Gauging interest for late spring Oxbridge mirror in NYC

Old college threads.
armitage
Wakka

Gauging interest for late spring Oxbridge mirror in NYC

Post by armitage »

I've talked to some people about potentially organizing an Oxford or Cambridge mirror in NYC in the last two weeks of March, or in April avoiding either national. I think this could be a self-running tournament if we can find enough staff and the field isn't too large; it could also be staffed using bye teams like ECSO was in 2010. Would anyone else be interested?
Richard
Evan Lynch
Lulu

Re: Gauging interest for late spring Oxbridge mirror in NYC

Post by Evan Lynch »

As far as the current status of the Cambridge set goes:

The British history and literature are essentially finished, in case there's a wish to start Americanising this set. It would also be mostly playable unamericanised - that's the approach we take with everything regular and above in the UK, and it usually works out fine. The American history has progressed somewhat less, so we would be able to coordinate with any Americanisers to write questions that can be adjusted quite easily for both audiences, without causing any balance issues in the set.

The set will consist of 14 packets of 24/24 (powermarked), is intended to reflect regular difficulty, and we'd be happy to offer it for a mirror fee of, say, $25 per team.
Evan Lynch

Southampton '22
Cambridge '17
UK Quizbowl (2018-, President 2021-)
quizbowl.co.uk
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Evan Lynch wrote:As far as the current status of the Cambridge set goes:

The British history and literature are essentially finished, in case there's a wish to start Americanising this set. It would also be mostly playable unamericanised - that's the approach we take with everything regular and above in the UK, and it usually works out fine. The American history has progressed somewhat less, so we would be able to coordinate with any Americanisers to write questions that can be adjusted quite easily for both audiences, without causing any balance issues in the set.

The set will consist of 14 packets of 24/24 (powermarked), is intended to reflect regular difficulty, and we'd be happy to offer it for a mirror fee of, say, $25 per team.
Might I recommend 16 packets of 21/21? It's the same number of questions, except they would all get used. (Assuming you're not planning to have 24 tossup rounds.)
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Ewan MacAulay
Lulu

Post by Ewan MacAulay »

gyre and gimble wrote:
Evan Lynch wrote:As far as the current status of the Cambridge set goes:

Might I recommend 16 packets of 21/21? It's the same number of questions, except they would all get used. (Assuming you're not planning to have 24 tossup rounds.)
We're going for the same format as last year's MO, with all 24 5-line tossups being played in a game (or a timed format, whichever), with the extra space mostly going in geo, CE, and general knowledge. We're mavericks like that.
Last edited by Ewan MacAulay on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ewan MacAulay
Oxford 2015
Cambridge 2018
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I would probably travel to NYC to play this!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

I'd be interested in playing this.
Michael Z
NYU '13
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

armitage wrote:I've talked to some people about potentially organizing an Oxford or Cambridge mirror in NYC in the last two weeks of March, or in April avoiding either national. I think this could be a self-running tournament if we can find enough staff and the field isn't too large; it could also be staffed using bye teams like ECSO was in 2010. Would anyone else be interested?
I would be interested in playing this as long as the resemblance to 2010 ECSO doesn't go any further than bye teams staffing.

EDIT: Would prefer between or post-nationals (April 15 or 29)
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

Things are starting to get organized. Please fill out this form so we can figure out the date and set to use, and I can make the results into a team formation spreadsheet later. Thanks!
Richard
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

Are there any significant differences between the Oxford and Cambridge sets?
Michael Z
NYU '13
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Post by Red Panda Cub »

csheep wrote:Are there any significant differences between the Oxford and Cambridge sets?
The Oxford one has been entirely written and already used for a tournament, while the Cambridge won't be used for its first mirror for about a month.

Edit: Oxford one is 20/20 with 6 line TUs, Cambridge is 24/24 with 5 line TUs and distributed kind of like last year's MO.
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

As an old person, I don't get to play normal NAQT tournaments, so the opportunity to play something that imitates NAQT is exciting. I also like powers, and I take it that the Cambridge set has powers.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Evan Lynch
Lulu

Post by Evan Lynch »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:As an old person, I don't get to play normal NAQT tournaments, so the opportunity to play something that imitates NAQT is exciting. I also like powers, and I take it that the Cambridge set has powers.
Yes, the set will be powermarked.
Evan Lynch

Southampton '22
Cambridge '17
UK Quizbowl (2018-, President 2021-)
quizbowl.co.uk
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I would also likely play this.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Ewan MacAulay wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:
We're going for the same format as last year's MO, with all 24 5-line tossups being played in a game (or a timed format, whichever), with the extra space mostly going in geo, CE, and general knowledge. We're mavericks like that.
Sounds good. I didn't realize that these questions would be short, so never mind my recommendation.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

It looks like the preference is for Oxford Open, and on 3/25/17, so we'll go with that. The site will most likely be NYU, with the exact location pending. Since we're planning to run it with bye teams staffing, the field cap is 9 teams, for now.
Apologies to anyone who picked 4/1; I didn't see that Princeton had claimed it for Eisenhower Memorial Tournament.

I've shared a team formation spreadsheet with everyone who filled out the poll. Shoot me an email/PM if you want access.

edit: Regarding fees, the plan is to charge something slightly above the mirror fee so we can pay the writers and give some nominal compensation to the non-team readers.
Richard
Edward Lansdale
Lulu

Post by Edward Lansdale »

I would like to play this.
Mirza Ahmed
New York University '12
Keck Graduate Institute '15
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Hey, maybe this should be formally announced soon and teams should form.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance