Cambridge Open mirror in NYC (07/01/2017)

Old college threads.
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Cambridge Open mirror in NYC (07/01/2017)

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

I am planning a NYC mirror of the Cambridge Open set on July 1st. If no other spaces are available, I plan on using classrooms in Hamilton Hall on Columbia University's campus, because I live 3 minutes away.

Because I am unable to reserve rooms in Hamilton Hall over the summer, the field for this tournament will be capped at six teams, so that the tournament can be run in a very small number of rooms. The activity in Hamilton Hall on Saturdays in the summer is low enough for there to easily be 3 available rooms at any one time, but it cannot be 100% guaranteed that all three of those rooms will be unoccupied for 8 hours continuously - there's a small chance that one of those rooms might have to move once during the day, and the probability grows with the field size.

The entry fee for this tournament will be equal to the mirror fee, plus $30 to pay for staff lunch/transport/etc. You will receive a $10 discount for bringing a buzzer.

To form teams, please sign up in this spreadsheet, and post in this thread with your team name, number of buzzers you are bringing, and number of staffers you are bringing once a team has been finalized.
Last edited by Urech hydantoin synthesis on Mon May 29, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Edward Lansdale
Lulu

Re: Cambridge Open mirror in NYC (07/01/2017)

Post by Edward Lansdale »

The buzzer penalty strikes me as weirdly onerous. There should be more than enough buzzers between NYU's and Columbia's, and penalizing free agents/people no longer in school for not having buzzers is a tad unfair.
Mirza Ahmed
New York University '12
Keck Graduate Institute '15
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Edward Lansdale wrote:The buzzer penalty strikes me as weirdly onerous. There should be more than enough buzzers between NYU's and Columbia's, and penalizing free agents/people no longer in school for not having buzzers is a tad unfair.
It's not uncommon practice to charge open teams higher fees than school teams already, so if this has this effect then I think it's fine. Also, the more buzzers the better, in case someone brings that awful system that makes a sound like a dying bird.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Edward Lansdale
Lulu

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:It's not uncommon practice to charge open teams higher fees than school teams already, so if this has this effect then I think it's fine. Also, the more buzzers the better, in case someone brings that awful system that makes a sound like a dying bird.
The only good reason for charging open teams a higher fee than school teams is to prevent the former from crowding out the latter at a tournament during the school year. I don't think that rationale applies to summer tournaments, where people prefer to play on teams that are not restricted to students from the same school.

If the objective is to discourage open teams by charging them a higher fee, just charge a higher base fee. Buzzer penalties may not necessarily discourage open teams since it is perfectly possible for such teams to procure buzzers by borrowing or buying them.

It's pretty clear the rationale in this case is to avoid a shortage of buzzers. I'm not an economist, but I don't think you can solve a shortage of a good by taxing people who don't have it.
Mirza Ahmed
New York University '12
Tidus

I've changed the fee schedule to something that hopefully sounds more acceptable.
Ben Zhang

Columbia University '18
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

If there's demand, would people potentially be okay with allowing a five-person team or two? Don't think it's wise to have too many teams - six is ideal for a double round robin + finals setup, and minimizes the number of rooms we need (3) but wouldn't want to shut out people who want to play. As long as we're not forming stupid superteams like Eric/Jerry/me or something this way.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Majin Buu Roi
Wakka

Post by Majin Buu Roi »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:If there's demand, would people potentially be okay with allowing a five-person team or two? Don't think it's wise to have too many teams - six is ideal for a double round robin + finals setup, and minimizes the number of rooms we need (3) but wouldn't want to shut out people who want to play. As long as we're not forming stupid superteams like Eric/Jerry/me or something this way.
I'd definitely be amenable to that.
Jason Golfinos
Trinity School '13 (inexplicably in charge, 2011-13)
Princeton '17 (inexplicably in charge, 2015-16)
Cambridge '18
HLS '22
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

Would there be time/interest for any side events? With 6 teams and the shorter toss-up length, presumably the main event would finish somewhat early.

