hosted now, it could also be done during ACF Regionals.

Put your name down here if you're interested in either of the options: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Looks like Regionals is the preferred date for the Eyes mirror. I'm not 100% sure I'll be there for it, but feel free to run it without me.
Mike Bentley
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Mike Bentley wrote:Looks like Regionals is the preferred date for the Eyes mirror. I'm not 100% sure I'll be there for it, but feel free to run it without me.
Just confirming for everyone attending that we will be running this after the tournament.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Knot Gneiss
Lulu

Post by Knot Gneiss »

I just sent out a logistics email- if your school is playing and did not get one, let me know. Just in case, here are the key details from the email:

The tournament will be held in the McCullough building (476 Lomita Drive). Registration will open at 9:30 am- we ask that teams get there by 9:45 so that we can begin play at 10:00. The nearest parking is probably the Via Ortega Garage. We will be running a full 12-team round robin.

Also, I've updated the field information in the first post (Note: UCSD indicated to me that they will be dropping their C team, which is not reflected in the public spreadsheet).

EDIT: Changed starting time to 10:00 AM to accommodate teams traveling by Caltrain.
Benji Nguyen
LASA
Stanford
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

gyre and gimble wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:Looks like Regionals is the preferred date for the Eyes mirror. I'm not 100% sure I'll be there for it, but feel free to run it without me.
Just confirming for everyone attending that we will be running this after the tournament.
I won't be here to run it. Who should I send the set to?
Mike Bentley
Saltasassi
Lulu

Post by Saltasassi »

Congratulations to Berkeley A for winning the West Coast mirror of ACF Regionals, clearing the field by 2 games to end up with an 11-0 record. Berkeley B came in second at 9-2.

Thank you to all the teams who came out to play this tournament especially to all of our wonderful staff (James Bradbury, Austin Brownlow, Nikhil Desai, Neil Gurram, Niki Peters, Dennis Sun) for making it possible. Props to the members of Stanford A (Stephen, Benji, Nathan) and the other editors who helped produce this set.

Stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4142/

We also ran Eyes after the tournament; those stats can be found in the Eyes announcement thread.
Jennie Yang
Fremd 2015
Stanford 2019 + 2020