NAQT South Central SCT at Western Kentucky: 2/4/17

Old college threads.
mriggle
Lulu

NAQT South Central SCT at Western Kentucky: 2/4/17

Post by mriggle »

I am happy to announce that the NAQT South Central Sectional Tournament will take place on the campus of Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green, Kentucky on Saturday, February 4th, 2017. This tournament is open to all college teams, and is a qualifier for the 2017 ICT, which will take place at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago, Illinois on April 8th, 2017.

Registration is available through NAQT's website at the following link. To determine which division your team(s) are eligible for, please consult NAQT's eligibility rules.

Fees and discounts are available here.

The minimum fee per team will be $40 (or $25 for new schools). Please pay us on the morning of the tournament rather than mailing a check in advance. We will accept either cash or check (please make your check out to "WKU Academic Competition Club").

The specific location on campus for this tournament has not been finalized, but it will almost certainly take place in Cherry Hall (which is the standard location for WKU-hosted quizbowl tournaments). Further information will be provided in this thread as soon as it is available, and teams will be notified well in advance of the tournament date.

We expect the opening meeting to take place around 8:45 AM (central time), with round 1 beginning no later than 9. Since SCT is a timed tournament, we should be able to run a tight and efficient schedule throughout the day.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by email ([email protected]). We look forward to seeing everyone on the Hill in a month!
Matthew Riggle
Pope John Paul II Catholic High School (Huntsville, Alabama): 2008-2012
Western Kentucky University: 2012-present
mriggle
Lulu

Re: NAQT South Central SCT at Western Kentucky: 2/4/17

Post by mriggle »

I just sent the following as an email to all registered teams, but I'll crosspost it here:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello everyone,

If you're receiving this email, it means that you have registered for our SCT site at Western Kentucky this Saturday, February 4th. This email will contain all of the information for Saturday's tournament.

The tournament will take place in Cherry Hall, which is the usual location for WKU quizbowl tournaments if you've attended one before. If not, there is a large statue of Henry Hardin Cherry in front of the building, so it should be fairly easy to find. If you need one, a good campus map can be found at this link: https://www.wku.edu/campusmap.php

If you do not wish to be towed/ticketed/booted/etc., then please park in the College Hill Lot, which also happens to be located directly across the street from the building. Since this is the era of GPS, using the following address will get you very close to where you need to be: 1450 College Street, Bowling Green, KY.

Registration will take place between 8:00 and 8:45 AM, so please arrive within that interval of time. We would like to begin round 1 no later than 9:00 AM, but ideally sooner than that if possible. Please note that Bowling Green is located in the Central Time Zone, so plan your schedules accordingly. All times listed in this email are in CST.

Because this tournament is timed, we should be able to run a tight and efficient schedule. Unless something drastic happens in the next 48 hours, we should be running some form of a round-robin schedule, so since there will be no rebracketing needed, we'll break for lunch after whichever round makes the most sense to do so (and hopefully after at least round 6). We have a variety of nearby food options both on and off campus, and if you're not sure where to go, we'll help you on Saturday. :) Since this is a common question, please note that on Saturday, there are no open coffee shops very close to Cherry, so if that's your sort of thing, please take that into account.

It's difficult for me to predict when we'll end, but the tournament should last about 11 rounds, plus perhaps finals/tiebreakers. Games are two, ten-minute halves, and the lunch break will be roughly an hour long, so...you can do the math. I'm hoping we'll be finished around 4 PM.

Finally, if anyone needs a way to contact me between now and the tournament, please call or text me at [redacted].

I think this covers everything, but if I've missed something, please let me know! We're looking forward to having everyone!

Thanks,
Matthew Riggle
Matthew Riggle
mriggle
Lulu

Re: NAQT South Central SCT at Western Kentucky: 2/4/17

Post by mriggle »

Quick summary: Louisville A went undefeated at 9-0 to win Division I, and Kentucky B won the first game of an advantaged final over Vanderbilt A to go 10-0 and win Division II.

Stats have been submitted to NAQT, and should be available soon at the following link: click here

Thanks to everyone who came today (teams and staffers alike) - we had fun, and I hope that you all did as well!
Matthew Riggle