I'd selfishly like to play The Modern Age in particular, though with quite a few rounds and bonuses maybe that's not too feasible logistically?
Michael Z
NYU '13
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

csheep wrote:Would there be time/interest for any side events? With 6 teams and the shorter toss-up length, presumably the main event would finish somewhat early.

I'd selfishly like to play The Modern Age in particular, though with quite a few rounds and bonuses maybe that's not too feasible logistically?
There are 24 tossups per packet and ideally we'd play a double round robin.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Yo, so I'm very much in favor with going ahead and allowing 5-person teams, or alternatively expanding the field if we think we can get away with it. What would others favor?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

As someone who hasn't found a team yet, I would be very happy if we could open up space for a five person team or two. Considering the field, I don't think that it would make the tournament any less competitive, depending on what the theoretical five person teams are.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

wcheng wrote:As someone who hasn't found a team yet, I would be very happy if we could open up space for a five person team or two. Considering the field, I don't think that it would make the tournament any less competitive, depending on what the theoretical five person teams are.
Given that there's a (hypothetical) full UMD team available and at least three more people still on the waitlist (presumably to increase) I honestly at this point would propose taking the gamble and expanding to 8 teams AND allowing a five-person team or two. I feel like the number of classes will be relatively limited; furthermore, if rooms can't be reserved, then we would presumably be given priority by most reasonable people who are just looking for a room for personal purposes, if they know we're running something. We could start early (maybe at 8am) to make sure there's time to get through at least ten rounds tournament (7 prelims/3 playoffs) in case of a fiasco.

I don't know if there are any major potential issues with campus security, but even as a non-student I've never had issues getting into Hamilton or Kent during the summer when I've been to Columbia practices, not even after the sun sets.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

that awful system that makes a sound like a dying bird
Is that our buzzer system you're talking about?

I just put myself down as a staffer on the spreadsheet and it looks to me as if I'm the only one staffing so far. I don't know if there are other people who have otherwise signaled intent to staff outside, but I think that expanding to field to 8 teams should be put off until we have at least 4 committed staffers.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

ProfessorIanDuncan wrote:
that awful system that makes a sound like a dying bird
Is that our buzzer system you're talking about?

I just put myself down as a staffer on the spreadsheet and it looks to me as if I'm the only one staffing so far. I don't know if there are other people who have otherwise signaled intent to staff outside, but I think that expanding to field to 8 teams should be put off until we have at least 4 committed staffers.
Ophir mentioned that we could expand to seven teams and have the bye team staff - less than ideal (especially since one of the teams has 2 players right now) but would let the UMD team play. The big issue would be that we'd probably have to make the three bottom bracket teams staff two rounds, and they'd each only get 8 games (assuming 7 prelims -> 4/3 split). So it would kind of suck.

That said, there is money set aside to compensate staffers - so that could be put to use.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

Now that the tournament is just two weeks away, are there any updates on the field situation?
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

wcheng wrote:Now that the tournament is just two weeks away, are there any updates on the field situation?
To my understanding there will be an expansion to 8. We need 2 staff to make this happen.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Tidus

Yeah, this tournament can be expanded to 8 teams. However, at this point, there are only 2 moderators.
Ben Zhang

Columbia University '18
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Urech hydantoin synthesis wrote:Yeah, this tournament can be expanded to 8 teams. However, at this point, there are only 2 moderators.
Ben/I are offering $25 plus lunch (paid via the fees) for staff. Please contact one of us if interested!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

We are a week away, and we have confirmed enough staff for this event. Would free agents be okay being combined onto a single scab team?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:We are a week away, and we have confirmed enough staff for this event. Would free agents be okay being combined onto a single scab team?
No objections here.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Just curious: are HS scabs welcome?
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Antrobus63 wrote:Just curious: are HS scabs welcome?
Of course they are! If you'd like to field one, we can just put the existing free agents onto the college open teams. High schoolers can play with college players too.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Edward Lansdale
Lulu

