2017 WAO: Religion and Other Academic

Old college threads.
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

2017 WAO: Religion and Other Academic

Post by 1.82 »

The categories I edited were religion and other academic (including geography and current events). In general my goal was to give people the tournament they submitted, with the exception that way too many people submitted questions on African geography for that to work. This was my first time editing a tournament, so I'd welcome any feedback.

With regard to religion, my upbringing was (to abuse Geertz) santri rather than abangan, and I tended to write questions that reflected that and discussed holy texts and orthodox religious laws at the expense of ethnography. In particular, with regard to the Islam distribution, I wrote questions on the foundational Islamic concepts that I was taught when I was young; one example of that is the bonus I wrote on Surah al-Fīl, which was the product of my being confused that quizbowl asks so much about the long surahs at the beginning of the Qur'an and not about the short surahs at the end of the Qur'an that Muslims commit to memory and recite during prayer. I tried to do this also with other religions, but I can't say for sure whether I succeeded in that task.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
otsasonr
Lulu

Re: 2017 WAO: Religion and Other Academic

Post by otsasonr »

Editors 2 gives the name of Ted Kaczynski's classic treatise as Industrial Society and its Freedom, instead of its proper title Industrial Society and its Future. I'm assuming this was Other Academic, but I may be wrong.
Rein Otsason
University of Toronto BASc 1T6 + PEY
University of Toronto MASc 2T0
University of Toronto PhD 2T?
Rikku

Post by 1.82 »

otsasonr wrote:Editors 2 gives the name of Ted Kaczynski's classic treatise as Industrial Society and its Freedom, instead of its proper title Industrial Society and its Future. I'm assuming this was Other Academic, but I may be wrong.
That was classified under Myth/Other Thought, but it has regardless been fixed.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth
Wakka

Post by Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth »

The tossup on the Islamic call to prayer featured a clue mentioning the addition of a phrase by Shia Muslims concerning Ali. That phrase is specifically added to the call to prayer as part of the Shahada, so an anti-prompt on "Shahada" would have been nice.

The tossup on sausage, which I assume was Geography or Other, did not accept or prompt on "bologna" despite including a clue on Lebanon bologna. That particularly pissed me off since it ended up costing my team the game. I'm fairly certain it is common practice in common link questions to accept any specific examples being clued, so why not here?
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

Adelaide Glaciarium wrote:The tossup on sausage, which I assume was Geography or Other, did not accept or prompt on "bologna" despite including a clue on Lebanon bologna.
The answerline actually said to accept specific types of sausage, so that's down to moderator error.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
Rikku

Post by 1.82 »

Adelaide Glaciarium wrote:The tossup on the Islamic call to prayer featured a clue mentioning the addition of a phrase by Shia Muslims concerning Ali. That phrase is specifically added to the call to prayer as part of the Shahada, so an anti-prompt on "Shahada" would have been nice.
My apologies: this was just a result of my not being properly aware of Shia practice. The clue has been edited so that it no longer applies to the shahada.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Short-beaked echidna wrote:
Adelaide Glaciarium wrote:The tossup on sausage, which I assume was Geography or Other, did not accept or prompt on "bologna" despite including a clue on Lebanon bologna.
The answerline actually said to accept specific types of sausage, so that's down to moderator error.
As a very enlightened vegetarian, I did not know until reading your post that bologna is a kind of sausage. (I was not the moderator, though.)
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Muriel Axon wrote:
As a very enlightened vegetarian, I did not know until reading your post that bologna is a kind of sausage. (I was not the moderator, though.)
Not to be overly picky here, but as someone who was a moderator and also a vegetarian (but surely less enlightened than Shan), I also would not have known that.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

Aaron's Rod wrote:
Muriel Axon wrote:
Not to be overly picky here, but as someone who was a moderator and also a vegetarian (but surely less enlightened than Shan), I also would not have known that.
Discussion elsewhere reveals this is a widespread knowledge gap, so it would perhaps be best for bologna to be added to the answerline. In the specific game case, though, the player should have protested and been given points.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

