FACL 3 -- 8-8-17

Old college threads.
nsb2
Lulu

FACL 3 -- 8-8-17

Post by nsb2 »

For those of you who don't know, I've been writing the third packet of my FACL (fine arts common link) series. This packet will be noticeably harder than the previous packets (which are posted on the collegiate packet archive), probably around CO difficulty, and is tossups-only. For those of you who've seen/played earlier iterations of this, I've made an effort in this packet to remove early name drops and generally keep the difficulty uniform.

The distribution will be 7 art, 7 music, and 6 art+music; all tossups will be (roughly) common links. Unfortunately, there will no jazz or film in these packets because I don't know them well enough to have good difficulty control.

This will very likely be played Tuesday (8/8) or otherwise in about 2 weeks. If you're interested in playing on a team of two or as a free agent, you can post below or PM me. Depending on the amount of interest, staffers other than me may be required -- I'll give an update about that tomorrow or early on Monday. Sign-ups will close (and free agents will be assigned to teams) on Monday night.

If you're interested in playing, let me know what time would work best for you on Tuesday; I'll announce the final time tomorrow night or Monday morning.
Last edited by nsb2 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pranav Sivakumar
Barrington Station MS '13, Barrington High School --> IMSA '17
UC Berkeley '21
csheep
Wakka

Re: FACL 3 -- 8-8-17

Post by csheep »

I'll play this. Might this not work better as a shootout? Getting staffers together for just one packet seems like logistical overkill.

If this is doubles I welcome someone who knows art to team with me.
Michael Z
NYU '13
setophaga
Lulu

Post by setophaga »

I'd also be interested in this. I second the idea of a shootout.
Sameer Apte
Carnegie Mellon '19
New England Conservatory '21
Stony Brook '25
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yo dawg where's the film at
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

Cheynem wrote:Yo dawg where's the film at
Clark Smith has volunteered to contribute some jazz and film for the next edition of this, but he won't be able to write it for this packet. However, all areas of fine arts will be represented in future sets.

A shootout format is a good idea considering that this is only one packet -- right now, it seems (assuming a maximum of 7 or 8 teams are playing) that all the teams will be playing in one Skype room with me moderating. It's probably a good idea to keep teams of two, since people who are good at music can team up with people who are good at vis arts and vice versa.

Since not many people have suggested a time, I'll be reading this at 9 PM Central Time on Tuesday, 8/8.
Last edited by nsb2 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pranav Sivakumar
UC Berkeley '21
csheep
Wakka

Post by csheep »

If we're doing a 10+ shootout I think Discord might be better than Skype - better connection quality, no weird adding/dropping issues, and just a generally easier interface to work with for this scale, imo.
Michael Z
NYU '13
setophaga
Lulu

Post by setophaga »

Like Michael, also looking for a teammate who knows visual arts. PM me if interested.
Sameer Apte
Carnegie Mellon '19
New England Conservatory '21
Stony Brook '25
nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

Michael and Sameer, I can put one of you on a team with Henry Baer (who does know visual arts).

As for Discord, I haven't used it but will try it out on Monday -- I'll close the field and put out an update then.
Pranav Sivakumar
UC Berkeley '21
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Not sure how much the audience overlaps for this, but my playtest of Eyes 9 is already scheduled for 8/8.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

Mike Bentley wrote:Not sure how much the audience overlaps for this, but my playtest of Eyes 9 is already scheduled for 8/8.
I am aware of this, but 8/8 is the only day I can read this packet for the next few weeks, and several people have indicated that they can't make it until that evening.
Pranav Sivakumar
UC Berkeley '21
nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

Update:

The field is now closed, and free agents have been assigned to teams.

As Michael suggested, this will be played via Discord at 8 PM Central Time today. All seven teams will be playing in one room in a shootout-style format. To access the Discord server, you can go to the following link: https://discord.gg/wXpQEX6

If you're not planning to play, please let me know ASAP.
Pranav Sivakumar
UC Berkeley '21
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Worth noting that Kate Kohn's [etc.] (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20157&p=334310) is being playtested at the exact same time. Thanks to channels, that's probably not a problem, but I thought it'd be helpful so people know they can't just assume the #packet channel will be used.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Post by 1.82 »

I'm not sure why people have begun making threads for every new packet they create, considering that there's a thread on this board for the explicit purpose of posting about packets so as not to clog the boards with threads like this.

I'm posting it here but it applies to every similar thread.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
nsb2
Lulu

Post by nsb2 »

This packet has been uploaded to the archive; you should be able to find it soon under the FACL listing.

If you have any suggestions regarding this packet, please let me know; I'll likely be writing at least one more packet this year.
Pranav Sivakumar
UC Berkeley '21