How much is the mirror fee? At the current exchange rate, £25 equals $31.81, but that sounds unwieldy. Are we rounding it down to $30 (plus $30 for staffers)?
Mirza Ahmed
New York University '12
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Edward Lansdale wrote:How much is the mirror fee? At the current exchange rate, £25 equals $31.81, but that sounds unwieldy. Are we rounding it down to $30 (plus $30 for staffers)?
Ewan and I decided on a $32/28 split for mirror fees/staff, so pretty close to what you were thinking. $60 is a nice neat $15 per player, so I think that would be ideal.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Hey folks - here's the proposed schedule for Saturday:

Check-In: 8 to 8:45 AM.
Start: All games will start by 9 AM sharp. This is to make sure that, if we have enough rooms, we don't waste time.
Prelims: 9AM to approximately 1:30-2 - Prelims (7 game round robin)
Lunch break until 2:30
Playoffs: - Either three or six rounds, depending on what people want and whether we get forced to move. I'm personally in favor of more rounds, but whatever works - will play it by ear.

I've tentatively dumped all the free agents on one team, pending any additional signups.

If there are no objections, we will make this the official schedule.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

This is still happening at Hamilton, right?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

grapesmoker wrote:This is still happening at Hamilton, right?
Yes - since nobody has objected to the proposed schedule, this is still happening at Hamilton. We'll meet in 309 according to the proposed schedule.

PM me if you have questions!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

FYI: The doors except the right door is locked.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
reindeer
Wakka

Post by reindeer »

Stats here. Congratulations to Jael!
Olivia M
TJ, MIT, Harvard, ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

A few things:

1) Thanks to everyone who played, and congrats to Jael! I think this went about as well as one could hope for a slapdash event.
2) I suck at this game.
3) Perhaps British people have different tastes than myself, but this was the worst "all-subject" event I have ever played. This is not due the unadulterated British content (which was expected, and I enjoyed Oxford Open). I would not recommend this tournament for an American audience, and would strongly encourage choosing NASAT or Oxford Open over it, given a choice.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

Thanks to all the organizers and staffers.

I would say I preferred CamO, by a little, to the Oxford (American) Tournament, but that perception might be colored by a couple of questions I particularly enjoyed. From the perspective of someone who's not intimately in tune with the canon/topics and might be less sensitive to deviations, CamO felt similar to the OAT in terms of difficulty. The British-ness of the content is to be expected, and I thought this set was only slightly more British, despite being un-Americanized, than the OAT. A few egregious examples come to mind but they didn't felt overwhelming to me personally. I can only really comment on a limited part of the Qs, but I would say music had some notable difficulty swings. Overall this tournament felt quite "normal" to me and I don't view it as a bad tournament, nor a standout one. It could be I'm looking for different things from quiz bowl than others, but CamO was an overall enjoyable experience for me.

Some of the bonus lead-ins had some lengthy attempts at humor, at least one of which I recall is predicated on what I believe was a Cambridge in-joke of some sort, which might have fell a bit flat.
Michael Z
NYU '13
Ewan MacAulay
Lulu

Post by Ewan MacAulay »

Hi all,

Thanks for playing our set, and hope that at least some of it was enjoyable - sorry to hear that it didn't quite meet with the universal acclaim we'd hoped for. I've requested a private discussion forum, but in the meantime I'd be very grateful for any comments either in general or on the science to be sent to the e-mail address on my profile.
Ewan MacAulay
Oxford 2015
Cambridge 2018
Edward Lansdale
Lulu

As possibly the only American quizbowler with some knowledge of cricket, I was disappointed there weren't more cricket questions!

Echoing Michael, I didn't think it was a bad set either.
Mirza Ahmed
New York University '12
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy
Lulu

Post by $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy »

Edward Lansdale wrote:As possibly the only American quizbowler with some knowledge of cricket
fake news
Sam Rombro
Arizona '20
Maryland '18
Writer, NAQT (inactive)
nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

Edward Lansdale wrote:As possibly the only American quizbowler with some knowledge of cricket
You're definitely not the only one
Pranav Sivakumar
Barrington Station MS '13, Barrington High School --> IMSA '17
UC Berkeley '21
Edward Lansdale
Lulu

nsb2 wrote:
You're definitely not the only one
Good to know.
Mirza Ahmed
New York University '12