Our Lady Peace wrote:
Adelaide Glaciarium wrote:The tossup on the Islamic call to prayer featured a clue mentioning the addition of a phrase by Shia Muslims concerning Ali. That phrase is specifically added to the call to prayer as part of the Shahada, so an anti-prompt on "Shahada" would have been nice.
My apologies: this was just a result of my not being properly aware of Shia practice. The clue has been edited so that it no longer applies to the shahada.
Can someone post this tossup in its entirety? I ended up negging this with "Shahada," and I'm still not sure what exactly I understood wrong about the clues. I may just not have been paying very good attention, but it still sounded a lot like the Shahada.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing the religion sub-distribution. This may be simply a result of the packets played at the Virginia site, but I feel as though there was not a lot of Judeo-Christian content and especially not many clues taken from the Bible.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
Rikku

Post by 1.82 »

wcheng wrote:
Our Lady Peace wrote:
Can someone post this tossup in its entirety? I ended up negging this with "Shahada," and I'm still not sure what exactly I understood wrong about the clues. I may just not have been paying very good attention, but it still sounded a lot like the Shahada.
This is my fault. When I changed the question in the document listing the religion questions, I failed to update the document with the actual packet that was sent out to the site. I'm sorry about that. Here is the tossup in edited form:
The first person to regularly recite this statement was criticized for his inability to pronounce the "sh" sound in this statement. Atatürk unsuccessfully attempted to mandate that this statement be made in Turkish. This statement is followed by the iqama, which has slightly different wording. In the middle of this statement, its Shia version adds a line stating that Ali is the successor of Muhammad. The first person employed to make this statement was an Ethiopian slave, (*) Bilal ibn Ribah. When this statement is made in the morning, it includes a line declaring that a certain activity is "better than sleep." This statement, which is often broadcast through loudspeakers, is made by an individual facing the qibla five times a day. For 10 points, name this statement made by muezzins from the minarets of mosques to get Muslims to worship.
ANSWER: adhān [accept call to prayer]
wcheng wrote:Also, I'd be interested in seeing the religion sub-distribution. This may be simply a result of the packets played at the Virginia site, but I feel as though there was not a lot of Judeo-Christian content and especially not many clues taken from the Bible.
Christianity (5/4): fasting, successor to Joseph Smith, Mary, Ascension of Jesus, Nicaea, Gene Robinson/Anglican Church/mainline, annihilationism/Harrowing of Hell/baptism, Barbara/George/Catherine, blackness/The Cross and the Lynching Tree/Karl Barth
Judaism (2/2): marriage, Nebuchadnezzar, foreskins/mohel/Genesis, Shabbat Shuvah/Egypt/Psalms
Islam (4/4): Baghdad, Ahmadiyya, adhān, Husayn, al-Fīl/Christianity/birth of Muhammad, Islam/slaves/divorce, basmala/letters/Medina, al-Ḥarām/Kaaba/aṣ-Ṣafā and al-Marwah
Hinduism/Buddhism (3/3): bodhisattvas, vegetarianism, Ganges River, Durga/Diwali/Ramakrishna, Moon/four/lamp, Mara/nirvana/jataka stories
Other (2/3): Guru Granth Sahib, Báb, Serer/snakes/Ra, apostolic/miaphysitism/neopaganism, Cheondo-gyo/Sun Myung Moon/Presbyterianism

Two out of the three Other bonuses did have significant Christianity content. With regards to the Bible specifically, the tossups on Mary, the Ascension, and Nebuchadnezzar clued the Bible, and the bonuses on annihilationism, foreskins, and Shuvah all mention the Bible.
Last edited by 1.82 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy
Lulu

Post by $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy »

I negged the tossup on Alberta with "Athabasca oil sands"; this is entirely my fault since I buzzed after "this governmental entity" was read, but all the clues before that refer to "this region," which seems unnecessarily coy for describing an administrative division that has a name.
Sam Rombro
Arizona '20
Maryland '18
Writer, NAQT (inactive)
Æthelred the Unready Steady Cook
Lulu

Post by Æthelred the Unready Steady Cook »

FYI the extra like about Ali is added as a third and final line to the shahada, if you want to consider it part of the shahada at all, rather than just a separate customary utterance. On this basis the way the question in phrased means that you can't take shahada.
Daoud Jackson
Oxford 2014-2018
President Oxford University Quiz Society 2016-7